Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Aftermarket door panel install

KOPBET

Corvette
'73 Silver LS4 4 speed
I am considering purchasing door panels from Al Knoch Interiors, but I understand no holes are cut in the door panels when purchased.

Quote from an email:

"Please be advise that we donnot cut out any holes on the door panels. "Please fax us your information so we can set you up as a trim shop".

Set me up as a trim shop? Huh?

So how does one get the holes and slits, etc. cut in the panel correctly without ruining an expensive panel? How about slots for the mounting brackets, plastic "velcro" (for a lack of a better term) etc.?

If anyone has been through this operation please advise how the journey went.

It means that you have to use your old panel and measure out for the holes!! Some models had a little different moldings than others!!! It's no Big Whoop Kop!!! You can Do IT!!! And I dono bout the Trim Shop stuff!!:D :upthumbs
I am considering purchasing door panels from Al Knoch Interiors, but I understand no holes are cut in the door panels when purchased.

Quote from an email:

"Please be advise that we donnot cut out any holes on the door panels. "Please fax us your information so we can set you up as a trim shop".

Set me up as a trim shop? Huh?

So how does one get the holes and slits, etc. cut in the panel correctly without ruining an expensive panel? How about slots for the mounting brackets, plastic "velcro" (for a lack of a better term) etc.?

If anyone has been through this operation please advise how the journey went.

It means that you have to use your old panel and measure out for the holes!! Some models had a little different moldings than others!!! It's no Big Whoop Kop!!! You can Do IT!!! And I dono bout the Trim Shop stuff!!:D :upthumbs

What about holes for mounting brackets? How about the slits for the U-Turn, Window Crank cup, etc?

I used brown paper to make a template and transfered the holes from the back of old panel and marked the back of the new one, worked for me.

What about holes for mounting brackets? How about the slits for the U-Turn, Window Crank cup, etc?
All of them I ever did has perforation on the back side where you could see them and cut them out with a knife!!
:upthumbs

Ok, some of that sounds straight forward enough. The main thing that concerns me is the holes for the front and rear mounting bracket. Those holes are recessed into the material, right?

And the placstic "velcro" stuff? Do you transfer that too or forget about it?

I PMd Wally Knoch the day after Christmas with some questions but he has yet to respond.

If anyone has connections with him ...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom