Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Steering gone wild

S

striknine

I replaced my power steering fluid 2 months ago on my '85. Upon completion the steering wheel would not turn smoothly. When I am driving the steering wheel will turn to a certain point then quickly jerk causing me to over steer at some points. When I am at a stop light, I can't turn the steering wheel until I accelerate a little at which point the power steering kicks in. I dont know what the problem is and I will be replacing the following items if necessary:

Rack and pinion - re-manufactured
Power steering pump re-manufactured
All hoses assiciated with P/S
Suspension rebuild kit (tie rod ends & upper/lower ball joints)

Has anyone had a problem like this one and what part(s) were replaced to correct this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Put a bottle of Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak and Conditioner in it!!! Bet you'll see a Big,Big difference in less than 10 miles!!!:upthumbs

try turning your steering wheel lock to lock several times, holding at each extreme for a few seconds... it may have air in the system.

try turning your steering wheel lock to lock several times, holding at each extreme for a few seconds... it may have air in the system.

When I turn the wheel as far as it will go I can hear the P/S pump hissing.
But I did bleed the air while doing so. I'll go and get a bottle of the Lucas P/S and try that before ordering replacement parts and let you know how things are going. Thanks for the replys

I'll go and get a bottle of the Lucas P/S and try that before ordering replacement parts and let you know how things are going. Thanks for the replys
Empty about a pint out and add the whole bottle, when I'm servicing bumper to bumper for resale I usually change the fluid and add 1/2 bottle for preventive maintenance!!! Lucas products are great, it will free up a Sticky Steering Rack almost Immediately!!!:upthumbs :cool:cool:cool

Listen to Junk! He knows his stuff and won't STEER you wrong.

Lucas will also stop most PS leaks very quickly. I had a leak in my Dodge PU and one pint of Lucas stopped it for good. Its been almost two years since I've had to add any fluid.

:pat
:w

Listen to Junk! He knows his stuff and won't STEER you wrong.

Lucas will also stop most PS leaks very quickly. I had a leak in my Dodge PU and one pint of Lucas stopped it for good. Its been almost two years since I've had to add any fluid.

:pat
:w
Damn Hrtbeat1,I almost forgot you!!;shrug;shrugI'll get the Spec.Sheet out today!!!:upthumbs:beer

Well I went and picked up a bottle of the Lucas P/S stuff, Removed all that was in the reservoir and replaced the fluid. Looked very thick as I was pouring it in. Filled it up to the appropriate level and purged the air out by turning the wheel back and forth until no bubbles. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Works like it should. I drove to work this morning and all problems are gone..... Thanks Junk you just saved me over $600.00 Now I can get a new exhaust system and hopefully throw some block huggers on there too. Question is why did this happen and how did the Lucas product save me all this money?:D

Well I went and picked up a bottle of the Lucas P/S stuff, Removed all that was in the reservoir and replaced the fluid. Looked very thick as I was pouring it in. Filled it up to the appropriate level and purged the air out by turning the wheel back and forth until no bubbles. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Works like it should. I drove to work this morning and all problems are gone..... Thanks Junk you just saved me over $600.00 Now I can get a new exhaust system and hopefully throw some block huggers on there too. Question is why did this happen and how did the Lucas product save me all this money?:D
It has cleaners and rejuvenater's in it!!! It cleans all the sticking valves and softens the seals in the Pump and Rack!!:upthumbs It's Good Sh*t Maynord!!:cool:cool:cool

PS. I like to Flush the system in a couple months with fresh fluid and put 1/2 bottle in it and you'll OK for Years and Miles of Smiles!!:D:D:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom