Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hardtop for 94conv

nh94vette

Corvette
1994 blk on blk roadster
Looking for a good hardtop for my 94 conv. Second hand or new from a reliable company.

Look on e-bay and there are usually a few for sale that are used original GM for less than the Smoothlines. 89 to 96 convertible hardtops are all the same and will fit your car. Just wait for the right color or have it painted. Make sure it comes with the brackets and make sure the weather strip is good because it is extremely expensive to replace. If you are patient you will eventually see one close enough to avoid shipping.

I have been watching ebay but I'm new to the whole process at this point. I can see I'll have to learn more about getting stuff on line.
Thanks all.

this is your color too

Ebay Item #250071970198

Unfortunately the seller says "pick up only" and the seller is in IL! That hardtop seems to be the only C4 hardtop for sale on e-bay right now.

Keep watching and more will turn up. I bought mine on e-bay about 3 years ago. I drove to PA, put the top on the car and drove it home. (same color!)

Look on e-bay and there are usually a few for sale that are used original GM for less than the Smoothlines. 89 to 96 convertible hardtops are all the same and will fit your car. Just wait for the right color or have it painted. Make sure it comes with the brackets and make sure the weather strip is good because it is extremely expensive to replace. If you are patient you will eventually see one close enough to avoid shipping.

In addition to getting the brackets, you should also obtain all of the bolts and washers. These cost about $6 to $10 each. Two very important items are the wrenches. The front wrench is a rachet with an long torex head for fastening the "floating" bolts in the windshield bracket to the hardtop. This costs about $30 new. The wrench for the back two bolts that fasten into the vert's soft top slots on the rear deck lid costs about $50+. This is the most important wrench of the two as it is has closed box end circular rachets on each end. The very thin handle allows for the circular rachets to fit over the bolt head for tightening or removal. The wrench is very thin so that it can be removed from the bolt head easily without scratching the interior of the top at the attachment point. Standard wrenches will not work, and the only substitute is an open end wrench wihich takes much longer to use and may scratch the finish of the interior of the hardtop. So, if the used hard top does not have the equiment above, factor these cots into the price. Also check the headliner and the two wires that lead to the defrost system on the rear window. The wires must be intact, and the quick release connectors in good shape. You can always replace the connectors, but the wire is another thing.

Good luck on your search. I have had 4 convertibles and each had hardtops. My 1994 roadster with hardtop is torch red. Having lived in "cold" country all my life, I insist on having a hardtop. Makes for a great ride, as it tightens the whole car. However, this year the 1994 vette, with hartop attached, sits under its cover along with my 2002 coupe in the garage due to the 4+ feet of snow that has accumulated since mid December. Can't wait till spring!!!!

Looking for a good hardtop for my 94 conv. Second hand or new from a reliable company.

Smooth Line does offer hardtops for your C4, and they come primed, but not painted. A great paint job will cost you some bucks. It takes about half a quart of factory paint to do the job. Smallest size can is the quart and costs $110 or so. The clear coat will cost you also, but I do not know the price. You can expect to spend at least $500 to paint the hardtop including labor. I recommend that you use factory color paint and either leave the car with the painter so he can get an exact match, or leave the front license plate cover with the painter for the color match. If you purchase from Smooth Line, you have to pay for shipping. If you purchase used, you will have to pick it up or pay for crating and shipping. I also replied to a post in this section about brackets with info on the wrenches. Good luck.

C4 Hardtop

Good Morning. I have a GM top with all hardware and wrenches. Came off my 91 in perfect condition. Color is white. Could be shipped. Let me know. Beobachter

In addition to getting the brackets, you should also obtain all of the bolts and washers. These cost about $6 to $10 each. Two very important items are the wrenches. The front wrench is a rachet with an long torex head for fastening the "floating" bolts in the windshield bracket to the hardtop. This costs about $30 new. The wrench for the back two bolts that fasten into the vert's soft top slots on the rear deck lid costs about $50+. This is the most important wrench of the two as it is has closed box end circular rachets on each end. The very thin handle allows for the circular rachets to fit over the bolt head for tightening or removal. The wrench is very thin so that it can be removed from the bolt head easily without scratching the interior of the top at the attachment point. Standard wrenches will not work, and the only substitute is an open end wrench wihich takes much longer to use and may scratch the finish of the interior of the hardtop. So, if the used hard top does not have the equiment above, factor these cots into the price. Also check the headliner and the two wires that lead to the defrost system on the rear window. The wires must be intact, and the quick release connectors in good shape. You can always replace the connectors, but the wire is another thing.

Good luck on your search. I have had 4 convertibles and each had hardtops. My 1994 roadster with hardtop is torch red. Having lived in "cold" country all my life, I insist on having a hardtop. Makes for a great ride, as it tightens the whole car. However, this year the 1994 vette, with hartop attached, sits under its cover along with my 2002 coupe in the garage due to the 4+ feet of snow that has accumulated since mid December. Can't wait till spring!!!!

Good information here but I just want to add that you can save a few dollars on the wrenches by getting non factory replacements. The flat wrench (described above) for the rear deck bolts can be obtained for under $10 at Sears and it is an exact match for the factory wrench ecept for the writing engraved on the wrench. It is 8mm as I recall. The Sears wrench and the original factory wrench are so identical that I get them mixed up. As recall the factory wrench may say STAR on it or something like that. The factory wrench also comes with a small black canvas case to hold it. The roof wrench is a common torx size also available in Sears or elsewhere for a few dollars (I forget the size right now). The torx wrenches are for sale on e bay all the time. The washers on my factory bolts won't come off the bolt. Of course if you want all the factory original tools the prices above are right on. Another rare item for the hardtops is the cloth rear deck cover which is rarely seen with the tops.

The Smooth Line top is nothing like the factory (RPO CC2) hardtop. The factory top has a built in steel "halo bar" like the coupes have and requires the two heavy steel mounting brackets to attach the top to the car's B-pillar.

The factory top when properly installed, ties the windshield pillar to the halo bar and down to the frame. The hardtop actually makes the vert stiffer than a coupe once it's bolted down.

The Smooth Line top only attaches to the windshield frame and the rear decklid and offers no direct stiffening support to the body. The standard rear window in the Smooth Line top is plexiglass with tempered safety glass as an option. A defogger grid is another option but standard on the factory top. Smooth Line tops run into 4 figures and still requires painting.

Was Ebay good to you?

If Ebay did not solve your problem then email me and we can talk about my factory top for your roadster. It certainly does give the car a distinctive look and is well built. Two people can "on-off" in a matter of minutes. I built a little removal system with rope and pulleys to make it a single person install. Glass window has defroster and the top certainly makes the car quiet when installed. I will await your email.

Good information here but I just want to add that you can save a few dollars on the wrenches by getting non factory replacements. The flat wrench (described above) for the rear deck bolts can be obtained for under $10 at Sears and it is an exact match for the factory wrench ecept for the writing engraved on the wrench. It is 8mm as I recall. The Sears wrench and the original factory wrench are so identical that I get them mixed up. As recall the factory wrench may say STAR on it or something like that. The factory wrench also comes with a small black canvas case to hold it. The roof wrench is a common torx size also available in Sears or elsewhere for a few dollars (I forget the size right now). The torx wrenches are for sale on e bay all the time. The washers on my factory bolts won't come off the bolt. Of course if you want all the factory original tools the prices above are right on. Another rare item for the hardtops is the cloth rear deck cover which is rarely seen with the tops.

I have not seen the particular wrench from Sears that you are describing. I have almost all the wrenches that Sears sells, dating from the 50s, and I found that the Sears wrench handles are too thick to use. I had misplaced my factory wrench and tried various Sears wrenches without success. The factory wrench was very thin. Fortunately I found it before removing the hardtop last spring. I hope that the Sears wrench you described is available. Doesn't hurt to have a back-up. Thanks for the information - I'll check the nearest Sears store the next time I am in town.

I have not seen the particular wrench from Sears that you are describing. I have almost all the wrenches that Sears sells, dating from the 50s, and I found that the Sears wrench handles are too thick to use. I had misplaced my factory wrench and tried various Sears wrenches without success. The factory wrench was very thin. Fortunately I found it before removing the hardtop last spring. I hope that the Sears wrench you described is available. Doesn't hurt to have a back-up. Thanks for the information - I'll check the nearest Sears store the next time I am in town.

I'm looking at both now and the Sears wrench says Craftsman on it and the factory wrench says KASTAR. The Craftsman has a number on it that may be a part #, 42171. The KASTAR has a number on it that may be a part number I guess "RBM-0708". Both have the same PAT. NO. 2,500,835 and really look virtually identical.

You were absolutely correct on the wrench. I went to Sears today and found the exact wrench you described for $5.99. I purchased it as a backup to the one that came with the vette. Plus, if I am lucky, someone can work on the other deck bolt as I work on one, so it comes off in half the time. The only difference was that the metric size and SAE sizes were etched onto the wrench and my vette wrench has painted sizes. Same Pat Pending number. Also, it is 8 mm and 7 mm ends. What I was stressing was that the wrench is thiner than most of these type wrenches and allows the closed end to come off the bolt head when the bolt is removed and extends upward. My hardtop did not come with the rear deck cover. The soft top did, of course

Thanks for the info. Hope this discussion helps others who are looking for hardtops. I put mine on at the end of October, drove it once and now it is in the garage - can't get it out due to the depth of snow. at least 2 feet.

You were absolutely correct on the wrench. I went to Sears today and found the exact wrench you described for $5.99. I purchased it as a backup to the one that came with the vette. Plus, if I am lucky, someone can work on the other deck bolt as I work on one, so it comes off in half the time. The only difference was that the metric size and SAE sizes were etched onto the wrench and my vette wrench has painted sizes. Same Pat Pending number. Also, it is 8 mm and 7 mm ends. What I was stressing was that the wrench is thiner than most of these type wrenches and allows the closed end to come off the bolt head when the bolt is removed and extends upward. My hardtop did not come with the rear deck cover. The soft top did, of course

Thanks for the info. Hope this discussion helps others who are looking for hardtops. I put mine on at the end of October, drove it once and now it is in the garage - can't get it out due to the depth of snow. at least 2 feet.

Glad you found the wrench!

hard top

I have a hard top I used on my '86. If it will work for you I'm asking $850. It needs some repair to paint chips and headliner. Other than that it's in good shape. I can send pics if needed

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom