Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Thinking of installing a Magnacharger.

E

ELECTRONJMB

After reading the article on this site, and deciding I want to treat myself to a chrismas present, I was thinking of supercharging my 02 6sp convert. I would like to hear from anyone who owns one of these badboys and drives it on a semi daily basis.
Jeff

I drive a 00 Vert with an Intercooled Maggie and some other goodies all summer in Michigan. The polished Mag is a show winner and the POWER is addicting. I'm now about 500rwhp and 525rwtq so I'm about at the end of the stock motor's capabilities.

GO FOR IT...............Randy

I'm now about 500rwhp and 525rwtq so I'm about at the end of the stock motor's capabilities.
Therein lies the risk when going with a Magnacharger. It is a superb and relaible setup, but once there, you are maxxed out. If you ever get the "itch" for more power, you have to start over again. That's why I went with a 402 stroker instead. It has similar power and low-end torque, but can be expanded almost infinitely (blower, turbo, larger cam, etc).

Of course, the Magnuson wins hands down in the :cool department.

That's why I went with a 402 stroker instead. It has similar power and low-end torque, but can be expanded almost infinitely (blower, turbo, larger cam, etc).

In your experience, how is the 402 in the reliability department, as compared to a reasonably "stock" (usual bolt ons) 346 5.7 ltr?

The stroker has been very reliable. If you think about it, it should be as good or better than stock in that regard. It is still NA, and has the benefit of being balanced and blueprinted, using all top quality parts. Valve springs should probably be pre-emptively replaced more often than stock, unless you go with a very mild cam. I have ~ 13K on this block and all is well.

Here is my dyno sheet, showing SAE power at the wheels through an A4/tc. This platform still has lots of room for growth, should I so desire.
402final.gif

Price varies, depending on what else you have done. I added a FAST 90mm manifold, LS2 tb, ported AFR 205 heads, Harlan Sharp roller rockers (stock ratio), 228/232 114 +4 cam, and thermal-coated LG Pros w/ hi-flow cats. Of course, the entire rotating assembly is forged as well. This is a completely new LS2 short block with a 4" stroke. When I compared the price (installed and tuned) to a polished maggie and MCM hood, it was very close.

If you re-use your LS6 manifold/tb and substitute something like Patriot heads in the stroker, or use a lesser grade hood and non-polished maggie for the blower configuration, you can do it for under 10K complete. Either way, you can't go wrong.

After reading the article on this site, and deciding I want to treat myself to a chrismas present, I was thinking of supercharging my 02 6sp convert. I would like to hear from anyone who owns one of these badboys and drives it on a semi daily basis.
Jeff

32K + miles after Maggie install no issues. If you do it you will never be satisfied driving a stock vette again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom