Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Interior Insulation??? What did you use?

midyearroadster427

Corvette
1967 Red 427 Roadster, 2012 Grand Sport Coupe
I am going to install new carpets to the front of my roadster this winter. So this is the perfect time to see if I can help reduce some heat that melts me every summer. Even with the sidepipes that big block produces so much heat its unbearable on a hot summers day. Can any of you tell me what you have used to cut the heat ...???? Thanks...

First, I would block off my heater hoses so hot water is not always flowing through you passanger side foot well.

Ralph.

i used reflectix bubble paper from home depot and duct tape, then i put a juke backing of about 1/4 inch over that, then i layed my carpet. heat wins every time, this is a simple fix, but time will still let the heat in regardless of what you do. if you look at my avitar you will notice a pace car spoiler on my front end...it was done for 2 reasons, looks and heat. it helps but again, time works againt it and eventually heat will get it.
However i did have a benifit from my efforts....sound barrier! after doing the interior work to beat the heat, i noticed that my compartment was much quieter and i could carry on conversation at any speed and not have to yell or turn my radio up to hear it. worth the effort and time to do, not very expensive at all.
this is just my outcome with what i did, others may have had more success than me,
good luck and let us know how you do in the end...
Chas:_rock

Reflectix that I got at Lowes. It is very thin and does a good job of insulating the heat.
Front_Carpet_Reflectix.jpg

Thermo-Tec Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier

There are several related products, one of which has an adhesive backing. I found this at Jegs, but I'm sure others have similar "stuff". They also have "header" wrap, which you can use to wrap the exhaust sytem as it flows under the driver/passenger compartment....

Mike

Interior Insulation

midyearroadster427,

I also used Reflectix insulation. Good stuff. I bought it from an auto apholstery guy back in 1992 and it still works well as of last summer. It came in 4 ft and 6 ft widths. I purchased a 4' x 13' piece and did our 64 coupe. You know how hot the coupes get. Used 3M spray adhesive with a utility knife and scissors to fit it. Never had a problem, the only heat that comes through is from the shifter boot. Will be doing our 67 in the next few months with Reflectix.

I used cool-it, just like they used on OVERHAULIN. They also used this in the project car in CORVETTE FEVER. Its a little expensive.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom