Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires(Again)

muddywaters

Corvette
1988 white 4+3 coupe 99 Torch Red 6spd. coupe
Hi, I have a 99 w/less than 7500mi., tires look new, I'm second owner. The right front tire is feathering on the inside. Are the c5's tire eaters? I had a 5.0 Mustang that ate Gatorbacks and the alignment was within spec's, the 99 is going to the alignment shop on Tues.. Has anyone exprienced the same? Thanks

It could be a toe problem but you have to remember how old those tires are.
Are they feathering to the inside or outside. That gives a clue if it is toed in our out.

Glenn
:w

Both fronts on the inside.....The Chev. dealer is the last bunch to fool with this car, I have documentation on that. The frontend shop I took all my Vette's to will take a look on Tues., Ledoretti's on R315. I've taken many cars to them, their the best as far as I'm conserned ,on alignments.

Both inside makes me think toe out or extreme camber. Do they still have the front leaf spring? I would be sure to check if the spring is broken.

Glenn
:w

Hi, I have a 99 w/less than 7500mi., tires look new, I'm second owner. The right front tire is feathering on the inside. Are the c5's tire eaters?
Yes!! When set at the factory settings C5's have a tendency to wear the inside of the front tires!!!This is because of the high Positive Caster Angle and Negative Camber!!This makes the car easier to handle at the speeds that it is capable to run (175 MPH +)!!!!:D:D I experimented with mine when I put the 1st set of tires on it and I still have 7/32 tread on them with twice as many miles!!:):) It steers allot easier in slow traffic and the tires are wearing even across,But it is a Handful at 140+!!!!:eek:hnoes:eek:hnoes I don't drive that fast very often so opted for good tire wear!! I set it up....................

Front :
Lt Front 6+ Caster, 0 Camber
Rt Front 6 1/4 + Caster,0 Camber
3/32 toe in
Rear :
LT. Rear 0 Camber
Rt. Rear 0 Camber
0 to 1/32 toe in

I run
34 lb front
32 lb rear

WARNING!!!These settings are NOT for you if you drive at speeds in excess of 135 MPH!!!!!!:eek:hnoes:eek:hnoes

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom