Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing fuel pump on 82 Vette

Z

zgator

I was looking through all my Vette parts and came across a brand new 1984 Vette fuel pump.I've heard of people using these in their C3's.Is this swap just a plug and play or is it more involved.In the box is the pump a screen looking thing a big o ring some small nuts and lock washers and one other black thing.Also the instruction sheet.

I think the 84 pump is as weak as the 82. You are better off going with an 85 pump. You'll get better performance. The 82-84-85 pumps are all designed the same.

Its more or less a plug and play install. The newer pumps have an improved connector for the wiring so there is a bit of splicing involved.

The screen thing is the filter sock. it attaches to the bottom of the pump and should be replaced. Aside for that there should be a couple of gaskets. Important one is where the assembly attaches to the tank.

The float arm is attached to the pump assemble carful on reinstall if you bend it out of shape your gas guage may not work.

Jim

I think he means in the parts box, you know the pump goes in the fuel tank. The other c-3 pumps attach to the engine.

I agree go with an 85 pump..just changed my 82 over two week ago. adding the plug was all I had to do ..got mine from autozone $85 came with the plug and wires to make the change. Better idle& throttle responce..be sure to pull the ECM fuse by the battery after the change so it will relearn the fuel curve.

just my $.02
I may be wrong but I thought it was not a good idea to use a fuel pump designed for TPI on a TBI engine that the pressure is to high. If you wanted more flow get a pump with a higher GPH rating at the same presssure.
Craig sr

The pressure is regulated by the regulator and a TPI pump only puts out around 50psi all the extra just goes back to the tank on the return line. By the way I also turned my fuel pressure up from 12psi to 15psi ..ask Gordon K. about doing this, He told me about it…

just my $.02
I may be wrong but I thought it was not a good idea to use a fuel pump designed for TPI on a TBI engine that the pressure is to high. If you wanted more flow get a pump with a higher GPH rating at the same presssure.
Craig sr

bossman...that is precisely the difference between the two...the TPI pump has higher FLOW...the pump itself does not determine the fluid pressure, the regulator does that (as Wegone mentioned) by providing a restriction to flow. Granted, if that restriction was "fixed", then yes you'd see an increase in pressure...but luckily it is not and will maintain the correct pressure with the flow increase.

The advantage of using the higher flow pump is the ability to maintain good pressure under heavy loads...like a WOT blast.

Bill

The pump replacement is fairly simple, whether you go with the 82 or 85 pump.
Remove the screws that hold your gas cap cover hinge on and remove it. Then remove the screws that hold the rubber boot on and remove that too.
The pump is on the end of the filler tube.
The hard part is getting the rubber fuel lines off the end of the connection at the filler tube, which will slip off with a little persuasion. Unplug the electrical connector first.

Once the filler tube is loosened and the screws are out, the entire filler tube can be pulled out of the tank. You wll need to rotate it a little to clear the body cutout.

The pump is supplied with a new rubber connection hose for connecting the new pump to the dip tube. Unscrew the ring lugs from the wires and replace the pump. reverse the order to re-install.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom