Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vibration above 65 MPH

baddawg

Corvette
'07 Red Coupe
Hi All - My new '07 C6 has a vibration which starts at 65 and gets slighty worse as I go faster. It has been to the dealer 3 times. Work done as follows: 1. Rebalanced Tires; 2. rebalanced again and "re-indexed" front right tire; 3. Installed new tire on right front. [On the last dealer visit, they said the right front had excessive road force. Measurement before tire replcement was 32 lbs. Spec is 26. Indexing would not give any correction].

There has been zero improvement with this work. A friend says the run-flat tires might be the cause. He had the same issue and replaced the EMT's with regular tires, and the vibration went away.

Any advice???

Thanks!!!!

. A friend says the run-flat tires might be the cause. He had the same issue and replaced the EMT's with regular tires, and the vibration went away.
I can't help with the problem, but I never heard of run flats causing this vibration.

There has been zero improvement with this work. A friend says the run-flat tires might be the cause. He had the same issue and replaced the EMT's with regular tires, and the vibration went away.

Any advice???

Thanks!!!!
I haven't had much experience with C6's yet, But my C5 had a similar Vibe,and Rumbled Like Hell!!!!At 10,000 miles I finely took it to the ONLY Hunter GSP 9700 Road Force Balancer in 3 county's and they Indexed ALL the tires and it helped Big time but was still there a Itty Bitty Bit,and it still Rumbled!!At 24,000 I went to Kumho Ecsta ASX All-Season tires(Non RunCrap) Changed my alignment settings and it is SMOOTH as Glass!!No Vibes,No Rumble, Almost No Hydroplaning,(With the BadYears,it would Swap ends with ya in a Heartbeat) and I can now Enjoy my Stereo!!!!!!!!!!Man are they Smooth and Quite!!!!!!! 18,000+ miles Wearing Super and Even!! (7/32 + left) I'll get close to 40,000 miles out of these!!! :upthumbs

I agree with Junk, find a high end custom wheel/tire dealer and ask them what type of balancer they have. The hunter is the best out there you can even go to there web site and find the closes shop near you that has one.
Your other option is to find a shop that balances the tires and wheels while they are on the car. They are hard to find but you cant get much better than balancing the entire rotor, wheel and tire assembly.

Unfortunately these options require extra $ for something that should be covered under warranty.

I think I would try another dealer first.

My experiences with run flats

I bought a new 1999 C5 and drove its Goodyear run flats for 35,000 miles. They were noisy. They hit tar strips and other road imperfections like they were walls, enveloping each while distorting the steering and car's direction. They had little traction in rain.

I replaced them with Michelin all season run flats marketed as A/S ZP (zero pressure). These were much quieter in city and highway driving. On the same roads as I drove the original equipment GYs, the Michelins simply rolled over tar strips and road imperfections. They were much better in rain and light snow.

I recently bought a C6 with the base suspension which comes with third generation GY run flats. These are not the supercar tires of the Z51 suspension package.

To compare the three tires qualitatively, I felt the Michelins were very, very much better than the original C5 GYs. I feel the C6 original equipment GYs are still better than the Michelins in all respects mentioned above.

For me, I see no reason to replace the C6 GY tires with Michelin ZP or any tire -- non-run flat or not.

Your problem may be caused by an out-of-round condition, defective build process, or anything, but it should be identifiable by a dealer's good Vette mechanic.

I would find another dealer to review your description of the problems and see what its resident Vette expert thinks.

Very much analysis and effort has been put into designing the C6 and its new (third generation GY run flats). Your problem is obviously specific to your C6 and not evident in the vast majority of C6. GM should be able to rectify your situation to your satisfaction.

I bought a new 1999 C5 and drove its Goodyear run flats for 35,000 miles. They were noisy. They hit tar strips and other road imperfections like they were walls, enveloping each while distorting the steering and car's direction. They had little traction in rain.

I replaced them with Michelin all season run flats marketed as A/S ZP (zero pressure). These were much quieter in city and highway driving. On the same roads as I drove the original equipment GYs, the Michelins simply rolled over tar strips and road imperfections. They were much better in rain and light snow.

I recently bought a C6 with the base suspension which comes with third generation GY run flats. These are not the supercar tires of the Z51 suspension package.

To compare the three tires qualitatively, I felt the Michelins were very, very much better than the original C5 GYs. I feel the C6 original equipment GYs are still better than the Michelins in all respects mentioned above.

For me, I see no reason to replace the C6 GY tires with Michelin ZP or any tire -- non-run flat or not.

Your problem may be caused by an out-of-round condition, defective build process, or anything, but it should be identifiable by a dealer's good Vette mechanic.

I would find another dealer to review your description of the problems and see what its resident Vette expert thinks.

Very much analysis and effort has been put into designing the C6 and its new (third generation GY run flats). Your problem is obviously specific to your C6 and not evident in the vast majority of C6. GM should be able to rectify your situation to your satisfaction.

Well said. I agree!! :beer

I have 2 C6's. No vibration problems with either one. I've never had run-flats on anything before, but I do think there is excessive road noise with these tires.

I would keep taking back to the dealer until the problem is resolved.

Hecox

Welcome to the :CAC, baddawg!

Have you offered to take the dealer out in the car so they can hear it themselves? My non-vette daily driver a few years back had a condition code that only reappeared after I left the dealer each time. Turns out, the code would trip after I hit like 68mph. My point is that you might need to take them for a ride and say, "Listen! Do you hear it now? The problem is still not fixed."
Unfortunately, the downside of this is that it's almost an invitation for them to joyride in your car to see if they've fixed the problem. "Yeah, just don't take the car past 65mph." :eyerole
Additionally, the dealership I was taking my car to at one point said that they wouldn't drive the car above the posted speed limit, so they weren't responsible for anything that happens beyond that point. Hopefully, that lame excuse won't be presented to you.

I have 2 C6's. No vibration problems with either one. I've never had run-flats on anything before, but I do think there is excessive road noise with these tires.
Had a ride in a 2006 Z lately?:W

Just got my '07 C6 back from another service call for this elusive vibration. This time, the dealer replaced the front right rim. The rim (without tire) was run on road force which called for 2.5 oz. on the out side. Apparantly, this is beyond spec and they replaced the rim. Based on my drive home, the problem is still there. It is not a very bad vibration, but I notice it. This repetative service is getting old...

Thanks for all your help!

HI there,
The course of action that should have been taken is a vibration analysis using an EVA2, which is a GM special tool that is requirement for all dealers.
Using this tool, you can find the frequency and the strength of the vibration and correctly diagnose the problem instead of changing parts.
There are no TSBs for your condition.
Allthebest, c4c5

HI there,
The course of action that should have been taken is a vibration analysis using an EVA2, which is a GM special tool that is requirement for all dealers.
Using this tool, you can find the frequency and the strength of the vibration and correctly diagnose the problem instead of changing parts.
Allthebest, c4c5
A bittersweet return(?). Glad to see you "back", Paul!

:upthumbs

HI there,
Allthebest, c4c5

Paul!

Nice to "see" you again!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom