Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Plate used?

Do you use a front plate?

• Yes I do

Votes: 146 31.7%
  • I'm a rebel, so nope

Votes: 204 44.3%
  • It's not required in my state

Votes: 111 24.1%

• Total voters
For those folks that, by law, have to run a front plate here's an alternative. Take the "black" factory supplied front licence plate mounting piece to a body shop and have it painted to match your car.

Remo:cool

Remo said:
For thise folks that, by law, have to run a front plate here's an alternative. Take the "black" factory supplied front licence plate mounting piece to a body shop and have it painted to match your car.

Remo:cool

Looks great:

Remo's plate--------------------------Guy's plate.
plates

:w
Guy

I know they also come in red (there's a book about that.) But there's also this bizarre rumor that they also come in banana yellow. Imagine- a yellow Corvette? :crazy

(I'm going to take cover now.)

-Patrick

Patrick said:
I know they also come in red (there's a book about that.) But there's also this bizarre rumor that they also come in banana yellow. Imagine- a yellow Corvette? :crazy

(I'm going to take cover now.)

-Patrick
I've heard this true but I have my doubts

Me too! I've heard of yellow Vettes, that is about the only thing yellow looks good on; everthing else looks like a taxi cab :L

Yellow Corvette?

hoosierdaddy said:
Me too! I've heard of yellow Vettes, that is about the only thing yellow looks good on; everthing else looks like a taxi cab :L

Yellow Corvette WHAT??? I have never seen a Yellow Corvette. But then again, I am color-blind.;)

I'm bummed because I'm leaving one state that has the two-plate law (Texas) for another state that has the two-plate law! (Colorado). Do the other states that don't require two plates not use laser?? Maybe two-plate States have a higher prison population and therefore just need more work to do....hence two plates for every car! Hmmmmmm, never thought about that!!!:W

Bounty Hunter 6,
I live in Colorado, and I have yet to put my front plate on my Z06. I carry it in the car, just in case I'm ever stopped, but in nearly two years of owning the Z06, I've never gotten so much as a second look from a cop because I was running without a front plate.

That said, in my local Corvette club, there are a number of members who have told stories about being pulled over several times for not having a front plate (in some places, it's happened more than once a day.) The only factor that seems to determine how much of an issue it is to the local law enforcement folks is the size of the municipality, and how many other serious issues the local LEO's have to deal with.

If, for example, you're moving to Colorado Springs, the CSPD isn't likely to pull you over for not having a front plate, if your back plate is properly shown, and the tags are current. But on a side trip up to Cripple Creek, going through some of the smaller mountain towns, you may run into higher scrutiny.

The solution folks from local club have made is to attached the front plate, and then find a means of affixing the "Corvette" plate cover over it for car shows and such. (Velcro is common method) They simply remove it when they go driving.

Hope this aids in your deliberations about Colorado's plate requirements.

-Patrick

Bounty Hunter 6 said:
I'm bummed because I'm leaving one state that has the two-plate law (Texas) for another state that has the two-plate law! (Colorado). Do the other states that don't require two plates not use laser?? Maybe two-plate States have a higher prison population and therefore just need more work to do....hence two plates for every car! Hmmmmmm, never thought about that!!!:W

I am considering a potential job opportunity in Austin Texas. If you are telling me that I would probably get a ticket there without a front license plate, that might just be a DEAL BREAKER! I was there two weekends ago and in the span of two days saw about six Corvettes without front plates. Perhaps Austin PD is lax?

Craig

Z06ADCT said:
I am considering a potential job opportunity in Austin Texas. If you are telling me that I would probably get a ticket there without a front license plate, that might just be a DEAL BREAKER! I was there two weekends ago and in the span of two days saw about six Corvettes without front plates. Perhaps Austin PD is lax?

Craig

Craig, I wouldn't worry about it; take your chances. I have been pulled over several times, but my wife got a ticket one of the few times she was driving it. It all comes down to the cop; if he is having a bad day or just has a bad attitude about Vettes like the one that pulled me over the first time, then you'll probably get a ticket. And it doesn't matter the size town, I've been let go in eye-blink town and my wife got that ticket in Houston.

98TXRed said:
Craig, I wouldn't worry about it; take your chances. I have been pulled over several times, but my wife got a ticket one of the few times she was driving it. It all comes down to the cop; if he is having a bad day or just has a bad attitude about Vettes like the one that pulled me over the first time, then you'll probably get a ticket. And it doesn't matter the size town, I've been let go in eye-blink town and my wife got that ticket in Houston.

Fortunately when I purchased the car, the seller had a matching Millenium yellow license plate holder/bracket. I have it, so I can always use it just to get the ticket signed off. In Texas, does no front license plate count as an offense on your record as previously mentioned in this thread (3-points) or is it simply a fix-it ticket and fine like in California?

Craig

i live in newyork which is a two plate state but a lot of vettes here have no front plate. this is my second vette and so far i have had no problem with one plate.im sure if i got stopped for speeding or something the cop would say something. i just think the plate looks real bad on a white vette.i just seen a c6 with a front plate and man i think it really looks bad!!!! at least the c5 has a spot for it................later

Z06ADCT,
I wouldn't worry about it. Most of my buddies don't put their plate on and they rarely get harrassed. One guy has been pulled over twice, but had the plate under his cover and explained he just came from a car show (it was true) and they let him go. I just drive mine way too much, and getting a ticket for something like that just hinders any mods I might be saving for! Austin is pretty lax....
Glen

Patrick,
Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get to Colorado, this Texas heat is killing me! I'll be moving to the Springs, so hopefully I can put my cover on and live harrassment free.

Bounty Hunter 6 said:
Patrick,
Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get to Colorado, this Texas heat is killing me! I'll be moving to the Springs, so hopefully I can put my cover on and live harrassment free.

Good look'n ride Bounty Hunter 6,

I ssume your an Apatchie pilot, is that correct? Looks like 1st Cavalry, I was Air Moblile in the sixites; crewchief on a Huey!

Take care and thank you for defending our country, even with our problems we are still the best in the world.

Bill :pat

Thanks Hoosierdaddy, I appreciate the positive comments. Love the black coupe as well! mean looking! I'm actually an OH-58D Kiowa Warrior Pilot. We just got rid of the last of them here at Ft. Hood, but they served us very well for the year in Iraq. I actually served as the Troop Commander for E/1-7 Cav during OIF II, that is the 1-7 of "We Were Soldiers Once, and Young" fame (not to mention the infamous heraldry of Custer!). We pretty much served in a "Loach" role in Iraq, much like they did in Vietnam, except we were armed, too. Recon by fire! Anyway, my signature picture was the minute I pulled into the driveway the evening I bought my Coupe after coming home. Very happy moment for several reasons!

Anyway, take care of yourself and hope to run into you one of these days at one of the many Vette get-togethers!
Glen

Here's me and my horse in Iraq:
PC150023.jpg

Z06ADCT said:

Craig

Yo Craig!!

So far in Dallas, I haven't been stopped for being front plateless, but I've only had my C5 for 3 months. I do like Patrick suggests: mount the plate, but then put the cover back on over it. Then if you get stopped, try the "Dang, we did a show this past weekend, and I forgot I still had it covered."

I don't know how well story works.......I haven't had a chance to find out on my own yet.

front plate filler

I use the clear bubble (from Ecklers) that has the same lines as the stock cover. As soon as I looked at it from a few feet back after it was installed I hated the unfinished look that was around my plate. I used a piece of stainless mirror finish stock, and cut it to cover the entire surface. I mounted the plate over that, put the clear bubble in, and I'm a happy boy again.
G.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom