Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85 corvette which air intake to buy? SLP CAI or vortex rammer air intake?

Bendeco

I have an 85 corvette and looking to put a SLP cold air intake on it or the vortex rammer.
SLP:
cost $143
draws cold air from outside through a scoop
SLP claims 20 hp

BPP VORTEX RAMMER:
cost $318
brings larger amount of air into the filter but from the radiator area.
has a velocity stack. I don't know what that is?
BPP claims 22 hp and 3.5 tenths reduction in 1/4 mile

So the question is, which is better?
Both look cool
The sound, sounds good from the Internet people
Both you have to cut the radiator should to install them.

Also if I bought the Vortex should I buy the black one or the clear one?
clear one you could see if the filter is dirty and it would look cool but the black would look like a cleaner install.

please help corvette action centre your my only hope.

20 more HP would be almost a 10% increase. No aftermarket intake can do that. I'd expect more in the area of 2-5HP increase. Buy the intake for looks, not performance.

20 more HP would be almost a 10% increase. No aftermarket intake can do that. I'd expect more in the area of 2-5HP increase. Buy the intake for looks, not performance.

Mikey gets the Saturday afternoon "Beacon of Reality Award".

If it's a (nearly) stock engine, don't fall victim to all the "glitz, glamour and B.S." As previously mentioned, the best you'll most likely get is between 2-5 H.P.

Do yourself a favor and get a K&N air filter and save the $$$. It's re-usable and will last you forever(with the recharge kit.) I have one in my '90 C4 and I love it. Plus they sound pretty nice. It'll give your Vette a little "throatier" sound. Plus you'll notice a better response in the throttle.

Here's the part # for the K&N 33-2014. It lists for $75.00. Amazon has it for $65. Here's a link.
Amazon.com: K&N 33-2014 High Performance Replacement Air Filter: Automotive

Last edited:
I have an 85 corvette and looking to put a SLP cold air intake on it or the vortex rammer.
SLP:
cost $143
draws cold air from outside through a scoop
SLP claims 20 hp

BPP VORTEX RAMMER:
cost $318
brings larger amount of air into the filter but from the radiator area.
has a velocity stack. I don't know what that is?
BPP claims 22 hp and 3.5 tenths reduction in 1/4 mile

So the question is, which is better?
Both look cool
The sound, sounds good from the Internet people
Both you have to cut the radiator should to install them.

Also if I bought the Vortex should I buy the black one or the clear one?
clear one you could see if the filter is dirty and it would look cool but the black would look like a cleaner install.

please help corvette action centre your my only hope.
I have an 88 with the SLP and very happy with it so far, it was fairly easy to install and worked fine with MAF deleted ebl ecm conversion. There is a distinct snorkel air drawing sound coming from outside the car from under the front bumper that freaked me out at first.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

I have an 88 with the SLP and very happy with it so far, it was fairly easy to install and worked fine with MAF deleted ebl ecm conversion. There is a distinct snorkel air drawing sound coming from outside the car from under the front bumper that freaked me out at first.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Thanks is for the first hand experience. That helps a lot. I'm going for the SLP. Seems to be the better setup. If I get 2 hp that's more than what I had before.

this is what i did

Thanks is for the first hand experience. That helps a lot. I'm going for the SLP. Seems to be the better setup. If I get 2 hp that's more than what I had before.

i would think you would get more than 2?

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom