Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stock '02 Rear Wheel HP

Bonnell

Corvette
2008 Convertible
Is there a general consensus as to how much rear wheel HP a stock '02 vette has? I have seen several posts indicating 312-318 without only catbacks and it seems I've heard that catbacks only yield 7-9 rwhp.

If the drivetrain loss is only 15% that would give 297.5 rwhp and on the C4 forum (I've got an '88 coupe also) it seems that 17% is the common estimate.

Are the LS1 engines commonly under-stated HP wise?

:w

Hi Bonnell -

For a stock mn6 around 300rwhp - a little less for an a4.

Stock 02 Z's are 355-360rwhp stock.

best regards -

mqqn

Hi Bonnell -

For a stock mn6 around 300rwhp - a little less for an a4.

Stock 02 Z's are 355-360rwhp stock.

best regards -

mqqn

Thanks for the info! Great looking Z!

I have an 02 with an automatic. Car was had about 500 miles on it,

B&B PRT cat back exchaust

2nd pull yeilded 313 rwhp

I will see if I can post the dyno sheet.

I have an 02 with an automatic. Car was had about 500 miles on it,

B&B PRT cat back exchaust

2nd pull yeilded 313 rwhp

I will see if I can post the dyno sheet.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any idea how much HP the catback system added?

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any idea how much HP the catback system added?

I have no clue

I was told 350 (hp) x 17% ( loss because it was an automatic) = 290.50 is what I was told the rwhp should have been

We ran the dyno and it came up as 313 rwhp.

They did 1 pull and thought the dyno was off

Put another car on the dyno and it pulled with in a 1/2 hp of what the known hp of the car was

They put my car back on and pulled 2 more times with the highest pull being the 313

There were some specualtion about the motor being queer or it was one that went thru quaility control and was brought closer to the proper specs of the motor design, Just a nice cool day? I am not sure but i can tell you allot of the guys who were there were going to look into getting a B&B prt cat back exchaust.

I have no clue

I was told 350 (hp) x 17% ( loss because it was an automatic) = 290.50 is what I was told the rwhp should have been

We ran the dyno and it came up as 313 rwhp.

They did 1 pull and thought the dyno was off

Put another car on the dyno and it pulled with in a 1/2 hp of what the known hp of the car was

They put my car back on and pulled 2 more times with the highest pull being the 313

There were some specualtion about the motor being queer or it was one that went thru quaility control and was brought closer to the proper specs of the motor design, Just a nice cool day? I am not sure but i can tell you allot of the guys who were there were going to look into getting a B&B prt cat back exchaust.

Sure seems like a good case for getting catbacks (and maybe headers).
:beer

Sure seems like a good case for getting catbacks (and maybe headers).
:beer

Well I dont want to dampen your thought on a cat back , But I highley doubt the cat back did this.

I mean we are talking about a 23 hp gain,I feel that is tremendous, Unless the figures of a 17% loss are incorrect.

Before LG motorsports installed my headers, they did a "before" dyno run. The only non-stock part in the whole powertrain was a Blackwing filter. They showed 310rwhp/328rwtq. This is an 02 6spd coupe. BTW, after headers w/ cats and tuning, 340hp/354tq, still with the stock cat-back.

Before LG motorsports installed my headers, they did a "before" dyno run. The only non-stock part in the whole powertrain was a Blackwing filter. They showed 310rwhp/328rwtq. This is an 02 6spd coupe. BTW, after headers w/ cats and tuning, 340hp/354tq, still with the stock cat-back.

Hi fdxpilot. Those are good numbers. I used to live in Bartlett (early '90s) and currently live near Little Rock. Is LG Motorsports in Memphis?

Hi fdxpilot. Those are good numbers. I used to live in Bartlett (early '90s) and currently live near Little Rock. Is LG Motorsports in Memphis?

No, it's in NE Dallas (Wylie, to be exact.) I combined a drive over to Dallas to get the work done with a weekend at the wife's friends house there. I left on Thurs afternoon, had the work done Fri morning, and met the wife on Fri evening at her friend's place. She's happy, I'm happy, and the vette is lot's faster.

No, it's in NE Dallas (Wylie, to be exact.) I combined a drive over to Dallas to get the work done with a weekend at the wife's friends house there. I left on Thurs afternoon, had the work done Fri morning, and met the wife on Fri evening at her friend's place. She's happy, I'm happy, and the vette is lot's faster.

Thanks, that is good to know. Dallas is an easy drive from here.

Hi Bonnell -

Thanks for the nice compliment!

RE: Lou Gigliotti Motorsports -

I drove down to LGM to get my headers from central Illinois.

I wanted to see the place, meet the folks at LG, and I love road trips.
Plus, they only charged $400 to install the headers AND tune the car on the dyno, including a baseline run.

My car was already tuned very well and put up a strong baseline, so I did not pick up as much from the headers as a car that had not been tuned, but in the end I am where you should be with my mods.

I recommend the folks at LG - nice folks and will take great care of you.

img26.jpg

best regards -

mqqn

Hi Bonnell -

Thanks for the nice compliment!

RE: Lou Gigliotti Motorsports -

I drove down to LGM to get my headers from central Illinois.

I wanted to see the place, meet the folks at LG, and I love road trips.
Plus, they only charged $400 to install the headers AND tune the car on the dyno, including a baseline run.

My car was already tuned very well and put up a strong baseline, so I did not pick up as much from the headers as a car that had not been tuned, but in the end I am where you should be with my mods.

I recommend the folks at LG - nice folks and will take great care of you.

img26.jpg

best regards -

mqqn

I cannot find a performance shop here in Central Arkansas. I think LG would be a great solution because Dallas is only 5 hours away and would be an easy road trip. Installation for $400 seems really good. I found LG's web site and it appears that they have one product for the C5 and that is teh long tube header. Is there a complementary catback system that matches well with the headers?

Hi Bonnell -

Cat back systems are a highly subjective matter. There is not much appreciable performance gain, but rather "sound sculpting" to match the ear of the owner.

I think the very best system is the Z06 Ti catback, and these can routinely be found for ~$400 plus shipping.

LG actually has two systems for the C5, the Pro system with a full merge collector, and the street series that gives up a little HP but also costs a significant amount less money.

If you intend to go further down the road with head/ cam and intake (throttle body and intake manifold) changes, then the pro series is the better choice.

If you intend to just do headers and some high-flow cats, and stick with a cold air intake and some sort of catback system, then the street series will do fine for you.

If you do go down, be sure to eat at the BBQ place just down the road from LG - awesome food there (can't recall the name at this moment though).

best regards -

mqqn

Great photos. Thanks for sharing. Even though I own one this is the first time I've seen the under side of one!

My 01 M-6 did 324 rwhp and 344 rwtq with only a Blackwing.
As far as a catback goes I believe the stock one is more than enough for a stock motor. With 414 rwhp going through the stock mufflers and then unbolting them we only got 9 rwhp max. I left my stock catback on till I got 450 rwhp then I switched to a Magnaflow.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom