Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

63 Coupe Project - Update

richscorvettes

Corvette
1963 & 2007 Z06 Coupes
It’s been a while since I’ve updated our web site on the 63 coupe project but I’ve just added a few new pictures and more information. The link to the site is shown below in our signature and here is a direct link to that page: http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/richs7/Web_Page_10_-_63_Corvette_Project.shtml

We are doing a series of articles on the project for Corvette Fever magazine and the first two installments appeared in the February and March issues. The next article will be in the April issue and will cover the engine, drive-train and brakes. Since we are preparing the articles at the same time we’re building the car, future installments will appear as we make further progress.

Hope you enjoy seeing where we are at this point.

Rich & Barb Lagasse

Wow

:eek That is very, very nice. The work that you are doing is quite impressive. :upthumbs

Nice shop (garage), too. Keep up the good work.

Rick
:gap

Rich,

Very impressive work, as usual. I'm anxious to see the final result. :)

Rich & Barbara

I knew when I met the two of you in Carlisle in 02 after seeing your 62 for the first time that your talents were beyond belief. Your 67 was absolutely incredible but this project leaves me at a loss for words. Lucky and proud to know you both.

Rich,

I will not go the same route as the above respondents in complimenting your build, but will be content in saying to you, that I am not surprised in the least, in seeing this high quality build of yours. Looks to me like we will have to chalk up one more for the Super Chevy " Gold Class "

Anything less would not have been of your doing. As we have many times seen in the past, your work is beyond praise.

I am also very impressed with your choice in the color of your frame. Without knowing it is identical to the color combo that I have chosen for my own SRIII frame. It reminds me of a compliment you once gave me when we shared something else in one of our builds by telling me that, and I quote, " Great minds think alike " It was a great compliment for me at the time, and still is.

Looking forward to hooking up with you sometime soon. My very best wishes, and say hello to Barb for me.

Bob
A.K.A. Stepinwolf

Rich & Barb,

What can I say, except the workmanship and attention to detail are incredible!

I hope to see it in person one day.
Take care,
Brian

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Barb and I are happy to know most of you personally and we're looking forward to seeing you at events this year.

This has certainly been the most extensive project we've undertaken but we've really enjoying it. I think we get as much out of the design and build as we do anything else. While some previous projects have been done in much less time we wanted to take our time with this one and enjoy it more - no rush or deadlines even though we have an overall plan.

Bob, yes, we just couldn't stray from painting the frame with our mix of red. But, powder-coating sure would have been much easier! :L

Lou, your burnouts at Carlisle are still something to remember! :lou

I will be adding more pictures to the web page once the next article is out.

Well, back to it. Our Punch List still has over ninety things to do on it so I'd better get going....... :eyerole

Thanks again,

Rich Lagasse

Absolutely a work of art. It's nice to see that this is a family project that you are all enjoying.

I'm sorry if I missed this in the text but are you using any type of coating on the polished parts? Looking at the pictures I get a little squeemish thinking about trying to keep all of that polished alloy that bright after it has been assembled.

Tom

It's nice to see that this is a family project that you are all enjoying.

I'm sorry if I missed this in the text but are you using any type of coating on the polished parts? Looking at the pictures I get a little squeemish thinking about trying to keep all of that polished alloy that bright after it has been assembled.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks. It's sure been a family project and Barb is always a big help. It's always fun to see her answering questions at the shows. Since she's lived through the projects she really knows her stuff and her enthusiasm really comes through. Our two sons have also helped when they can and it's been enjoyable to work with them. I often have them help with the heavy lifting.......:L

You are right about finding something to keep polished parts looking good. You sure don't want to have to do that job again! The second installment of the project series (March, 2007 issue of Corvette Fever) goes into that in depth.

But, the boiled down version is that I tried all sorts of coatings (clear powder coat, POR 15 Glisten, clear coat paint, etc.) and finally decided that chrome would look best and be easier to maintain. So, after finishing all that polishing, I decided to have the parts chromed. That raised several issues which I've also mentioned in the article. Bottom-line, after all the experimenting and effort, my suggestion is to either leave them natural or coat with a powder coat such as the high luster silver.

For those parts which can't be plated or powder coated I've used Zoops Seal. It's a four step process but does look great and retains the shine. Time will tell though on how long it lasts.

Rich Lagasse

Hello Rich
I am very impressed with your work. I look forward to seeing more pics, and hopefully someday to see it in person ......
take care
Tom

Rich, you do great work....but I think you are also INSANE!!!!

regards, Herb

Rich, you do great work....but I think you are also INSANE!!!!

regards, Herb

Hmmm, now where have I heard that before....?? :L Actually, my being crazy is just an unconfirmed and ugly rumor....... :eyerole :D

Tom,

Hope to see you and Deb in Carlisle this year.

Rich Lagasse

Hmmm, now where have I heard that before....?? :L Actually, my being crazy is just an unconfirmed and ugly rumor....... :eyerole :D

Tom,

Hope to see you and Deb in Carlisle this year.

Rich Lagasse
Will the new car be ready for Carlisle this year? When is the planned unveiling?

Herb

Rich Just read the article GREAT JOB

Beautifully pictures also. The kitchen table looks falmiur also with all the parts laid out , trying to figure out what goes in what bag. I tell I would be lost trying to build a car with out this type of organization .

I am just listening to an education CD set from a fellow named Brian Tracy on setting and acquiring goals. I tell you anybody who's thinking of building a car and don't quite understanding the importance of planning or setting goals should listen to this CD set and apply what he is describing as you go about building your car. My wife says I am crazy but just about every thing I see or hear I can generally bring it to a "car level " and better understand it.

I look forward to next month article.

Keep up the great work

I tell you anybody who's thinking of building a car and don't quite understanding the importance of planning or setting goals should listen to this CD set and apply what he is describing as you go about building your car.

Larry,

Thanks. You're certainly right about planning a project. That said, plans shouldn't be set in stone. Even with the best plans you will find that many things will change over time and there will be unforseeable issues which will impact the time line - and usually the cost. Some are controllable with enough research and thought but some will be surprises. You always know those will happen but you just can't predict what they will be.

I won't comment on your wife saying you're crazy - hits a little too close to home for me........ :L

Rich

Herb,

Sure hope to have it finished in time for Carlisle.

Rich Lagasse
Awesome, please bring some extra towels so that when I am drooling on it, I have something to wipe it off with!!!

Herb

Absolutely incredible Rich! The detail you go to! You guys always seem to find a way to take these restorations to new greater levels. The skills and talent here at the CAC never ceases to amaze me and the ease that all of you share your knowledge and expertise reflects the caliber of the members and it is fantastic. Great learning tools and insight shared. Thank you for sharing your progress and all the great pics. Nice to see Barb right in there too!;)

Sometimes you guys posting these threads is the only chance people like me who don't have the skills, knowledge or resources get to experience these restorations. I was extremely fortunate that someone special let me in on their project and can only hope some of you do the same. It's a treasured experience that I'll never forget.
Thanks again Rich
Doug

Nice to see Barb right in there too!;)
Doug

Doug,

Good to hear from you and thanks for the kind thoughts. Barb's appreciated all your notes over the past year. Hope to see you again in Carlisle.

Rich & Barb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom