Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Undercarriage - dented, rough shape

LanceB

Corvette
Well still inspecting brothers 77 to get it road worthy. I noticed the front cross member and oil pan are dented up. Looks like someone bottomed out at some point. I am not too worried about the oil pan I am trying to prioritize the projects (trans rebuild coming soon), but the crossmember is a little concerning. I saw you could buy a new one for $141 in a catalog but I assume this means taking the entire car apart to replace. Could a body man just weld a formed piece of frame/steel over this, grind it, paint it, done? It isn't the original engine so being technically right on everything isn't a huge concern, just safety and getting it mechanically sound. Also curious about what oil pan to replace with since probably not the original L82 and I saw a couple of different types. ;help

I would stay away form imported stamped oil pans if you can help it. GM used or new would be my choice. The plate steel running across the bottom is not that heavy of steel and I am sure that by welding some threaded studs in the correct places and with a rose bud and a slide hammer and the correct attachment to connect to the welded studs one could heat and work the metal back in to shape again. I have see way to many people use this point of the cross member as a jacking point to raise the car off the ground, bad, bad idea.
Brian

there are specific jacking points on the corvettes,for both front and rear....
I suppose this is the reason why....I would try to find an original 350 or a good aftermarket replacement...
I think I would try your local junk yards first....

So I guess if you had to prioritize the dented up crossmember, would it be a high priority or do you think it is necessarily hurting anything? I may get with my body guy before I have it is painted in the next year or so and have him reinforce it then.

Are you talking about the front crossover by the engine, or the transmission crossover? The transmission crossover in mine unbolts, so if that one needs replaced, it easy to find a used one. If the front one is damaged, it would require cuttining the frame and replacing a section. If the area on the bottom is damaged from jacking the car up like a lot of people have done, you could replace the sections with flat pieces and grind it down smooth. I've sen this done before, looked good when they did , but it was done during frame sandblasting.

Thanks for the insight guys! I think I will just tell my brother to deal with it when he gets a repaint. You guys are the best!

Yep, mine is pretty dented, was quite concerned, but not now.
I might straighten it and fill and paint, dont know yet.

Cheers

Richard

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom