Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Six or Seven Blade Fan for a 79 L-82 ?

Corvette
1979 Bright Red L-82
Did the 79 L-82 come with a six or seven blade radiator fan ? I have a/c and a clutch fan with six blades. It stays cool with this system but was just wondering. Vette mags show seven blade. Is there a diff. in them other than one having one more blade?

may be a help.

hi im sure should be seven blade 18inch go to 260100494211 ebay only 9 hours to go, regards.

Were any of the OEM fans on the C3's a six-blade? I didn't have a '79 nor an L82 but my '80 L48 was a seven also. Sold mine on eBay a couple years back. Got a decent penny for it. Wonder if that's mine that's back up on eBay, hahahah :L

Just read the Car and Driver Mag from December 1978. They were doing a test and review on the new 1979 L-82 Vette and I learned that the Factory put a FIVE blade fan on the L-82 for more horsepower. It was only on the L-82...Learn something new everyday.....just passing it along.:upthumbs

Both of my 78 L82s have 7 blades, low, low mile originals. My 79s have 5 blade.

Both of my 79 L82s have 7 blades, low, low mile originals. My 78s have 5 blade.
Well, this is EMBARRASING:rotfl . Went out and counted fan blades! It's the 78s that have 7 blades, the 79s have 5! Old brain syndrome!

Just read the Car and Driver Mag from December 1978. They were doing a test and review on the new 1979 L-82 Vette and I learned that the Factory put a FIVE blade fan on the L-82 for more horsepower. It was only on the L-82...Learn something new everyday.....just passing it along.:upthumbs
Thanks for that info. I have some GM literature that says 7 blade is the optional fan with the aux electric fan in the L82/AC 79s. Must not have updated their 78 info.

I own a 79 L-48 and have a seven blade fan. Five blade fans provide more horsepower?...;squint:

Daryllawman, so in your first post, I wonder what really the difference is between the five and seven blade fans? Good question? Maybe someone will chime in with some good info on this...

I own a 79 L-48 and have a seven blade fan. Five blade fans provide more horsepower?...;squint:
I'm just going to guess that a 5 blade fan was lighter and thus required less effort from the engine. ;shrug

(Another speculation is that) This was around the time that GM was trying to shave any additional weight from the car, such as the numerous weight savings they incurred between the '79 and '80 model year, which I believe was around 350 lbs.

I wonder what really the difference is between the five and seven blade fans?

My best guess is two.

Sounds like an the writer forgot that the fan is almost 100% freewheeling at higher engine speeds and when not required for cooling duties.

Similar to the old story that the '73-75 intake system cuts some outrageous amount off 1/4 mile times. :rotfl

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom