Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C2 Body on top of a C5 Chassis/ drivetrain

A

aussieross01

I am wanting to compare notes with anybody that has done, or has an interest in mounting a modified C2 body ontop of a C5 platform.

I'm aware there are many shops producing aftermarket chassis to mount later suspensions etc, that a stock body mounts onto, but that's not where I'm coming from.

I have a donor "03 Z06, and I intend to use nearly all the darn car with the obvious exception of the body for the project.
Please, I don't need to be enlightened on the upcoming challenges, I'm well aware of what I'm facing, but I'm keen to network with anybody that has a similar passion to produce a really unique VetteRod.

Why not root around in the wrecking yards for a C5 or pieces (there are several), and put your C5 back on the road. It seem to me it would be much easier and a lot less adapting and quicker.
I called a local "recyle yard" that specialized in Vettes, a said I needed 20 C4 suspension sets with LS1 engines for Lister kit cars. They came up with them the next day at a great price.
Just my .02..........:beer

The point of the exercise in buying my "03 Z06 was to build the Vetterod, the example I brought was the perfect donor car for the project, and not the best salvage vehicle you would buy if you wanted to put it back to its original form.

In any event I have a 2000 six speed C5, love the car, but wanted a similar driving experience with all the bells and whistles but with the older styling.

I saw just such an animal at Eckler's this year. It actually looked good. I'll try and upload some pictures tonight when I get home from the office.

Not sure of the dates but look in Vetteviews mag. A buddy of mine did one last year...Took him about a year to do...Red 62 its on the cover

Thanks for that.
I've seen a few vetterods based on the C1, but not the C2.
I personally think the c2 would benefit nicely from being widened in the fenders:- standard they look a tad narrow gutted and high ( sorry, just my view ).
Somewhat of a challenge incorporating the extra 6 inch in the wheel base, but achievable I think.

I've not seen a C2/C5 VetteRod built in the format I propose, and I wouldn't think I'm treading on virgin territory here.
Come on guys, someone out there must have done this.

Best of luck to ya..I would like to see the pics as you do it...Ben, is working on another C1 now and has done 2 C2s with C4 frames & running gear..a 67 using a 96 LT4 & a 64 or 65 Grand Sport using a 91 ZR-1..

Steve

Thanks Steve,
Don't know that I'll need a lot of luck, just a bunch of energy, passion, time and committment.

I plan to place progress on our club's website once we get down the track a while. For future reference address is www.corvetteclubofsa.com.au. It's a relatively new site and still struggling to find its feet, but worth a look.

Love to hear from anybody else that's used a C5 chassis for a similar project, you guys wouldn't want an Aussie beating you to the punch would ya?

Yep, I've seen photos of similar C1/C5 projects before:- very clever, but the C5 windscreen frame doesn't do it for me.

I propose to use the original C2 windscreen frame, and the whole C2 birdcage and mount on the C5 frame

Hi Ross

I think you are a creating a Special Story with your fantastic Corvette concept Retro Rod c2-c5 . I along with many of your friends are currently enjoying the journey that you have started. Personally I look forward to the day that we can drive it across the USA.

Keep up the good work Buddy.

I dont know if I have anything to add....other than I want it when you are done :) A C2 body with C5 mecanicals would be killer.

I dont know if I have anything to add....other than I want it when you are done :) A C2 body with C5 mecanicals would be killer.

+1 I'm afraid that is the only way I would be able to have one...buy it off someone who did the work. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd like to hear some updates as this project is coming along. Perhaps a few pics as well???

Best of luck to you.

Cheers,

Joe

If I was looking into a project as this, One of the first things I would try to attain is the width/track of a C2 compaired to a C5. I would also look into the wheel base.

The C2 body style is a work of art, its timeless. Its proportions are absolutely perfect!

I also think if you have to modify the width or the length of the C2 body in any way you may have a odd looking car.

Believe me I am not trying to point you in any direction other then what you want to do, As i know nothing is better then building a car.

Best of luck with your adventure.

If I was looking into a project as this, One of the first things I would try to attain is the width/track of a C2 compaired to a C5. I would also look into the wheel base.

The C2 body style is a work of art, its timeless. Its proportions are absolutely perfect!

I also think if you have to modify the width or the length of the C2 body in any way you may have a odd looking car.

Believe me I am not trying to point you in any direction other then what you want to do, As i know nothing is better then building a car.

Best of luck with your adventure.

You know we all have different points of view.
Whilst I agree with you the the C2 shape is timeless, I wouldn't go as far as to call it absolutely perfect.
Back when it was released maybe, looking at it objectively today, I would say it's too high and narrow gutted:- sorry, just my view.
I intend widening the body through the lowest point in the valley of the top of the guards and pumping out just over 2 inches. The roof, windscreen and hood will be stock, everything else modified.
The front and rear valances are to be remade giving the impression of lowering the body over the chassis.
I've done some work with scale models and drawings and I think it looks great, certainly a more contemporary version of the C2, but a tough looking concept.

There will be a challenge incorporating a 6 inch extra wheelbase in the C2 body, most of this will have to be accomodated in the rear quarters, and whilst it looks OK on the Photoshop exercise I did, until I get into the project ( waiting for the body to arrive ) I won't know.

I will post some pics once into the journey.

Thanks for your sentiments for this project, thou I think I'll need a lot more than luck to get me through this adventure.

+1 I'm afraid that is the only way I would be able to have one...buy it off someone who did the work. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd like to hear some updates as this project is coming along. Perhaps a few pics as well???

Best of luck to you.

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks Joe,

I do intend to post some pics when we are further into this.
When I do this, it will be through my club site, which is www.corvetteclubofsa.com.au
It's a relatively new site that is finding its feet, but certainly worth a look.

Rgds
Ross

I can't wait to see this.

Maybe you should when your done make it into a kit.

C2 on a C5 chassis would be wicked!

JB

It's finally done

Ok guys, a lot of time , effort, heartache, not to mention expenditure into finally realising building my dream Corvette:- Prodigy.

For those who wish to check it out, please check out my website.
It was released for the big Hotrod show Motorex, down here in Australia during the last couple of weeks, and was exceptionally well received, which was real nice.
I do hope this helps, or inspires somebody else.
I'll put my helmet on now!!!!!

Ross

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom