Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

All in the Family...The Carlisle Family That Is.

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
All in the Family...The Carlisle Family That Is.

February 5, 2007
The Business Will Stay in the Miller Families

CARLISLE, Pa. – Chip Miller, co-founder of Carlisle Events, had a favorite saying, “Life is Good.” His son Lance has carried on that tradition, and it appears he will continue to carry on a lot more at Carlisle Events with his long- time friend and companion Bill Miller III. In a recent employee meeting, Bill Miller, Jr., announced that Lance Miller and Bill Miller III, his son, will continue in their respective families’ tradition of operating the Carlisle Events business at the Carlisle Fairgrounds.

Chip Miller and Bill Miller, Jr., not related, but good friends with the same last name, started Carlisle Events in the fall of 1974 with the Fall Carlisle Collector Car Swap Meet & Car Corral. The show was such a success that three years later they began Spring Carlisle Collector Car Swap Meet & Car Corral. In 1981 they purchased the Carlisle Fairgrounds which is the home to Carlisle’s automotive shows. Throughout the 34 years of existence, the Miller families continued to add specialty shows to their event seasons. Today, Carlisle Events produces eight specialty shows, plus the Spring and Fall events which also serve as bases for the Spring and Fall Collector Car Auctions. The specialty shows include Carlisle Performance & Style, Carlisle Import-Kit/Replicar, Carlisle All-Ford Nationals, Carlisle All-GM Nationals, Carlisle All-Chrysler Nationals, Carlisle Summer Bike Fest, Carlisle All-Truck Nationals, and Corvettes at Carlisle.

When asked about the recent changes, Bill Miller, Jr., commented, “I couldn’t be happier. Chip and I built our shows into a really successful and exciting business. We had a ball doing it, but I’m getting to the age where I want to pursue other interests such as family and grandkids. I’m just so pleased that Lance and Bill III have agreed to help me take the business to the next level and still keep it a family business going into our second generation. We love our business, we love our vendors and we love our visitors. We try to treat everyone as though they are part of the big Carlisle Events family. I like to think of ourselves as the Disneyland of automotive events. I know Bill III and Lance will carry on that tradition.”

Both of the younger Millers grew up with the business. Bill III recalls sitting at his kitchen table at the age of five with his parents. “Dad folded the fliers, Mom stuffed them, and I licked the envelopes and put on the stamp. Since that time, Lance and I have done almost every job there is at the fairgrounds.”

Although three years apart in age, the two boys followed similar paths growing up. Bill III attended Northwood University in Palm Beach, Florida. Four years later, after hearing good things about the school, Lance also attended. They both received degrees in Business Management. After school, the two Millers joined their families’ business in event planning, worked for several years and branched out into their own pursuits. For the past seven years Bill III has worked at his European automotive business in Mechanicsburg, PA. He has a historically-significant collection of Audi race cars. Lance pursued a web design business in Ocean City, New Jersey, called Web Mods. When his father got sick and eventually passed away, Lance rejoined Carlisle Events as the Event Manager for Corvettes at Carlisle, which was his dad’s passion. Lance and Bill III are both “car guys,” love to race and do anything automotive. Lance is an avid snowboarder and surfer. Beyond cars and road racing, Bill’s other real passion is charcoal grilling with his friends. Both men are married, Lance to Michele and Bill III to Tonya. Both reside in central Pennsylvania.

When asked about where they plan to take the business, Lance Miller said, “Bill and I have discussed the future in great detail and agree the most important thing is to keep the business fun, exciting and fresh for the many guests that come to Carlisle because they know it is the place to go for great automotive entertainment.” Bill III added, “My dad and Chip believed in treating every vendor and spectator as part of the family. Lance and I intend to continue that tradition.”

Responding to questions about the future of the hobby, Lance Miller was quick to respond, “Bill III and I are the next generation. We grew up with computers and the internet. We have some great ideas about strategic upgrades to our web site that will make our internet surfers excited about visiting the site. Our ultimate goal is to make the visitor want to return to our website at least once a week. It’s the next generation moving in; expect to see some new ideas implemented, not only into our website, but the overall business efforts.”

Bill III spoke to the question of appealing to younger audiences, “We know it is important to continue to entertain our existing customer base, but we also need to attract younger audiences as well. After all, they continue to be the future of our success in this business. Lance and I have some exciting plans that we will be rolling out throughout this season and into the future.”

Source: http://www.carlislemediasite.com/content.asp?ArticleID=648

Related Links: http://www.chipmiller.org

This is great news about to very nice people keeping the best automotive event going for all of us. :beer

Rob-

Thanks for catching & promoting the new news!

We appreciate all of your support (as always!).

Sincerely,

Lance

• Admin
Rob-

Thanks for catching & promoting the new news!

We appreciate all of your support (as always!).

Sincerely,

Lance

No problem Lance. It's a good press release! :)

I tried to find a good pic of you and your dad to use on the homepage, but couldn't really find one, so I used the one of your dad from the ChipMiller.org site.

Hey Lance,

This is great news all around. Does this mean that the dispute over moving Events@Carlisle to another location have been resolved with the Feds?

Hey Lance,

This is great news all around. Does this mean that the dispute over moving Events@Carlisle to another location have been resolved with the Feds?

Vetmaniac-

We're in the final stages right now, everything is looking very good for Carlisle Events :beer

Thanks for asking,

Lance

Lance
Have you considered making RV camping available? In addition, just having the option of electrical connections would be a bonus. People like their air conditioned and the adult beverages cold in the fridge!

Most RVs are self contained regarding water and sewer. By offering electricity, you avoid generators disturbing the quiet plus the exhaust gases.

Not only would this produce another revenue stream but would encourage multi-day event attendance. Further, by having camping, your events could be more family oriented. You said you wanted to encourage younger participation - what better way than to have dad/grandpa bring the entire family, including mom. Who knows if mom wouldn't find the car of her dreams for sale! Maybe even more dads could (or would be allowed to) attend if the event had a broader appeal. The synergy is endless.

Build it - they will come. Check out any major racing event, regardless of sanction.

Myron

Lance
Have you considered making RV camping available? In addition, just having the option of electrical connections would be a bonus. People like their air conditioned and the adult beverages cold in the fridge!

Most RVs are self contained regarding water and sewer. By offering electricity, you avoid generators disturbing the quiet plus the exhaust gases.

Not only would this produce another revenue stream but would encourage multi-day event attendance. Further, by having camping, your events could be more family oriented. You said you wanted to encourage younger participation - what better way than to have dad/grandpa bring the entire family, including mom. Who knows if mom wouldn't find the car of her dreams for sale! Maybe even more dads could (or would be allowed to) attend if the event had a broader appeal. The synergy is endless.

Build it - they will come. Check out any major racing event, regardless of sanction.

Myron

Myron-

During our larger events unfortunately we are simply out of room on our facility. I love your post and appreciate you sharing your ideas with us. It's always nice when people provide feedback (negative or positive) - so, thank you for taking the time to do so! The armory ground adjacent to our facility does have an RV camping area. I'm not certain of the electrical situation over there; however I will post a message here when I find out :)

We are working on an arrangement that will allow us to lease (over a long period) a portion of the property adjacent to our facility. Your idea would be something that might really work well there - so once again, thank you!

I'll update you shortly on the electrical situation on the armory.

Cheers,

Lance

Follow-up: The armory does not have electric for the RV campers - I just double checked.

If I may be so bold - where in the world would you suggest a large enough area be provided for such RV over-the-weekend camping? Carlisle is a small town, unlike that of Daytona or Talladega Superspeedway!

Perfect! Looking forward to many more years of fun at Corvettes at Carlisle!

Hutch-

Glad to hear it - we're looking forward to many more as well. Life is good!!

Lance

thanks to NCRS and B/J older corvettes have been put out of the financial reach of most young people and this is hurting the corvette hobby. JMHO

do you see what old corvettes are selling for that is because the rich guys need them to build their top flite NCRS cars.

thanks to NCRS and B/J older corvettes have been put out of the financial reach of most young people and this is hurting the corvette hobby. JMHO

I'm normally not one to jump into a debate, but I wanted to share my brief and very humble opinion. We are all VERY fortunate that Corvettes have become collectible - heck, it could be like most other cars & become worthless in the long run. B/J, NCRS & others are simply helping the collectability of these cars by showing the public that these cars can actually be a wise investment in the long haul.

Everything goes in cycles – hmmm… I wonder when the C4’s will become collector cars (they have already started) – it’s nice to see our hobby is so strong. The simple effect of supply/demand (and sometimes ego) comes into effect. Overall, I'm thrilled to be working in a hobby that I love so dearly. Life is good

Lance

I too have to agree with Lance here.

I have been a NCRS member for many years now. I don't own an old Corvette and at this point in my life, I have no interest in undertaking the restoration of one.

However, with that said, the NCRS has been EXTREMELY beneficial to our hobby. They hold information, history and documentation that is invaluable to the Corvette hobby. You may not find part numbers and date codes of every single nut and bolt on your Corvette to be beneficial to you, but believe me, it is beneficial to someone and helps shed light on how our Corvettes were engineered and manufactured.

Does the NCRS have the possibility of playing a key role in the value of an old Corvette? Absolutely. IMHO, they should. They have set many standards in how Corvettes should be legitimately documented and restored to factory specifications; if you so choose to do so.

If you don't, that's your decision too.

But to hold the current prices of collectible Corvettes against organizations such as NCRS and Barret Jackson, is IMHO, ridiculous.

I drool at the bit everytime I see a fully restored, NCRS certified 1969 Corvette big block with side exhaust for $80,000. Can I afford it? Hell no. Do I appreciate it for what it is? Absolutely. Just because I can't afford the price of an old, restored Corvette, doesn't mean I hold it against someone that can afford it, or the organizations that played a key role in helping to establish its value.

The same goes for a brand new Z06. I would LOVE to own a 2007 Z06 Corvette, but I can't afford it. Just because the price is higher than I can afford, doesn't mean I hold it against GM for setting that price, or someone that can afford it.

Last but not least, remember one thing: SUPPLY AND DEMAND. That's the name of the game here. If the supply is rare, and there is a high demand for it - the price goes up.

If I may be so bold - where in the world would you suggest a large enough area be provided for such RV over-the-weekend camping? Carlisle is a small town, unlike that of Daytona or Talladega Superspeedway!

For fear of repeating the obvious but do you suppose that the two places you offered up as examples were CREATED as they exist today? It was an evolutionary thing and all factors contributed to their present status. It's the age old chicken and egg question.

To borrow a page from your thinking, since Carlisle is a small town, providing alternative accommodations such as camping is certainly more financial sustainable than building more hotels and motels, not to mention more affordable for many attendees.

Remember, Carlisle is about more than just Corvettes.

Camping does not discriminate by financial status: a pop up trailer might be parked next to a Prevost bus conversion.

Personally we are tired of hotel reservations gone wrong, and unsatisfactory conditions. Have you ever wondered where that communal pillow you are now laying on, was the night before? Do you think that thin pillow case offers you protection from god knows what bodily fluids were absorbed? Then there is the mattress! ! :puke

Yes, this is all personal prejudice driven but there are increasing larger numbers of people who SHARE these sentiments.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom