Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Plastic window for 63 hard top convertible?

djk1566

Corvette
1963 Convertible, 1969 Lemans Blue Coupe, 1970 LS5
I just started restoring a 63 convertible and just noticed the back window is not glass but plastic. I have never seen this and was wondering if it is suppossed to be glass. Thanks

I just started restoring a 63 convertible and just noticed the back window is not glass but plastic. I have never seen this and was wondering if it is suppossed to be glass. Thanks

They were all plastic. Glass was never used on any C-1 or C-2 Corvette convertible rear window.

I don't think glass was used in the convertible back window until 1994.

Elaine

I assume that you are talking about the folding top. Yes they are all plastic through the end of '75. They were also date coded. Replacement tops with the correct dated window and materials are available from several sources.

If you have the removable hardtop they were also plastic. Parts and complete restoration kits and services are available from http://www.thehardtopshop.com/ and a couple of other sources.

Tom

I was referring to the hardtop but that clears it up. I just never noticed it till now. Thanks for all the help.

Doesn't really matter as to softtop or hardtop rear window, C-1's and C-2's were all plastic.

There's a couple of good reasons I believe that plastic was used in the hardtop. First is the weight, the top would be considerably heavier with a glass rear window than with plastic. Secondly, the risk of breakage when removing, storing, and replacing the hardtop also makes the use of glass less desirable than plastic, in my opinion.

But, just my opinion . . .

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom