Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Barn find, need help with Block numbers!!

250rtone

Good barn find i think, 61 vert, 4 spd, fuelie. All fuel inj parts are long gone and i think the engine has been changed as well. Vin# 10867s107646 numbers on block are T0229D from what i can make out (low light conditions and hard to see).Any idea what the engine is from? I can get this for $25000 Canadian, what do you guys think? I have many pics if someone will post them for me because they are too big.

Email me the pictures and I will get them posted

You're right. The engine is not original. It's a Tonawanda block and it needs to be a Flint block (F first letter instead of T) for a 1961 Corvette. The single letter D was a suffix used from 1958 until 1964 to represent a 283 Powerglide in a passenger car. You would need to check the casting date on the rear of the block visible behind the head on the bell housing flange to see exactly what year it is.

But wait! It was assembled on Feb 29th. My birthday and since the 29th only comes every 4 years it has to be 1960 or 1964. How about that? A leap year block. In 1960 the 29th was on Monday and in 1964 it was on Saturday. I'm betting on 1960. I was 12 (or 3 :L)

Tom

SA-WEET car!!!!

Wow! That looks great! If you don't want it for $25K, I expect there's a few folks around who might!!

-Mac

hi h.p. tack

red lines at 6500 r.p.m as picture shows 61& 62 vetts with solid lifters.I have all f.i. componets ,other than air cleaner for same.also a 519 block dated nov 60 28th.

Looks like a nice find. Snap it up fast and enjoy it.

I can get this for $25000 Canadian, what do you guys think?
You requested opinions. Here goes. First, if the title is clear and clean, take a good look at the frame. Is the car driveable? If so, that is a bonus. How about the paint and body....good, fair? Interior?
JMHO, but a little over 21K (USD) seems like a good deal, on the surface, as per the pic's. BTW, based on what I see, I could be interested in the car if you decide to pass. Bottom line......I think you found a buy.

Car has a clean and clear title. The frame looked great with only very slight (and i mean slight) surface rust. The seats have been recovered and the carpet was replaced as well, the gauges are all there and we were told they worked (she was not sure about the tach). The car was last used in June 2006, 4 tires are new as are all the brakes. The convertible top is all there and is in good condition, the body is very straight and only seems weak around where the hood latches and all the glass seems to be original, the front bumper brackets are tweaked a little. Should the door jams be black as in the pics?

Should the door jams be black as in the pics?

No. They should be body color. I'd bet that this is a black car posing as a white one for the picture. :D

:L Yes it looks like someone got lazy when it was time to repaint and didn't want to spend the time refinishing the door jambs.

Tom

A friend of mine purchased it and we go to pick it up on Tuesday, i will post some pics shrtly after.

That car is clearly a fraud. Probably a kit car. Just send Uncle 65-to00 the owners address and I'll give them a good talking to!

Ya' just can't trust some folks can you. ;squint:

You are one lucky donkey to find that "in a barn" .... and if you don't buy it .. :bash

block

The numbers on the back of the block are 3756519... can someone help with this?
that is the right casting number for that car .what date does it show.oppisite side at the rear top.some dated on side of block drivers side.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom