Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

steering wheel clean-up

76corvette

Corvette
1976 White L82 Coupe & 2001 White Convert
so im making my list of things that I want to do this spring and one of the items on my list is the steering wheel.. it has no dings/chips or anything physically wrong with it. its just dirty from hands and all the years of driving.. has anyone found a cleaner that works great on it?

its a firethorn red steering wheel .. stock 76 steering wheel for the deluxe interior.

thanks in advance

;help

I use simple green on the one in my 18 wheeler,my pick-up and mamas car,and there interiors.

It seems to do a nice job

mix it 50-50 with water.

so im making my list of things that I want to do this spring and one of the items on my list is the steering wheel.. it has no dings/chips or anything physically wrong with it. its just dirty from hands and all the years of driving.. has anyone found a cleaner that works great on it?

its a firethorn red steering wheel .. stock 76 steering wheel for the deluxe interior.

thanks in advance

;help

I have used "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" with great success on my Volvo. I have not yet used on the vette, but I would guess that it would work just as well.

I used lacqure thinner, a little goes a long ways, then I repainted it with plastic interior dye and when that was dry covered it in black leather from Wheel Skins and it looks great. Let see if I can find the pic. Its just lacking the horn button and that is giving me problems I think the little pin is too long and needs to be grinded down will attempt this week end.

I used Tuff Stuff, a vinyl cleaner.Worked great on mine!

Did the 76's use a leather wrap wheel or plastic or wood?
If it's leather wrapped, pretty much any leather cleaner and conditioner will work. For mild cleaning, I've found that the Lexol products work fine. Just be sure to use the conditioner after the cleaning. Be happy if you don't have an oyster color leather wrapped wheel like me. If I even look at it funny, it will show dirt. ;squint:

i think the steering wheel is actually vinyl. Im going to try that tuff stuff or one of those mr clean magic erasers as suggested and then if need be i got the spray and liquid interior dyes/dies from ecklers. ill stop by napa/target on the way home from work and let ya know which works better.

thanks for all the ideas

is it really necessary to use lacquer thinner on the wheel before putting on the new stuff? Im guessing its to remove the old stuff..

I have used "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" with great success on my Volvo. I have not yet used on the vette, but I would guess that it would work just as well.

I used that too on all the leather in the vette and I was amazed at how awesome it came out. i thought I was going to have to replace all a lot of the door parts etc and the eraser saved me some $$

Hey, I don't think you have to use the lacquer thinner its just what I used to clean mine up before I sprayed it with the dye, I think anything will work as long as it's good and clean before you spray it.

The 76 wheel is 100% vinyl but the wheel skins cover's work real good.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom