Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

WOW.......!!!!!! Holy S_ _ _ ...!!!! Now It's A 502..!!!

Viet Nam Vett

Corvette
65 BB 502 Cp /MSD ATOMIC EFI/ 2009-HUMMER H2
To day was Fire up and tune the BG carb day.. John Lolli was nice enough to come over and give me a hand setting up the new BG Mech Secondary No Choke carb. The motor fired right away and I backed the Vette out of the Garage.

I had the Vacuum gauge hooked up and we warmed the motor and set the jets. That took about 3 minuets after the motor came to temp. Everything seemed correct so I shut the motor down and we started to work on fitting the air cleaner. I went to screw in the 1/4 20 threaded rod into the carb only to find out that the BG uses a 5/16'' thread. Ok... off to the hardware store and pick up a 5/16'' temporary 3'' long bolt.

After we fitted the air cleaner..problem #2 showed up. Seems the BG's Secondary Accelerator pump's linkage bolt hit's the backfire arrester tube in the air cleaner base. Out comes the hammer, and after dollying out the tube we gain the clearence we needed.

Now... the long awaited test drive. As soon as I pulled out of my driveway I could tell that something was different. Different in a good way The Vette really pulled as it never has before. I could step down and feel where the secondary open start point was and could control the power..!!! Wow.. What a big difference.

It just feel's completly different from the holly. Even just driving normally...better responce and driveability... No Bog at Full throttel openings...The final test was a Full throttel stomp at a 10 mile an hour roll in first gear.

Holl S_ _ T..!!!!!!!Talk about smoking the tires.....!!! Talk about wheel hop...!!
John had a real big smile on his face as he held onto the grab bar..
My 65..never was able to do this...Not that I drive like that...;) but it now feels like 567Lbs of Torque and 502 HP.. So..Conclusion...
It was the Holly Carb that was the problem......It is Day and Night..

Below is where the Holly Belongs
hol2.jpg

PS I just finished tuning the tri power on the 62 , I took my brother inn law for a ride and all he could say was WOW that comes in hard.

Nothing like a mechanical secondaries to really feel Big Block acceleration

Mark

Congrats

BG make nice tuneable carbs,

Make sure you check the gas pedal that its opening the carbs all the way.

Now you know what a big block is supposed to do.

Thanks Larry,
Yes I did check the WOT setting.. I also use a Morroso Throttel Stop on the carb flange as recomended by BG. This prevents over travel at WOT which could jam the Plates open. THAT COULD BE A REAL DISASTER..!!

I would suggest looking into some sort of throttel stop for your set up. I think it even might be mentioned in your instructions..:beer

When Mark punched it, the headlights pointed straight up. I was really taken back (literally) by the power.

Yeah..me too...:L It's a good thing I used the bathroom before the test ride..:D

PS I just finished tuning the tri power on the 62 , I took my brother inn law for a ride and all he could say was WOW that comes in hard.

Nothing like a mechanical secondaries to really feel Big Block acceleration

Yep I read your post...Congrat's.. It was good to have John Over to keep an eye on me...:D

Way to go! Good luck.

However.

If you would have listened to a CERTAIN someone, you would have gotten a double pumper to begin with and that certain someone would have milled the choke tower. :eyerole

OK, OK, I know. I'm having problems with my 650 DP but that's because they packed the WRONG fuel pump at Edelbrock. The box SAYS Street Pump. It's a RACE pump. Regulator time.:hb

My $.2.............

According to "My engine Guru", who I have total faith in, I mean C'Mon, look at what it's done for how many years, says the BG Demon is THE BEST on the market today, bar none. OK, let the flames begin but, as soon as I get the extra $$$, my Holly is off and the BG is on. Mark, glad to hear you are running as you should, you deserve it;)

Yeah..me too...:L It's a good thing I used the bathroom before the test ride..:D

Now you know what real happiness. Glad it worked out, told you it would. I just got back from the Limerock Rolex Vintage Festival and on the ride home I had to show a new Mustang that old vettes don't die they just go faster. Even got a thumbs up after he caught back up.

Mark, what size wheels and tires are you using? Thanks and good luck with your new friend.

Best regards,
Gerry

According to "My engine Guru", who I have total faith in, I mean C'Mon, look at what it's done for how many years, says the BG Demon is THE BEST on the market today, bar none. OK, let the flames begin but, as soon as I get the extra $$$, my Holly is off and the BG is on. Mark, glad to hear you are running as you should, you deserve it;)

Thanks Lou,
I'll second that.. There is a very noticeable difference even in slow speed drivablity. The BG carb has very nice red light to red light manors. As far as flaming you goes..they'll be flaming me too ..I'm the one who posted the pic of the Holly in the trash bucket..!!!:L

Now you know what real happiness. Glad it worked out, told you it would. I just got back from the Limerock Rolex Vintage Festival and on the ride home I had to show a new Mustang that old vettes don't die they just go faster. Even got a thumbs up after he caught back up.

Mark, what size wheels and tires are you using? Thanks and good luck with your new friend.

Best regards,
Gerry

Heh Gerry,
Yeah I like to remind the ricers and Mootangs that old ain't slow...:L .

I'm running 215/70R/15's 26.6'' Diameter.. Michelin X-Ones's on Stock Corvette KO's

Send that Holly (sic) up here. I'll put it to good use on my next project. ;)

Your next project is the Kitchen Cabinets and the about 13 more Honey doo's......Unless your planing to make a planter out of the 850, you won't be needing it soon.
:L

Come to Jersey and I'll be happy to take you out in a 540

Gerry

I have told my Wife the next time we go back to Jersey to visit her relatives I am going to go hang out with Mark :cool I don't know when that will be, but for some reason I usually end up at my Sons house outside Philly (Ambler) Pa. in the spring, my red vette has made the trip from Ohio to Trenton 4 or 5 times:D in the last two years.

No Prob.. will burn some "Natural Dirt " at the same time...:D

Maybe next spring, not enough vacation days left and huntin' season is right around the corner; I got 30 day tags on the 68 and had it out a few times last weekend, brought back memories of my younger days when I always had one Vert in the driveway. It is the only thing I have with a carb, but that won't be on the car when its done.;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom