Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering Box rebuild

Kid_Again

Corvette
65 SB Roadster, 66 BB Coupe
Who do you guys recommend for a rebuilding service?

I may just do it myself but I'll need to carefully re-read the procedure written by Duke. I think I have all the tools I need, including the inch-pound torque wrench which I bought by accident a few years ago:eyerole

if you need a copy of the paper by Duke and Bill I have it on my website here:
http://69.253.166.197/page1/page65/page65.html
scroll down to the bottom of the page and it's the 4th file from the bottom called:
Steering Box Rebuild.pdf

Thanks Barry, I'm thinking about going through my steering box this off season. That will help. I'm glad one of us is organised with this stuff.:cool

What I would do,,,

Steering boxes are not something I personally like to tamper with. Yes they can be rebuilt by the hobbyist, but it's not something I would recommend. The most professional firm I have seen so far is" Corvette Steering Service ". They are in South Carolina, and you want to speak top Tom Reina.

Here is a link to their web site

http://www.corvettesteering.com/index.html

Stepinwolf

Steering boxes are not something I personally like to tamper with. Yes they can be rebuilt by the hobbyist, but it's not something I would recommend. The most professional firm I have seen so far is" Corvette Steering Service ". They are in South Carolina, and you want to speak top Tom Reina.

Here is a link to their web site

http://www.corvettesteering.com/index.html

Stepinwolf

Who's going with thier integral power steering system? I've been thinking about that.

Bob, why don't you fool with steering gears?

Kid,
I blueprint these boxes for a lot of forum members. I'm always asked just what that means and if a guy can do it at home. I have documented the procedures on several forums if you look you'll find it.

I machine new bushing to fit the pitman shaft in the box to cut sideplay down to about .002", in addition to using all the new parts in a master kit, setting the lash gap,lash on center and bearing preload.

If you have access to a lathe and want the best job then you can do it too. It takes time and you want to correctly fit the parts. Check the gears before you do anything though, if they are still good then you're good, but if they are bad then the cost really jumps up. The last set I bought ran $245.

If you follow the procedure and make the bushings you'll have the best built corvette box on the market- I guarantee it.

If you need the kit I have them here .

Good luck
Gary

Kid - been thinking about doing mine this winter. Let me know if you want to tackle it, or send it out. I am leaning to sending it out. I have all the tools also, but was thinking about letting a pro do it. Corvette Steering has been recommended for all the parts.

Steve

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I have the Duke Williams article and I have a lathe at home but I'm leaning toward sending it out. I've done front and rear suspensions and complete brake system overhauls but this one just doesn't sound right for me. Leaning towards sending it out and I appreciate the referrals.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I have the Duke Williams article and I have a lathe at home but I'm leaning toward sending it out. I've done front and rear suspensions and complete brake system overhauls but this one just doesn't sound right for me. Leaning towards sending it out and I appreciate the referrals.

I had mine done by a guy in North Georgia. No issues, prompt and reasonable price. He apparently is a Boutique steering box only repairer. I can dig around and try to find out his address. He lived on Hartwell Lake in Nother Georgia along I-85. Not much more I can recall but if I do some diggin I think I can come up with the address.

Also I just had my A-Body box done over by a guy in California. I can get his address fro ya also.

Ray

PS the guy in Georgia had some NEW A-Body boxes. Don't know about "stock" of Vette boxes but the guy really was into steering parts, steering box rebuilds and "anything steering related"

Let me know if you need some help on this. I will have to do some digging because since the move a fair amount of things are MIA or AWOL. I can find what I look for but it takes an hour or so usually.

Both of these guys have "good" marks from me an I am a PIA to satisfy. I would use eather service again. If you decide to outsource the job I think eather guy will pass muster.

I had mine done by a guy in North Georgia. No issues, prompt and reasonable price. He apparently is a Boutique steering box only repairer. I can dig around and try to find out his address. He lived on Hartwell Lake in Nother Georgia along I-85. Not much more I can recall but if I do some diggin I think I can come up with the address.

Also I just had my A-Body box done over by a guy in California. I can get his address fro ya also.

Ray

PS the guy in Georgia had some NEW A-Body boxes. Don't know about "stock" of Vette boxes but the guy really was into steering parts, steering box rebuilds and "anything steering related"

Let me know if you need some help on this. I will have to do some digging because since the move a fair amount of things are MIA or AWOL. I can find what I look for but it takes an hour or so usually.

Both of these guys have "good" marks from me an I am a PIA to satisfy. I would use eather service again. If you decide to outsource the job I think eather guy will pass muster.

Ray, you hit the nail on the head. It's all about safety and I have this phobia about safety-related components. If I can actually visually inspect the whole shootin' match (like a suspension) after I do the install, then I'm OK. Tearing down a steering box and putting it back together with the correct centering and drag is a leap of faith for me. It's bad enough that I rebuild carbs and take great pains to make sure I don't wind up as a fireball on the horizon.

If you can find the contact information at your convenience, I'd appreciate it. I'm leaning towards a CAC member since I checked out his story and it looks OK.

Be good (not a requirement, just a guideline)

Leaning towards sending it out and I appreciate the referrals.

I would Opt to send it out.. Cause I know what can happen to you..

bc.gif

If you have to do so, go with Tom Reina, it's his only speciality, and he's been doing this all his life.

Excellent products, excellent service.

Stepinwolf
Heh Bob,
The reason the Graphic of the Black Cloud was posted above is that it follow's Kid around when he opens the hood of any of his Vette's..His nick name is ..."The Black Cloud"....:L

:eyerole ....>knock on wood<, i haven't had any RECENT problems (that I will admit to)....a 1/4" of raw gas sitting on the manifold does not count as a problem, it's more of a fact of life

NOW I'm seeing doubles of my posts :crazy

Fixed. You can open your eyes again now. You are cured. Tom

At least your only seeing doubles of your posts.......
At least your only seeing doubles of your posts.......
:W

Ray, you hit the nail on the head. It's all about safety and I have this phobia about safety-related components. If I can actually visually inspect the whole shootin' match (like a suspension) after I do the install, then I'm OK. Tearing down a steering box and putting it back together with the correct centering and drag is a leap of faith for me. It's bad enough that I rebuild carbs and take great pains to make sure I don't wind up as a fireball on the horizon.

If you can find the contact information at your convenience, I'd appreciate it. I'm leaning towards a CAC member since I checked out his story and it looks OK.

Be good (not a requirement, just a guideline)

Been oujtta town for a couple of days and did not have access to my E-mail as much as I do when workin at Home. I believe Tom Renia is the guy who did my Vette box.

The A-Body box was done by Lee Manufacturing in California. http://leepowersteering.com/body_index.html The site is not much to write home about but call and ask for Tom. He is best reached at days end in California.....8;00 Pm eastern. He is more than willing to talk about the services and products he offers.

As I said I was pleased with both. Lee's nearly talked me outta doing the job...not that he was a bad guy he jst said "For a driver...not a race car the stock box as delivered is OK". I wanted a better turning radius and needed some stops changed to get that radius. Also when they took it apart there was a bent sector shaft which likely happened when the donor car began its journey to the wrecking yard. They called before they put in the parts with an estimate of course and after I said go ahead it came back as promised on time on estimate.

Great night at the Club last week. OHHHHHHH WOW. Only thing I could call it would be Dressed Up MILF's at Poolside!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Reina Column Expert

Ironically, the above two guys you recommend are the same man... My dad, Tom Reina! Unfortunately, he passed away suddenly in January. He has only two grandchildren and I have inherited his beautiful blue 1966 Corvette which will go to my son and I am searching frantically for his Red '75 Vette that he sold years ago for my daughter. I accidentally stumbled across this discussion from years ago. He lived on the border of South Carolina and Georgia on Lake Hartwell and was a true mechanical genius. Try Steering Columns Galore's Steering Column Home Page he is a nice guy, and yes steering columns need to be safe! Dad, Rest in peace... Brenda.

Brenda,

Welcome to the CAC. Sorry to hear about your dad. Thanks for the recommendation for steering gear work and good luck on the search for the '75.

Tom

Ironically, the above two guys you recommend are the same man... My dad, Tom Reina! Unfortunately, he passed away suddenly in January. He has only two grandchildren and I have inherited his beautiful blue 1966 Corvette which will go to my son and I am searching frantically for his Red '75 Vette that he sold years ago for my daughter. I accidentally stumbled across this discussion from years ago. He lived on the border of South Carolina and Georgia on Lake Hartwell and was a true mechanical genius. Try Steering Columns Galore's Steering Column Home Page he is a nice guy, and yes steering columns need to be safe! Dad, Rest in peace... Brenda.

HI Brenda,
I'm the guy who bought your Dad steering gear stock a couple of months ago up in CT.

I got to know your Dad over the years and really enjoyed speaking with him. I think we became good friends yet we never got the opportunity to meet in person.I always told him to stop in New Haven when he was in NY or even if he came to Yale to visit family attending there. Just never happened though. I was actually thinking of driving down to see him this summer if time allowed so you can imagine my shock when I first heard of his sudden passing. I really do miss him and our talks. I would try and call him every 2-3 weeks just to shoot the time with him. He would always take my calls even on the weekends.

If there is ever anything I can help you with on the 66 or that 75 vette call me, I never forget true friends and your Dad was one. Never treated me other then another friend with similar interest. Please say hi to Joan & Frank for me as well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom