Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need Serious Help!!! Please

A

Abel20

A few weeks back I purchased a 75 corvette. I drove the car to my house and it ran fine. The drive was about 2 hours. I went on a training exercise for the military for about two weeks and well I came back and my car wasn't starting. I tried turning it on and the engine cranked but it would stop and there was a sound as if something was hitting against it not letting the engine turn. I thought it was the fly wheel and I raised the car and had someone try to crank it but once again something around the flywheel seems to be hitting. I had my starter checked out and well it tested fine. To my bad luck this morning I walked to my car and the car had spilled out lots of transmission fluid through the pan. How can this happen as well. I already replaced the gasket and filter on the transmission but can someone please help me. Sorry for writing to much.

Seems odd that the car was fine when you left but has these problems upon your return. I have to ask if anyone was excercising it while you were gone.

Can you turn the engine over a full 360* freely by turning the flywheel or the front cranshaft bolt by hand or does something stop it from turning?

On the trans did you check to see if you can determine exactly where the ATF is running out from?

Tom

The car was not touched by anybody. I did try to turn the flywheel and it did spin and I couldn't hear anything. The leak came from the pan itself so my first thought was just a bad gasket but very unusual since it was just fine. Somebody mentioned a bad torque converter.

Are you sure the leak is from the pan? Sounds like your leak could be a bad front seal, especially if the car sat for a long time before you purchased it.

:)

Are you sure the leak is from the pan? Sounds like your leak could be a bad front seal, especially if the car sat for a long time before you purchased it.

:)
Almost All GM Automatics with any age will leak from the dipstick tube O-ring after 1-4 weeks!!! I've seen people pull trannys and Drop Pan's and still not fix the leak!!! When a $.35 O-ring and a Hour will fix it!!!:upthumbs

Guys, you think it's possible that he's sheared off a torque converter bolt? Or that one has worked it self free and is banging on the flex plate? If his tq converter is shot, he could be leaking trans fluid from there. Or maybe there's a problem with the flex plate?

:confused

Guys, you think it's possible that he's sheared off a torque converter bolt? Or that one has worked it self free and is banging on the flex plate? If his tq converter is shot, he could be leaking trans fluid from there. Or maybe there's a problem with the flex plate?

:confused
Ya Know, I had a Pump bolt back out once and caused this same type problem!!:upthumbs

the torque converter itself will not leak, usually its the front seal. A slipping belt would make a grinding sound, and could cause the converter to "lock up" thus not letting the starter turn fast enough to get the engine to start. Ive seen it happen before, and it makes a HORRIBLE grinding sound. Also, a loose converter bolt might cause a grinding sound because the head would be rubbing up against the block and inspection cover, but i dont think that would keep an engine from starting.
best wishes
zachh

I am not sure if you have points or not but I had a similar situation in my 66 and it turned out that the points had fused together. I dressed the points with a point file and the car started and ran well after that.\

Gary

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom