Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rare 1973 option

What is the production number of your '73?

Did the wheels come on it or did you get them after market?

:w

I checked with a NCRS judge and this was the reply: "NCRS has documented through Chevrolet that no Corvettes went to retail with those wheels, and the four cars that were built with them weren't retailed anyway - they were company cars for the Engineering fleet."

I guess unless an original build sheet and bill of sale can be provided by the first owner, it's gonna be mighty hard to get 100% verification. Things have been known to slip through only to show up years later, but the evidence from NCRS seems rather conclusive for the time being.

In the second/middle picture...was that middle part of the front grill the one that made it to production?
I don't 100% believe that those are pictures from the factory or of a factory car. (Not that it was stated that it is such.) The lug nuts look correct from what can be seen, but the way the hood lines up is terrible! Makes me think it's had work done to it...among other things, possibly having aftermarket rims.
;shrug

In the second/middle picture...was that middle part of the front grill the one that made it to production?
I don't 100% believe that those are pictures from the factory or of a factory car. (Not that it was stated that it is such.) The lug nuts look correct from what can be seen, but the way the hood lines up is terrible! Makes me think it's had work done to it...among other things, possibly having aftermarket rims.
;shrug
As I understand it, the middle grill was an "either/or" option for those states with no front licence plate requirement. Mine has the licence plate holder. I have a promotional picture of a 73 with the same wheels as those in the pictures. Fit and finish wasn't as good back then as now. That's about as good as the hood lines got.

From what I've read, if 1973yj8owner's wheels are originals, I hope he doesn't have them on his car. GM discontinued the YJ8 option for a reason: the manufacturer hadn't worked out how to make the aluminum non-porous and stable enough to remain structurally sound despite exposure to the elements.
In other words, they leaked air and they were brittle. :ugh

-Mac

Fit and finish wasn't as good back then as now. That's about as good as the hood lines got.
Really?!? :eek I knew it wasn't as good back then, but... wow...

I checked with a NCRS judge and this was the reply: "NCRS has documented through Chevrolet that no Corvettes went to retail with those wheels, and the four cars that were built with them weren't retailed anyway - they were company cars for the Engineering fleet."

Yup- that's always been the official NCRS stand on these wheels. That's why I'm so surprised to hear about a set surfacing.

I expect to be judging the '73-74 class at the upcoming National meet in Boston, (not sure which years John is judging this year, probably '67) and would very much like to see this car with the YJ8 wheels.

Contrary to some particular experiences, NCRS is very open to making updates to the judging manuals. There is a specific process, and it takes a lot more than just sending an email. I'd be glad to undertake the effort of putting this one forward. :beer

As I understand it, the middle grill was an "either/or" option for those states with no front licence plate requirement.

That's correct. My car was originally delivered in Ontario, which is still a two plate province. I 'updated' it to the single plate configuration shortly after buying it here in Quebec.

Those front grills are very hard to find, and not surprisingly are $$$ when they do pop up. Very late '73s may also have the '74 style grills (no chrome leading edge) also.

I found one thru the web for $200....:w

3-10-07163.jpg

they were purchased during the 1973 model year from a chevrolet dealer's parts department

I have one of the original shipping boxes. It has a black stamp shipped from American Racing to GM and the original blue and white GM parts number sticker 329381.

Each wheel has 329381, the letters xm and date of manufacture cast on the reverse side. The dates of manufacture are different for each wheel, 101172, 101772, 102572 and 102672.

The wheels have held air.

In January 2007, I sent photos of the wheels to two people at NCRS. One is the 1973-77 judging expert the other the person who wrote an article about 1973 yj8's for NCRS.

I joined NCRS in the last year. I am a lifetime member of the Corvette Club that is sponsored by the dealer who sold the wheels.

YJ8's

Here's is the picture of the Oct/Nov 72 Corvette News. The yellow Corvette was the feature with the YJ8's. Someone has this car.
Anybody have any information about it, please contact me. Also if any members remember the TV show the "Magician" with Bill Bixby, he drove a 73 and 74 Corvette, in some early shows and both Corvettes had the YJ8 wheels. Late shows with the "same" 74 Corvette didn't have the YJ8's on it. Love to see someone who has the shows on tape. I even contacted the sudio back then inquiring about the Corvettes. Someone has those Corvette's too.
There was a later edition of Corvette News with a big article about how the wheels were made in Mexico, lots of pictures. Great article.The originals (ones that never came out in 73) were made by American Racing here in the USA.. Just got to do some more digging to find it. Anybody remember what month Corvette News it was ??

Zora with prototype Corvette

Here's another picture of Zora at the AZ Proving Grounds in 1974 standing by a prototype 75,76 Corvette. Wish you could see the hatchback (where's that Corvette ?) option the Corvette had. The back window looked like a 1978 Corvette. Sent the original to GM, but found the copy I saved. The original was sent to GM by the parts guy (Marion) at the Chevrolet Dealer asking about the wheels. I tried real hard to get a set back in the 70's. Save the Wave. Let's find these Corvettes with the YJ8's.>George

I don't think they ever went out the door. No one has ever seen or documented seeing them. I remember seeing the promo of them but they were never offered. I think they would have surfaced by now. There must be a 73 fanatic that's tried to hunt them down.

ME ! LOL

early 73's with YJ8's

Kid,
That's John Greenwood with Zora. Great Pic's. Love those YJ8's. WOW ! Thanks.>George

Corvette News Feb/March 76

Found the issue. Made in Mexico by Kelsey-Hayes

this is getting really interesting

hi i originally posted this because i read it from the 2007 corvette black book, did not realize it would be this interesting, i wonder how many more are out there, regards wayne.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom