Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

99 Wheels- keep them or change them?

What would you do about the wheels on this 99 FRC?

• Keep the original wheels

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Get some new wheels

Votes: 32 72.7%

• Total voters
Corvette
2002 Yellow Z06 (sold); 1999 Pewter FRC (sold)
Hey all! I'm back in the C5 fold again with my new-to-me 99 Pewter FRC.

The question is: should I keep the wheels or update them? Mr. S and I are both leaning toward new ones. I'm curious what you guys think.

If you would go with new ones, which ones would be your choice? (include a picture, if you can, please!)

IMG_1375.JPG

photo courtesy of MM-C5 if you don't see a photo, click here: http://picasaweb.google.com/2000corvette/99FRC?authkey=y82aloeAIOshSiFCict5FyllT7k

Tammy

I'm a little biased but I think the best looking wheel on a C5 is the Z06 you can even get them blacked out now.

Black might look real nice on a pewter car. Congrats is it a stick or an auto?

I still have my original wheels on mt 99 C5.. I was thinking of changing them but I still like them. The ones I have are chromed ,, and still look sharp... well to me anyways. and that's what counts. So if you like yours,, keep them. !! Maybe when it's time to replace my tires I might consider some package deals,, rims and tires,, It's your call,, your money ! Good luck with it :)

Bossvette, all FRC's are stick and Z51, so this is a 6-speed.

Tammy, good question. My real problem with the "wagon wheels" is that it is hard to get between the spokes to clean the brake dust from the inside of the rim. I have thought about putting the 2000+ C5 5 spoke on the car but haven't done it yet. One thing that was done on my car before it came into my possession was a painting of the center caps. The crossed flags are painted in the center and then outer ring is painted pewter to match the car. I think this look only really works for the pewter car and sets the wheels off nicely.

attachment.php

You will love the car. If I was putting money into the car, I would look at an exhaust system before wheels. Let that engine breath a little more. :)

Leon

Hey Tammy,
Congrats, and I never did like the rims on those. It is the only part on the C5 I didn't like. I know it is personal preference. I like the Z06 rims, and the 2001 and up 5 spokes. God Bless and good luck. Beautiful Vette though
Steve

If I ever have the $$ to put new wheels on I'm going with CCW 505a's 18" up front 19" in the rear.

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/gallery.php?id=chevrolet#a

c5y2k, I'd love to get a look if you ever put these on your car. You already have one of the best looking C5s I've ever seen.

Tammy, I saw a set of Black Chrome Z06 wheels at Carlisle that would look great on this car. You better hurry up and get them before that Lingenfelter driver from Massachusetts decides to pull the trigger.

Tammy,

I had always thought I'd drop my wagon wheels until I added the Wagon Wheel Makeover kit and now I really dig them. Bonus, the kit is a lot cheaper than wheels and since I drive mine all the time, I still get the wider spoke to hide my dirty calipers;). BTW, my wagons are chrome as well.

Almost forgot, congrats chic! :upthumbs

I like my WW's but some do not. For me, I still remember the day I saw my first C5, a fairway green 1997 of course with WW's. Mine are in great shape and I like them. Wheels with all my cars are one of the last things I do to them if I do.

The factory rims last a lot longer then aftermarkets on daily drivers; this is MO BTW.

I rather spend money on mods that I can feel and or make power then rims. Sure Z06 rims would be nice and it the right opportunity time comes, I may do it.

I replaced all my center caps though and bought them off ebay.

The WW make over kit is not bad and I may think about that one day! :cool

Hey all! I'm back in the C5 fold again with my new-to-me 99 Pewter FRC.

The question is: should I keep the wheels or update them? Mr. S and I are both leaning toward new ones. I'm curious what you guys think.

If you would go with new ones, which ones would be your choice? (include a picture, if you can, please!)

IMG_1375.JPG

photo courtesy of MM-C5

Tammy
I can't see your picture...:cry

I have the "wagon wheels" and my take is, can't see 'em when I'm in the car! I think I'll save the $$$ and get an upgraded exhaust system instead. I can still hear the car (or rather, NOT hear it) when I'm in it.
:lou

Bossvette, all FRC's are stick and Z51, so this is a 6-speed.

Tammy, good question. My real problem with the "wagon wheels" is that it is hard to get between the spokes to clean the brake dust from the inside of the rim.
attachment.php

Leon

Leon, I have detailed cars for many years and the rim cleaner I use and will never stray from is Mothers Rim Cleaner. Safe for all rims and has never let me down with the worst brake dust!

Tammy,

Congrats again and welcome back to the C5 fold! And here we thought we were going to lose you to one of those old C3s. ;)

Possibilities are endless on new rims - got the fever already, huh? :L Though many don't care for the WW rims, I've always liked mine. But I like them as much due to the shiny chrome look as anything. Can't say I'd care much for the polished chrome on a Pewter Vette though - somehow I just don't think it would look as good. I like Leon's rims, they look great!

If your heart's set on new ones, here's a few suggestions:
from Mid-America

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=1.296.7471
fr7471.jpg

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=1.296.7551
fr7551.jpg

And I've always thought Bryan's (UB2 SLOW) rims look cool - the black and chrome may look good on a Pewter FRC also... giving it just a slightly aggressive, kick-a$$ attitude. Sorta like its new owner. ;LOL

new%20top1.jpg

:w Jane Ann

IMG_5905_R_2.jpg

Leon, I have detailed cars for many years and the rim cleaner I use and will never stray from is Mothers Rim Cleaner. Safe for all rims and has never let me down with the worst brake dust!

Thanks ToolGuy. I use a wire refridgerator brush to get at the brake dust between wheel removals. I will look for the Mother's and give that a try.

Leon

Thanks for all the great input, everyone.

For those of you who suggested to get an exhaust before wheels, I think that is a very wise idea!

I will probably need a good bit more time to evaluate wheel options and how strongly I feel about getting new ones. I don't think I'll jump into it just yet. No money anyway :L

Keep the suggestions coming.

Tammy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom