Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Plate used?

Do you use a front plate?

• Yes I do

Votes: 146 31.7%
  • I'm a rebel, so nope

Votes: 204 44.3%
  • It's not required in my state

Votes: 111 24.1%

• Total voters
In most states that require a front plate, the language of the law doesn't require the plate mounted on the outside of the vehicle. For example, in Ohio I emailed the state patrol and they responded that the front plate only has to be visible from the front and mounted to prevent swinging and movement. Mine is "mounted" inside the front windshield with velcro to the glass. There's good chance other state's laws are similiar.

Reminds me of my growing up days in Georgia when we taped the license plate to the rear windshield of an old pickup.

I can't believe all the resistance for putting a front plate on a c5. If you install a matching color license surround on the front, having a plate on the front doesn't really look that bad. I am talking about a c5. The newer ones, that is a whole different story.

I personally think that a C-5 with a front plate SUCKS! But that is just my opinion. . . . . . . :v of all kinds but I really don't like the looks of the front plate on anything to speak of. It doesn't look real bad on some of the old classics, they were better designed for it; I guess they look more natural but I would rather not have one on the front at all.

:pat "A PROUD US ARMY VETERAN":pat

Bill :w

hoosierdaddy said:
I personally think that a C-5 with a front plate SUCKS! But that is just my opinion. . . . . . . :v of all kinds but I really don't like the looks of the front plate on anything to speak of. It doesn't look real bad on some of the old classics, they were better designed for it; I guess they look more natural but I would rather not have one on the front at all.

:pat "A PROUD US ARMY VETERAN":pat

Bill :w
I really don't like the front plate either, hence why I started this thread waaaaaaaaay back in the day

A proud Air Force and soon to be Army veteran:beer

I've driven vettes for 10 years and I've never even been looked at about my front plate.I live in a state where the front plate is required. I wrecked my c-4 in early June. I replaced it with a 01 c-5 in late June. I got pulled over in August in the town I live in for not having a front plate. I asked the deputy why he was hassling me for not having a front plate. He said I'm not hassling you. Just because you drive a vette doesn't mean you don't have to follow the laws like everyone else. He asked me if I was issued 2 personalized plates or just one. He said since you were issued 2, then they were supposed to be both installed on the car. I told him I was sorry that he had to probably drive a Yugo and he had a hard on for anyone who got to drive a vette. I've since installed my front plate. HATE THE LOOK. I think I'm going to try the car show excuse. I'll take the chance since It's the first time in 10 years.

You guys should consider yourself lucky!:L

Here in the Netherlands, its supposed to be like this:

fame2004zo_19.jpg

haarlem_30.jpg

Now, thats ugly!! And thats why I havent done it to my C5!;) :D
I take the risk of a tickit!

FRONT PLATE USEAGE

I got the new bracket from NCM that attaches to the air dam behind and below the front of my C6. That was two weeks ago. Have only had car a month, so hope it works.

Hi All, Real simple I live in NJ and they require a front plate so I mounted it and then covered iT with the corvette cover and some chrome inset letters looks great!!! I got stopped one night at a spot check point and told the Police Officer that I went to a small local car show and forgot to take it off, I am Really sorry Officer Hee! Hee! Hee! Worked Like a Charm.............Dr C5 Corvette

Dr C5 Corvette said:
so I mounted it and then covered iT with the corvette cover and some chrome inset letters looks great!!!
how did you get it to look right? I've looked into this and the cover never reallly fit decently.

Maybe the frame around the plate is too large? mine looks great I don't know how to post a picture yet or I would take a pic for you :(...Dr C5 Corvette

Dr. C5,
See if THIS LINK in the Site Help & Feedback forum is of any assistance in uploading pictures. In particular, take a look at MsSchroder's Post #2 for tips about either uploading pictures as attachments to a post, or linking to them from a photo-hosting website site.

:w
-Patrick

I suction-cupped mine to the inside of the windshield, passenger side corner.

VETTEX2 said:
how did you get it to look right? I've looked into this and the cover never reallly fit decently.

Ok here are some pics of my front plate with the tag behind! ....... Dr C5:)

Changing my vote

I originally intended to be a rebel and not run with the required front plate, but I changed my mind. I ordered the clear front plate cover, which is an exact match of the standard cover and installed that over the plate. It doesn't look as good as the matching quicksilver Corvette cover, but it's not bad.

It's raining, so I can't back the car out of the garage to get a better view, but I think I like it. It definitely looks better than the plate frame, whether it's black or painted. The way I see it, I special ordered the USMC Vet plates, might as well show both of them off.

SGTRJS is what I wanted, but I couldn't justify the extra $35. In Ohio, veteran plates are available at no extra charge, assuming you qualify for one.

justafamilyman said:
Hi To All,
This is NYS. Whatever it takes to make things worse. Law requires 2 plates. The good news is that the NYS plate looks real great with the EBM and the front plate holder. So I got lucky, it looks real good. If I had any other color, it would look real bad.
Blue Borg Brian 1 of 58

Here's another alternative to New York State's requirements (the car has a front plate, trust me):

Corvette-Sleepy-Hollow-CC.jpg

A better picture

Here is a better picture of my front plate and the clear cover. It doesn't picture well, but I don't think it looks too bad in person.

05-17-06_1832.jpg

sgtrjs said:
Here is a better picture of my front plate and the clear cover. It doesn't picture well, but I don't think it looks too bad in person.

05-17-06_1832.jpg

Ray - it looks very clean. I currently have my front plate covered with the stock factory cover. But what you have is a very nice alternative. BTW - I love the color and year of your car.

Remo:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom