Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

headlight help

corvette66

Corvette
1969 427
So i got this 69 i been working on try'n to piece it back together. My next adventure is the headlights. They are complete including the vacuum cans on each light. but there is no can up on the pass side firewall. There should be a can there right? coming from my headlights is 2 vacuum lines that go up the driverside wheel well, then they wrap around by the distributor and both come together into one. then they just stop and hang there, where does it go from there? to the can on the firewall? What does the can on the firewall do? is there any electronics? what opperates the headlight vacuum? is it a line off of the intake manifold? unfortunately I have no car to look at. none of my C3's have working headlights yet, and they are all missing the same components. Odd huh.

if i buy a shop manual does it show all this stuff in good detail? How should i go about reconstructing the headlight plumbing?

any good pics???

So i got this 69 i been working on try'n to piece it back together. My next adventure is the headlights. They are complete including the vacuum cans on each light. but there is no can up on the pass side firewall. There should be a can there right? coming from my headlights is 2 vacuum lines that go up the driverside wheel well, then they wrap around by the distributor and both come together into one. then they just stop and hang there, where does it go from there? to the can on the firewall? What does the can on the firewall do? is there any electronics? what opperates the headlight vacuum? is it a line off of the intake manifold? unfortunately I have no car to look at. none of my C3's have working headlights yet, and they are all missing the same components. Odd huh.

if i buy a shop manual does it show all this stuff in good detail? How should i go about reconstructing the headlight plumbing?

any good pics???
The vacuum tank on a 69 is behind the Lt front Wheel well outside of the Brake master cylinder!!! :upthumbs

attachment.php

attachment.php

man thats insane!!!! Looks like they pulled the plumbing out of a space shuttle. thanx a bunch for that diagram. i'll have to print that out. do they make an electric motor kit? :L

man thats insane!!!! Looks like they pulled the plumbing out of a space shuttle

Amen, now you know why I have had a complete Doc Rebuild vacuum hose kit stuck in the garage for over 3 years!

Just wait til you get them plumbed, then you may have to deal with droopy ones, slow to come up, not coming up, etc.....but thats half the fun!

We're here to help.....get one of those headlight troubleshooting guides.....worth the cash.....

Good luck!

"Just wait til you get them plumbed, then you may have to deal with droopy ones, slow to come up, not coming up, etc.....but thats half the fun!"

hahaha yeah that will be my next problem, lights that work part time. :D

On that diagram, see the hexagonnal stop sign shap'd thing in the middle of the hood, is that the attachment point on the intake manifold? My car has no power brakes btw. So i asume it hooks to the intake and has nothing to do with the intake. Also i have no vacuum ports on my carb or intake. Any idea where else i could run them lines to?

"Just wait til you get them plumbed, then you may have to deal with droopy ones, slow to come up, not coming up, etc.....but thats half the fun!"

hahaha yeah that will be my next problem, lights that work part time. :D

On that diagram, see the hexagonnal stop sign shap'd thing in the middle of the hood, is that the attachment point on the intake manifold? My car has no power brakes btw. So i asume it hooks to the intake and has nothing to do with the intake. Also i have no vacuum ports on my carb or intake. Any idea where else i could run them lines to?
Yeah, thats it!!! It really needs to draw vacuum from the intake,I have no Idea unless you drill and Tap it!!!:upthumbs

yeah i might have to drill and tap. I have a racing intake, and really didn't want to do that but, do what ya gotta do i guess

yeah i might have to drill and tap. I have a racing intake, and really didn't want to do that but, do what ya gotta do i guess

Will snap pic of stock setup and you can go from there.......hold please......

man thats insane!!!! Looks like they pulled the plumbing out of a space shuttle. thanx a bunch for that diagram. i'll have to print that out. do they make an electric motor kit? :L

check out mcspeed.com for the electric headlight conversion. it is a pretty nice system. thinking of getting one myself.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom