Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headers???

sci68

Corvette
2002 Chevy Corvette Convertible, Pewter
Getting the "itch" to install headers on my 2002 C5. Already have corsa sport exhaust w/ x-pipe so just looking for headers and hi-performance cats.
  1. Does brand make a difference (kooks, american racing, LG)? Ditto for cats.
  2. Do I go with long tube?
Suggestions/advice appreciated. Willing to spend if it makes a real difference in HP gain, sound is a close second. Also want it to be emission compliant (registered in NYS).

Also, any suggestions on air induction? Read up on Veraram induction and its design of using the fog lamps for air induction. Anyone have these installed? Notice any HP gains?

Thanks and peace. :w

Sci68,

I can't help you with your question but I wanted to say hi and welcome you to the site. Hopefully someone with more experience in this area will come along soon.

:wJane Ann

Jane - Thanks for the welcome. I will post this again and see what comes out of it. The folks at CAC are preety knowledgeable about this and since I am not.....

The short headers will not give you much in performance boost, defenitly go with long tubes. Be carefull of the state laws, in NY they might be illegal for street use. Or just befriend an inspection mechanic;). Any hi-flow cat will be great improvement over stock. The reason long tubes are illegal in most states is that they relocate the cat's (further back) and it takes little longer to get them up to efective temperature. To get the full potential from the exoust don't forget to improve the intake and make sure to follow up with a good tune, dyno is best. The Vararam will not show great hp increase on the dyno but will make big differance at speed, 65mph+. The intake+ long tubes+ your exoust will make a noticable improvement when combined together, but changing the tune will be very important to take the adventage of that package. Good luck, ZIG.

The short headers will not give you much in performance boost, defenitly go with long tubes. Be carefull of the state laws, in NY they might be illegal for street use. Or just befriend an inspection mechanic;). Any hi-flow cat will be great improvement over stock. The reason long tubes are illegal in most states is that they relocate the cat's (further back) and it takes little longer to get them up to efective temperature. To get the full potential from the exoust don't forget to improve the intake and make sure to follow up with a good tune, dyno is best. The Vararam will not show great hp increase on the dyno but will make big differance at speed, 65mph+. The intake+ long tubes+ your exoust will make a noticable improvement when combined together, but changing the tune will be very important to take the adventage of that package. Good luck, ZIG.

Thanks ZIG, that's helpful. I am having my GMC inspected soon so I will ask the service advisor whether long tubes/hi-flo cats are compliant with emission laws in NYS.

:w

sci68,
In my humble opinion, putting full length headers on your C5 is by far the most rewarding performance mod that you can do.
If you mean you have the Corsa Indies exhaust on your vette married to the x-pipe, the headers with hi-flo cats will really wake up your car.
I agree with Zagger. You should have the car dyno tuned.
That is the only way you will be sure to maximize the performance from your mods.
I have an '01 with the Corsa Indies, X-pipe, fl headers, hi flo cats, and a Halltech intake.
I had just the intake and Corsas on first and was not happy with the sound at idle.
The addition of the headers, X-pipe, and hi-flo cats really changed the exhaust sound. It is beautiful at idle...a much deeper throatier sound.
At wot, it is amazing! While crusing though it is still very quiet. The "music" becomes more pronounced when the tach goes past 2400rpms.
After you add the headers and intake, you should really get it dyno tuned.
I had a program called "LS1 Edit" done.
My base dyno results (stock car) were 296 rwhp/314rwt
After my corrections :D 335 rwhp/343/rwt

Best of luck to you,
Pedro

Getting the "itch" to install headers on my 2002 C5. Already have corsa sport exhaust w/ x-pipe so just looking for headers and hi-performance cats.
  1. Does brand make a difference (kooks, american racing, LG)? Ditto for cats.
  2. Do I go with long tube?
Suggestions/advice appreciated. Willing to spend if it makes a real difference in HP gain, sound is a close second. Also want it to be emission compliant (registered in NYS).

Also, any suggestions on air induction? Read up on Veraram induction and its design of using the fog lamps for air induction. Anyone have these installed? Notice any HP gains?

Thanks and peace. :w

sci68,
In my humble opinion, putting full length headers on your C5 is by far the most rewarding performance mod that you can do.
If you mean you have the Corsa Indies exhaust on your vette married to the x-pipe, the headers with hi-flo cats will really wake up your car.
I agree with Zagger. You should have the car dyno tuned.
That is the only way you will be sure to maximize the performance from your mods.
I have an '01 with the Corsa Indies, X-pipe, fl headers, hi flo cats, and a Halltech intake.
I had just the intake and Corsas on first and was not happy with the sound at idle.
The addition of the headers, X-pipe, and hi-flo cats really changed the exhaust sound. It is beautiful at idle...a much deeper throatier sound.
At wot, it is amazing! While crusing though it is still very quiet. The "music" becomes more pronounced when the tach goes past 2400rpms.
After you add the headers and intake, you should really get it dyno tuned.
I had a program called "LS1 Edit" done.
My base dyno results (stock car) were 296 rwhp/314rwt
After my corrections :D 335 rwhp/343/rwt

Best of luck to you,
Pedro

Pedro, thanks for the reply and info. I checked my records and I have the Pace Car Edition exhaust, not the sport. What headers do you have on the car?

The HP gains you have are impressive...:) :lou

Pedro, thanks for the reply and info. I checked my records and I have the Pace Car Edition exhaust, not the sport. What headers do you have on the car?

The HP gains you have are impressive...:) :lou
The Pace car (or Indy ) exhaust is the more aggressive exhaust.
The Touring is a hair louder than stock.
The headers I have are from FLP.
They included an x pipe and high - flow cats and were completely bolt-on. FLP was one of the first manufacturers to make bolt
on (no welding) headers for the C5 years ago.
They were very popular years ago when they first came out.
Since then several manufacturers have followed suit and there are some really nice headers to choose from.
Actually, I have seen people get better gains from similar mods, but I am quite happy with my baby the way she is now. I bought her brand new in 2000 with 3 miles on the ticker and today she is resting in my garage with 55k miles....all pleasure!

Again, headers are a mod you will thoroughly enjoy!! :)
Do it!

Pedro

The Pace car (or Indy ) exhaust is the more aggressive exhaust.
The Touring is a hair louder than stock.
The headers I have are from FLP.
They included an x pipe and high - flow cats and were completely bolt-on. FLP was one of the first manufacturers to make bolt
on (no welding) headers for the C5 years ago.
They were very popular years ago when they first came out.
Since then several manufacturers have followed suit and there are some really nice headers to choose from.
Actually, I have seen people get better gains from similar mods, but I am quite happy with my baby the way she is now. I bought her brand new in 2000 with 3 miles on the ticker and today she is resting in my garage with 55k miles....all pleasure!

Again, headers are a mod you will thoroughly enjoy!! :)
Do it!

Pedro

Thanks Pedro, will be doing it soon. I bought my C5 a few months ago, have 7,500 miles. this is my third corvette, the other two were C4 (1992, 1995).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom