Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does a factory C4 Hard top fit any year?

Grizzly

Corvette
1967 Marlboro Maroon Coupe, 1992 White Convertible
I have the chance to buy a GM hard top from a '95 that I would like to put on my '92. Are they all the same?

$1500 seems like a good deal, what do you think? ................... Griz

I have the chance to buy a GM hard top from a '95 that I would like to put on my '92. Are they all the same?

Yes, the factory hard top from a '95 will fit the '92. The top should have the brackets that attach to the hard top and the pillars behind both doors with bolts. There are two sets of wrenches for the hard top, one is a torx for the windshield bolts and pillar bolts and the other is a closed end rachet wrench to attach the rear bolts that slide into the convertible top deck lid latches. The deck bolts must be tightened to secure the hard top, they just don't slide in like the convertible top's. The hard tops had wires on each side that connect to the window defroster. Your 92 may have the defroster button below the DIC that operates the hard top defroster. The top should attach without any difficulty or modifications.

Depending on the condition of the top, the price is acceptable if it is in really good condition. I have seen them go for a much higher price. If you don't get all of the wrenches, bolts, and brackets, the price is too high. If you have to have it painted, factor in another $500+.

Had a hard top on my '91 that came off a 90, and my 94 vert came from the factory with a hard top that is identical to the 90.

From what I have read, the factory hard tops were not installed by the factory, but by an outfit down the road that received the convertibles from the factory, installed the hard tops, and returned the cars to the factory.

Enjoy the hard top.

Barrett

Just FWIW, there is a cut off from the earlier vettes where the tops don't interchange with the later models. I'm thinking '87 or '88 is when the mounting locations changed. Maybe someone else could verify the correct year when they changed.

Just FWIW, there is a cut off from the earlier vettes where the tops don't interchange with the later models. I'm thinking '87 or '88 is when the mounting locations changed. Maybe someone else could verify the correct year when they changed.

I believe the OP is talking about the convertible hardtop (RPO CC2). This top was first available in 89 and the tosp are the same thru 1996. GM did have a retrofit kit to install the 'vert hardtop onto the 86-88 convertibles, but those kits are very hard to find now and thwy would have to come off donor cars.

The coupe targa tops did have differences in the locations of the encapsulated bolts in the windshield header. I believe there were 3 differents setups. 84-E86, L86 to 88, and 89-96.

As far as the price, I think it's a bit high unless the weatherstripping is like brand-new (check out the cost of replacement hardtop weatherstripping :eek ) and you get the tools, the decklid protector, and the top is already the same color as the car it's going on. If the top has to be re-painted to match, figure on $400-500 extra for that alone.

The hardtop defogger will only work if the proper climate control head is in the 92. Verts that did not get the factory hardtop ordered with the car got a slightly different A/C controller and the ground wire for the defogger was not installed on the car. (no biggie to add a ground wire). The 92 owner's manual has a section on how the hardtop defogger is turned on along with a pic of the correct button.

The defogger hot lead is on all the 'verts; it's an orange 12 gauge wire located under the carpet just in front of the forward soft top frame hinge on the passenger side. A ground wire can easily be screwed to the driver's side shoulder belt attaching tower.

Red Vette is right about where the tops were made. American Sunroof Company in Bowling Green had the GM contract to make them. The plant is only a couple miles from the Assembly Plant. Finished 'verts were delivered there so the tops could be installed and the door windows adjusted for both tops and then the cars were returned to the Assembly Plant for final finishing.

Hope I'm not too late... $1500 is a terrible price unless it is a museum piece that has never been installed and you plan to keep it that way.

One that you would actually want to put on your car will usually run $500-1000.

I paid $600 for mine which included the hard to find parcel shelf pad. I could have had dozens of them in the $700-800 range during the time I looked.

The hardtop defogger will only work if the proper climate control head is in the 92. Verts that did not get the factory hardtop ordered with the car got a slightly different A/C controller and the ground wire for the defogger was not installed on the car. (no biggie to add a ground wire). The 92 owner's manual has a section on how the hardtop defogger is turned on along with a pic of the correct button.

The defogger hot lead is on all the 'verts; it's an orange 12 gauge wire located under the carpet just in front of the forward soft top frame hinge on the passenger side. A ground wire can easily be screwed to the driver's side shoulder belt attaching tower.

These differences you describe must be for the plastic-windowed verts.

The glass-windowed verts have a defogger with either top.

It should fit and there are people that modified their earlier verts to take a factory hard top. (Early ones don't have the mounts behind the seats for the roof. The decklid mount isn't the main mount for the hardtop.

Vic when were you looking it seemed that when I was looking for a roof for my factory CC2 car everyone was asking at least a grand for a hard top if it was in decent shape. (a previous owner must have ditched it I was lucky to find a top with matching paint believe it or not there are different color whites and the guy I bought mine from had an earlier vert so the top color did not match the arctic white used from 93-96)If the weatherstripping is shot, FREE is too much for the top because you can easily spend 1500 bucks or more on factory weatherstrip.

Mike

These differences you describe must be for the plastic-windowed verts.

The glass-windowed verts have a defogger with either top.

My 92 had a plastic window in the soft top and the orange hot wire was in place. It's easier to add the wire to the loom at the factory than to have to add a wire only when the hardtop was specified as an option. The ground wire was added by American Sunroof when the cars were delivered to them for the hardtop install.

With the later glass window in the soft top, the ground wire was in place for that so ASC didn't have to add one.

The early 'verts (L86 to 88) don't have the flat metal surface on the B-pillar and the location of the encapsulated bolts on the windshield pillars are not in the same spot. The latches in the decklid don't have the threaded nut at the bottom of the latch to take the encapsulated bolt in the hardtop locating pins.

There were some retrofit kits available but they are hard to find. eBay may be a good spot to try to find the kit. Without the kit or otherwise modifying the car, the hardtop will not fit.

Just to put a cap on the story, I bought the top. What I got for $1500 was a '95 Indy Pace Car top with the appropriate badging on the side, a cover, and a hoist to hang it from the ceiling. It's in perfect condition, was about 20 miles from home, and is white so no repainting will be needed.

Thanks for everyone's comments.....................Griz

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom