Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question regarding VIN??

B

bnee

I am considering buying a 1996 Grand Sport and am doing some research on the VIN. The only thing I am unsure of when reading the specs page on this site is the 9th character, which is shown as a 1 on your website. The VIN on the car I am looking at is:

1G1YY2250T5600145
^

I am curious as to what the zero means instead of a one. Any info is appreciated in advance.

bnee,
The 9th character is listed as a "Check Digit" in my Service Manual which I assume means it could be any number from 0 to 9.

bnee said:
I am considering buying a 1996 Grand Sport and am doing some research on the VIN. The only thing I am unsure of when reading the specs page on this site is the 9th character, which is shown as a 1 on your website. The VIN on the car I am looking at is:

1G1YY2250T5600145
^

I am curious as to what the zero means instead of a one. Any info is appreciated in advance.

You can find the VIN information, right here: 1996 Grand Sport Specifications

1G1YY2250T5600145
^

:beer Some one helped me with this earlier today!
[FONT=&quot]Transliterating the numbers[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Transliteration consists of removing all of the letters, and substituting them with their appropriate numerical counterparts.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]These numerical alternatives can be found in the following chart. ''I'', ''O'' and ''Q'' are not allowed, and can not exist in a valid VIN[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For the purpose of this chart, they have been filled in with ''N/A'' (not applicable).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Numerical digits use their own values.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Transliteration key: values for VIN Decoding[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]'A': 1 - 'B': 2 - 'C': 3 - 'D': 4 - 'E': 5 - 'F': 6 - 'G': 7 - 'H': 8 - 'I': {n/a} - 'J': 1 - 'K': 2 - 'L': 3 - 'M': 4 - 'N': 5 - 'O': {n/a} - 'P': 7 - 'Q': {n/a} - 'R': 9 - 'S': 2 - 'T': 3 - 'U': 4 - 'V': 5 - 'W': 6 - 'X': 7 - 'Y': 8 - 'Z': 9[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]'S' is 2, and not 1. There is no left-alignment linearity.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Weights used in calculation[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The following is the weight factor for each position in the VIN.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The 9th position is that of the check digit. It has been substituted with a 0, which will cancel it out in the multiplication step.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Position (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-[10]-11-12-13-14-15-16-17)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Weight.. (8-7-6-5-4-3-2-10-[??]-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Worked example[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Consider the hypothetical VIN 1M8GDM9A_KP042788, where the underscore will be the check digit.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]VIN# 1 M 8 G D M 9 A ?? K P 0 4 2 7 8 8[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]=[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Value 1 4 8 7 4 4 9 1 ?? 2 7 0 4 2 7 8 8[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]X[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Weight 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 10 ?? 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]=[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Products 8 28 48 35 16 12 18 10 ?? 18 56 0 24 10 28 24 16 = [/FONT][FONT=&quot]sum of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]351[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The VINs value is calculated from the above table, this number will be used in the rest of the calculation. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Copy over the ''weights'' from the above table.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The ''products'' row is a result of the multiplication of the vertical columns: ''Value'' and ''Weight.''[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The products (8,28,48,35..24,16, etc.) are all added together to yield a sum of ''351''[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Find the remainder after dividing by 11,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]351 ÷ 11 = 31 '''10'''/11[/FONT]

FRACTION CALCULATOR: http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/math/fractionssimplify.php

[FONT=&quot]The remainder is the check digit. If the remainder is 10 then the check digit is X.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In this example the remainder is 10, so the check digit is transliterated into ''X''.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With a check digit of 'X' the VIN: 1M8GDM9A_KP042788 is written as: 1M8GDM9A''X''KP042788. ''Straight-ones'' (seventeen consecutive '1's) will suffice the check-digit. This is because a value of one, multiplied against 89 (sum of weights), is still 89. And 89 % 11 is 1, the check digit. This is an easy way to test a VIN-check algorithm.[/FONT]

Thus, [FONT=&quot]the VIN is:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 1 M 8 G D M 9 A X K P 0 4 2 7 8 8[/FONT]

:confused :confused :confused :confused :confused
In order to prevent mistakes when VIN are entered into computers there is a mathematical formula as noted above used to calculate the check digit which is why the check digit varies .
The computer does the calc and compares it with the check digit to make sure correct sequence of numbers has been entered

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom