Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need rear end advice

WARVET

Corvette
1975 Coupe
Hey all, I just returned from my second tour for the war, and I have a problem after taking a couple of rides in the vette. (I did have to spin the the tires a bit)

I heard a metalic pop in the drive train. After looking closely at the rear end I can see the side half-shaft yoke on the driver's side is about a half inch sticking out of the differencial housing. Rear ends are not something I have worked on before and I need help to understand this better.

The ride is a 75 L48, 350, 4 speed. Mostly stock with true dual exhaust. I have replaced most of the suspension parts front and rear.

Any help with what caused this, what needs to be done to correct it, or what to do to trouble shoot this further will help me out. Thanks in advance.

Glenn

Glenn,
The side yokes in the diff are held in with circlips. Some yokes tend to wear on the end until they reach the point where the circlip actually pops off.
This is easy to check by popping off the diff cover.
If yours is sticking out farther than the opposite side this sounds like what has happened.
If you can get the cover off let us know what you see.

The complete differential has to come out of the car to inspect and repair it; at a minimum, you'll need a new yoke, probably two.

:beer

Glenn,
Welcome back home, I wish all were back. I'm down in New Haven and custom build these all the time. Contact me and I'll be glad to go over any questions you have. You have to look to see if the yoke is hitting the case, if it does it will grind the face down to the seal and if not stopped will wreck the case.
My email is gramadei@aep.us

Gary

Mine does the same thing. The shop I had the car at for other work once told me that this is not uncommon. The owner said the time to fix it was when the differential is rebuilt, but that I didn't really need to worry about it until whenever that time may be.

Mine does the same thing. The shop I had the car at for other work once told me that this is not uncommon. The owner said the time to fix it was when the differential is rebuilt, but that I didn't really need to worry about it until whenever that time may be.

Wow, if this is true - I could actually use the car? I don't have the cash right now for a differential rebuild so I was just letting the car sit in the garage.

Anyone else out there have a comment on this one?

Thanks to all who have responded...

Glenn

Theres a Corvette shop here in Elyria, that has been around for eons....He breathes Corvettes and he once told me that you could drive without the circlips on the stubs, because the geometry of the rear end (strut rods, shocks, springs, trailing arms) the shaft will only pull out so far an thats it. He also said that if the clip popped off, while not the greatest thing, but it would get chewed up in the heavy gears. Youmay get some noise more than usual but until you rebuild the complete section, drive it and enjoy it...:)

Glad your home...

Thanks so much all!

I jumped in as soon as I returned home tonight and took her out. Wow - I'm so happy that maybe I can drive her till the weather gets bad, then get the work done.

Thanks again.

Thanks so much all!

I jumped in as soon as I returned home tonight and took her out. Wow - I'm so happy that maybe I can drive her till the weather gets bad, then get the work done.

Thanks again.

You got it buddy.....LIfe is short and summer is even shorter.......enjoy

:upthumbs

Hey all, I just returned from my second tour for the war, and I have a problem after taking a couple of rides in the vette. (I did have to spin the the tires a bit)

I heard a metalic pop in the drive train. After looking closely at the rear end I can see the side half-shaft yoke on the driver's side is about a half inch sticking out of the differencial housing. Rear ends are not something I have worked on before and I need help to understand this better.

The ride is a 75 L48, 350, 4 speed. Mostly stock with true dual exhaust. I have replaced most of the suspension parts front and rear.

Any help with what caused this, what needs to be done to correct it, or what to do to trouble shoot this further will help me out. Thanks in advance.

Glenn
GLENN: THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE SIR. GLAD YOU ARE HOME. AS OTHERS HAVE SAID THIS IS COMMON. THE ONLY THING WITH DRIVING IT IS IF PART OF THE CLIP IS ROLLING AROUND IN THERE YOU COULD DAMAGE THE RING AND PINION. I THINK THAT I HAVE A COUPLE OF GOOD USED ONES IN MY SPARE PARTS BIN. I HAVE REBUILT MANY OF THEM AND HAVE SAVE SOME SPARE PARTS. WHEN YOU ARE READY TO DO THE WORK, LET ME KNOW AND IF I HAVE THEM I WILL SEND THEM TO YOU. HAPPY MOTORING RUSS

Russ,

Thanks - I appreciate the offer. I plan to put the rear end on my winter to-do list after the Steriods rack and pinion kit I purchased before I left. (As long as there is nothing wrong with it sitting for over a year in my garage)

After the repairs are done maybe I can make it out to a cruise or show in eastern Mass next year. I really don't want to take it too far until after I've got the clip out of there.

Glenn

Russ,

Thanks - I appreciate the offer. I plan to put the rear end on my winter to-do list after the Steriods rack and pinion kit I purchased before I left. (As long as there is nothing wrong with it sitting for over a year in my garage)

After the repairs are done maybe I can make it out to a cruise or show in eastern Mass next year. I really don't want to take it too far until after I've got the clip out of there.

Glenn
Glenn: I do have two good used axles. If you need them just let me know and I will send them to you. My email address is Russperformance@aol.com. Happy Motoring. Russ

Hey guys, I noticed my passenger side half shaft is sticking out about an inch when I raise the vehicle. Also When I am coasting sometimes I will get a popping sound...could the clip be going through the gears? The weird thing is, I had new gears installed about a year ago, wouldn't the mechanic have noticed the shaft/clip when he put the gears in? It has popped for over 6 years now (ever since I have owned it), I noticed the shaft before and after the gear installation...I went to 3.55's gears made a huge difference on acceleration. After reading the forums, I was going to try the additive to ease the popping, it isn't too bad, but noticeable and annoying. This seems to be a common problem on sharks.

First, let me tell you Warvet...Thank you for serviing. I hope you killed a lot of Al Queda over there.

The complete differential has to come out of the car to inspect and repair it; at a minimum, you'll need a new yoke, probably two.

:beer

John Z is right. You need to have the diff overhauled. Also, I'd not drive the car with the stub axle out that far.

WARVET, welcome back. I served during the first conflict back in 1990-1991. Wish we would have finished the job right the first time. Have that rear differential overhauled as soon as possible.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom