Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85 Roof Panel Hold Down Pin

M

mdsbch

I have an 85 coupe. It was missing the front roof panel hold down pins part# 14051195 on both sides. These are cone shaped nuts that trhead on to the bolts sticking out of the roof panel in the front. I bought a couple of them and put them on, but now the bolts to hold the roof panel down are very hard to start. Before putting these on the threaded part on the panel would move around freely and was very hard to get lined up. With the cone shaped nut on it has locked the threaded part down so it doesn't move at all. My question is, should they be tight to where the threaded part doesn't move or should they be able to move around a little? If so, should there be a spacer under the cone shaped nut or are they just not supposed to be tightened down all the way? Thanks for any help.

Save the Wave! :w

I have an 85 coupe. It was missing the front roof panel hold down pins part# 14051195 on both sides. These are cone shaped nuts that trhead on to the bolts sticking out of the roof panel in the front. I bought a couple of them and put them on, but now the bolts to hold the roof panel down are very hard to start. Before putting these on the threaded part on the panel would move around freely and was very hard to get lined up. With the cone shaped nut on it has locked the threaded part down so it doesn't move at all. My question is, should they be tight to where the threaded part doesn't move or should they be able to move around a little? If so, should there be a spacer under the cone shaped nut or are they just not supposed to be tightened down all the way? Thanks for any help.

Save the Wave! :w
Man They are a pain in the donkey to adjust!!!!! The nuts need to be tight!!!!I usually take off the trim around the front and the covers on top and use a line up punch to line up nut to get the bolt started, with a thin wrench to slip between the top and front mounting hardware to get the cone shaped nut tight!! It usually takes several tries to get everything adjusted right!! Then put the trim back on!! Hope this helps!!:upthumbs

Thats what I was afraid of. I guess I need to start looking for a thin wrench, cause I know none of the ones I currently have is going to fit between there. Thanks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom