Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I need advice in purchasing a C-5

Bob Nunes

Corvette
2004 Arctic White coupe
Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for your input. I sold my 1993 in 2005. I thought I had no real use for it. I have since bought a Hyundai Sante Fe because I thought it would be PRACTICAL!!! WRONG! It ain't a Vette by any stretch of the imagination. I now have the (very strong) itch to buy a C5, but I am not sure what options and mileage I should be looking for and the price as well. In other words, what should I be looking at in regards to price vs. mileage and options. I have seen some gorgeous vettes, but the prices vary so very much. Please help!!!! Thanks, Bob

Buy the newest, lowest milage you can afford. Options are a personal matter, even the most "basic" C5 is has most of the comfort & convience options most would need. My 2000 has nearly every option available that year & I can say I like every thing except the twilight sentinal.

I feel you need to decide what you can spend and then find the nicest car you can find for that price. If you are looking for a particular color or option, you may have to look a little longer to find the right C5. I wanted a Magnetic Red or Electron Blue 6-speed convertible. I was hoping to find magnesium wheels and the rest of the options were not as important. I was lucky and found nearly the exact Vette I wanted about 100 miles away from me (It was a little older than I originally was targeting, but the price was right and the car was in exceptional shape).

The real question is--what to YOU want in YOUR C5 and go from there.

Good luck in your hunt!!

Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for your input. I sold my 1993 in 2005. I thought I had no real use for it. I have since bought a Hyundai Sante Fe because I thought it would be PRACTICAL!!! WRONG! It ain't a Vette by any stretch of the imagination. I now have the (very strong) itch to buy a C5, but I am not sure what options and mileage I should be looking for and the price as well. In other words, what should I be looking at in regards to price vs. mileage and options. I have seen some gorgeous vettes, but the prices vary so very much. Please help!!!! Thanks, Bob
Bob, I looked for 2 years before I bought mine in June of this year. I knew the price I was willing to pay and looked for the most car that I could get for the money. I live in MA and also have a house in FL. As it turns out, the car I finally bought was located only about 20 miles from the house in FL. I saw it on the internet, and my wife and I took an "unplanned" vacation to go look at (and buy) it. I was able to get a 2000 navy blue coupe, gray interior, automatic, and more for the price that I considered "right". Do your homework......look at a bunch of websites that have vettes for sale.....talk to owners of C5's in your area to find out what's "good" vs what's "bad"....and then start to narrow down your choices. I saw everything from road kill to show winners, and in the end my search paid off. Also do yourself a favor and test drive a C5 from a dealer or private party. There's a world of difference between a C4 and a C5. I work with a guy who has a 1994 coupe, and he told me to get a C5 if I could. I was originally looking for a 1996 Collectors Edition, and once I drove a C5, I never looked back. My car is a snow bird, and I'll be seeing it again in three weeks! Can't wait! You should also start a list of "must have's, "would be nice", and "DO NOT want" to help in your search. I wanted gray interior, dual power seats, dual zone climate control, but transmission type was a toss up (got auto), as well as HUD (got it). I really didn't want white, black, or yellow, and wound up getting navy blue. Do your homework and hopefuly it'll all work out. And one other thing.....by all means, let us know "what you got, when you got it"!
Andy Anderson

Bob,

Andy and Bruce have both given you great advice, all of which I endorse. Do your homework, do a whole lot of research, figure out just what you must have and what you can live without, determine whether you want a coupe or convertible, 6-speed or automatic, color...then you're almost there!:)

If I can help you out at all, please don't hesitate to contact me. I sell Corvettes for one of the most well-known Corvettes-only dealer on the East Coast...Corvette Mike New England, and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Elaine

Do a search for some of the problem areas that you'll find on this site too. There were a few that popped up and were points that were resolved prior to buying my car .... things like the steering lock and red top battery issues.

It was nice popping the hood on the one I bought and seeing a pretty new red top installed.

Also, take a look at the GM extended warranty that still may be in place on the car. It was just a few bucks to have it transferred over to my name

Bob,I forgot to mention that every C5 has a sticker in the console glove compartment that lists the RPO codes for everything that was put on the car when it was built. Get a list of the codes and use them to check any cars that you're interested in. If it's supposed to have EMT's and doesn't.......why?. If it came with a CD changer and there isn't one in the car now.......why? If it came with red interior and now has black......why? It might help you to get a better feel for any car you might be interested in buying. And besides.....if the owner has nothing to hide he or she will not mind you looking and asking.
Andy Anderson

Bob,

Andy and Bruce have both given you great advice, all of which I endorse. Do your homework, do a whole lot of research, figure out just what you must have and what you can live without, determine whether you want a coupe or convertible, 6-speed or automatic, color...then you're almost there!:)

If I can help you out at all, please don't hesitate to contact me. I sell Corvettes for one of the most well-known Corvettes-only dealer on the East Coast...Corvette Mike New England, and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Elaine
Mike, I am originally from the Providence area and I know of your great reputation. I used to deal with Simon Chevrolet in Woonsocket RI, prior to moving to Myrtle Beach. The C5 options seem to be so different and varied as compared to the C4's. All of you help from everyone is so greatly appreciated. I did go back to RI in May. The weather was cold and brutal. I flew back here from Logan. It was then I truly realized that a Corvette could be used here in S.C. 12 months out of the year, rather than the "garage queen" I use to have.

Buy the newest, lowest milage you can afford. Options are a personal matter, even the most "basic" C5 is has most of the comfort & convience options most would need. My 2000 has nearly every option available that year & I can say I like every thing except the twilight sentinal.

I feel you need to decide what you can spend and then find the nicest car you can find for that price. If you are looking for a particular color or option, you may have to look a little longer to find the right C5. I wanted a Magnetic Red or Electron Blue 6-speed convertible. I was hoping to find magnesium wheels and the rest of the options were not as important. I was lucky and found nearly the exact Vette I wanted about 100 miles away from me (It was a little older than I originally was targeting, but the price was right and the car was in exceptional shape).

The real question is--what to YOU want in YOUR C5 and go from there.

Good luck in your hunt!!
I am having ttouble navigating this website at times, so I want to make sure I thank each one individually. Thank-you!

Bob, I looked for 2 years before I bought mine in June of this year. I knew the price I was willing to pay and looked for the most car that I could get for the money. I live in MA and also have a house in FL. As it turns out, the car I finally bought was located only about 20 miles from the house in FL. I saw it on the internet, and my wife and I took an "unplanned" vacation to go look at (and buy) it. I was able to get a 2000 navy blue coupe, gray interior, automatic, and more for the price that I considered "right". Do your homework......look at a bunch of websites that have vettes for sale.....talk to owners of C5's in your area to find out what's "good" vs what's "bad"....and then start to narrow down your choices. I saw everything from road kill to show winners, and in the end my search paid off. Also do yourself a favor and test drive a C5 from a dealer or private party. There's a world of difference between a C4 and a C5. I work with a guy who has a 1994 coupe, and he told me to get a C5 if I could. I was originally looking for a 1996 Collectors Edition, and once I drove a C5, I never looked back. My car is a snow bird, and I'll be seeing it again in three weeks! Can't wait! You should also start a list of "must have's, "would be nice", and "DO NOT want" to help in your search. I wanted gray interior, dual power seats, dual zone climate control, but transmission type was a toss up (got auto), as well as HUD (got it). I really didn't want white, black, or yellow, and wound up getting navy blue. Do your homework and hopefuly it'll all work out. And one other thing.....by all means, let us know "what you got, when you got it"!
Andy Anderson
Thank-you Andy. Is the automatic as good as the manual?

Bob,

Elaine
Thank-you. I tried to reply to you, but I guess I messed it up. I am from the Providence area and have heard of your fine dealership. I used to deal with Simon Chevrolet in Woonsocket RI prior to me moving to Myrtle Beach SC. I have looked at the Vettes in your inventory, and, of course, they are fantastic. I just hate the drive through NYC and the DC area. Thanks for you advice.

Do a search for some of the problem areas that you'll find on this site too. There were a few that popped up and were points that were resolved prior to buying my car .... things like the steering lock and red top battery issues.

It was nice popping the hood on the one I bought and seeing a pretty new red top installed.

Also, take a look at the GM extended warranty that still may be in place on the car. It was just a few bucks to have it transferred over to my name
Great advice! I am going to print all of the responses so I can refer to them and try to commit them to memory.

Bob,I forgot to mention that every C5 has a sticker in the console glove compartment that lists the RPO codes for everything that was put on the car when it was built. Get a list of the codes and use them to check any cars that you're interested in. If it's supposed to have EMT's and doesn't.......why?. If it came with a CD changer and there isn't one in the car now.......why? If it came with red interior and now has black......why? It might help you to get a better feel for any car you might be interested in buying. And besides.....if the owner has nothing to hide he or she will not mind you looking and asking.
Andy Anderson
Wow Andy! You people are incredible! Thanks for the wonderful advice!

Bob,
Checking the RPO codes is a great suggestion.

You can get a list of what each of the RPO codes mean for every year in the Tech Center- Model Center here at the CAC.

Here is a link to the 2001's. You can navigate to other years at the top of the screen. http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c5/2001/index.html

Once you bring up that page, then the link that you're interested in is "Regular Production Options".

If I was searching, I would keep a keen eye out for a car with a GM extended warranty. That can be a pretty good thing to have.

Good luck with your search. Be patient, like everyone says.

Tammy

Thank-you Andy. Is the automatic as good as the manual?
Bob, couldn't say! I drove a standard when I test drove a 98 coupe, and it shifted fine and had great acceleration, but I truthfuly didn't care if I got a standard or an auto. As it turns out, I prefer cruising to all out acceleration and the auto works out just fine for me and the way I drive.
Andy

Thank-you. I tried to reply to you, but I guess I messed it up. I am from the Providence area and have heard of your fine dealership. I used to deal with Simon Chevrolet in Woonsocket RI prior to me moving to Myrtle Beach SC. I have looked at the Vettes in your inventory, and, of course, they are fantastic. I just hate the drive through NYC and the DC area. Thanks for you advice.

Bob,

Please feel free to contact me at any time -- my cell is 617-872-8252, and my email is TheKemps2@comcast.net.

Elaine

So what your telling us is, you sold a Vette and bought a hyundai?:L Well thats ya problem right their.:L And just when I thought I have seen it all.;LOL

Also, when you finaly do go to look at a car, you might want to check the onboard diagnostics to see if any error codes are set in the car.

The "diagnostic display" mode is entered with the following procedure: 1) turn on the ignition but don't start the engine. 2) press the "reset" button to turn off any warning messages 2) press and hold "options" and 4) while holding "options", press "fuel" four times within a 10-second period.

If there are any errors they will display a code (four digit number followed by either H or C...H= history = problem happened in the past but is not currently a problem C = Current = thats a problem now) which you can look up in a bunch of places on the net (including here) and in the car's owners manual if present.

One of the worst things about a C5 is that it has eleven computers in it that have to talk to each other, but then again, one of the best things about the C5 is that they pretty much do it so well ;-) and they make driving one almost effortless. (I mean if you can't drive a C5 fast, you should probably think about not driving fast at all :) ).

I love my car. The only thing I would like that I didnt get is the Selective Ride Control, and the fact that I bought it with 43k miles. If I had it to do over again, I'd wait till I found one with less miles (I just can't stop driving it :) )

Good Luck, and stop back and let us know what you get when you get it.

Other than car-fax you may take a few other precautions and if repairs were done by a shop they might not show up in the reports.

Take the car off the dealer lot in the evening and take a look at the paint match under the orange lights that are common in shopping centers. Dealer lighting often hides defects that may stand out under different lighting.

A good and experienced eye can often spot the subtle differences in what appears to be good (undetectable) repair work. Small differences in the type of seam sealer used and some of the hardware ... like screw types will stand out to a good mech.

It's worth the $50 to $100 to have it looked over.

So what your telling us is, you sold a Vette and bought a hyundai?:L Well thats ya problem right their.:L And just when I thought I have seen it all.;LOL
I never said I was the brightest bulb in the circuit

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom