Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rare 1973 option

Wayne robson

Corvette
sold my last corvette.
Hello fellow corvette owners, most of you probably know that only four sets of YJ8 cast aluminum wheels were offered,early in production but sales records show chevrolet rejected the wheels for porosity problems and recalled the wheels that had been released.Rumors placed the number of wheels produced at 800 sets. some wheels are definitely in private hands, but the actual number remaining is unknown. the casting number on these rare wheels was 329381. Lug nuts had a recessed center area painted black and where unique to this corvette application , check this out you may have a set and dont realize it, regards, Wayne down under.

I've read that only four sets of the big wheels were known to been installed on '73s. Actual documentation isn't clear on exactly how many sets might have gotten out of St. Louis before they pulled the rug on them.

:)

I don't think that any of the supposed four cars have ever been seen and documented- with or without the optional wheels.

Anybody know of anybody that has actually seen any of these wheels other than in pictures?

I've never even seen a picture.
I'm trying to imagine what you're talking about, but could you go ahead and post a pic?

Thanks!!

I checked M. F. Dobbins' 73-77 Corvette Fact Book last night. He says four sets of the big wheels were installed on '73s and NONE were sold to the public. I am assuming these four sets were on pilot line cars and probably were sent to Warren for evaluation and testing. These cars were not supposed to have been sold to the public when the crew at Warren were finished with them, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The Dobbins' book has a preproduction photo of a '73 with the wheels.

I checked M. F. Dobbins' 73-77 Corvette Fact Book last night. He says four sets of the big wheels were installed on '73s and NONE were sold to the public. I am assuming these four sets were on pilot line cars and probably were sent to Warren for evaluation and testing. These cars were not supposed to have been sold to the public when the crew at Warren were finished with them, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The Dobbins' book has a preproduction photo of a '73 with the wheels.

I don't think they ever went out the door. No one has ever seen or documented seeing them. I remember seeing the promo of them but they were never offered. I think they would have surfaced by now. There must be a 73 fanatic that's tried to hunt them down.

I don't think they ever went out the door. No one has ever seen or documented seeing them. I remember seeing the promo of them but they were never offered. I think they would have surfaced by now. There must be a 73 fanatic that's tried to hunt them down.

If memory serves, I think I read a story in Corvette Restorer of a '73 owner with a set of the big wheels. If so, his set is likely to have been one of the four on the pilot line cars.

As well, don't most pilot cars end up in the crusher? I seem to recall that when 6-Shooter brought an pre-prod C6-Z06 to CruiseFest last year, he said it was destined for the crusher.

Didnt these become the normal wheel of the later C-3's?

Zora's 74 BB in the NCM has them on it and I dont think they came on them in 74 either......but Im probably off.:cool

Heres a shot of the wheel on Zora's from the NCM.

13068Kings_Island_NCM_Abby2_029.jpg

~Chas

Didnt these become the normal wheel of the later C-3's?

Zora's 74 BB in the NCM has them on it and I dont think they came on them in 74 either......but Im probably off.:cool

Heres a shot of the wheel on Zora's from the NCM.
I believe that's them, based on the lugnuts. Also, when we were getting the private tour of the NCM during CrusieFest, I was the one that pointed out that the car didn't have "factory options" for being a '74. But then, that's just some of the perks you get when your name is Zora Duntov! :)

I believe that's them, based on the lugnuts. Also, when we were getting the private tour of the NCM during CrusieFest, I was the one that pointed out that the car didn't have "factory options" for being a '74. But then, that's just some of the perks you get when your name is Zora Duntov! :)

I thought it was funny that they had locks on them.....;)

...don't most pilot cars end up in the crusher? I seem to recall that when 6-Shooter brought an pre-prod C6-Z06 to CruiseFest last year, he said it was destined for the crusher.

I've heard they are not supposed to be sold to the public due to liability concerns, but stranger things have happened.

Not surprised to see the locks on Zora's wheels. He and Elfi also had a 72 Chevelle Malibu with those wheels. Elfi recalls the story of the time when she and Zora returned home from a trip and the wheels had been stolen from the Malibu. Right in their driveway !

1973 YJ8 WHEELS

I HAVE A SET OF THE WHEELS, THE METAL IS DARKER THAN THE KELSEY HAYES WHEELS, THE PART NUMBER IS CAST ON THE REVERSE SIDE, THE LETTERS XM ARE ON THE REVERSE SIDE AND THE DATES OF MANUFACTURE ARE CAST ON THE REVERSE SIDE. THE LUG NUTS HAVE THE BLACK INSERTS. EACH OF MY 4 WHEELS WAS MANUFACTURED IN OCTOBER 1972, EACH ON A DIFFERENT DATE. FOR DECADES I TOLD PEOPLE I HAD THEM SHOWED THEM PHOTOS NOBODY CARED. WHY NOW ARE PEOPLE INTERESTED IN THEM. THE NCRS PEOPLE DO NOT SEEM TO CARE THAT I HAVE THEM AND NEITHER DID THE CORVETTE MUSEUM.

1973yj8owner, welcome to the :CAC

I see that you are new member. Is it coincidence that this topic just happen to come up and you appeared? Or did you hear about this thread from someone/somewhere and decided to join in the conversation?

Either way... Welcome! Be sure to stop by the New Members forum and introduce yourself! :beer

If you have some close up pics of the rims, I know a few of us would really like to see 'em!
I think one of two of our regular members are NCRS judges. They might be able to give you some clue as to NCRS judging if you are interested.

I HAVE A SET OF THE WHEELS, THE METAL IS DARKER THAN THE KELSEY HAYES WHEELS, THE PART NUMBER IS CAST ON THE REVERSE SIDE, THE LETTERS XM ARE ON THE REVERSE SIDE AND THE DATES OF MANUFACTURE ARE CAST ON THE REVERSE SIDE. THE LUG NUTS HAVE THE BLACK INSERTS. EACH OF MY 4 WHEELS WAS MANUFACTURED IN OCTOBER 1972, EACH ON A DIFFERENT DATE. FOR DECADES I TOLD PEOPLE I HAD THEM SHOWED THEM PHOTOS NOBODY CARED. WHY NOW ARE PEOPLE INTERESTED IN THEM. THE NCRS PEOPLE DO NOT SEEM TO CARE THAT I HAVE THEM AND NEITHER DID THE CORVETTE MUSEUM.

They're worthless, but I'll buy them from you for $50 a piece... :w :chuckle

Where did you get your set? Were they on a '73? Over the counter at Chevrolet? Swap meet?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom