Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Grand Sport For Sale - Buyer Beware

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
This was sent to me:

Seems Ebay item # 260146105871 is a nice Grand Sport, low miles, convertible,
$38K to start.

For Sale by ProTeam

Buyer Beware: this car was not a red interior Grand Sport from the factory. It
was black which isn't hard to verity, just look at the build sheet ProTeam
includes in their pictures. Interior: BLK

That was my Grand Sport. Pro-Team was well aware that this was originally a black interior GS, that the interior had been changed to red by the owner (me).

Elaine

"Like new! One of 190 Grand Sport convertibles produced!" hmmm, yea, it does appear they are making it sound like it's an original lol. that's a shame that a speciality dealer like this would stoop to deception.

I think for the most part Corvette owners (or prospective buyers) are generally pretty savy regarding rarity, or smart enough to bring along technical knowledge before a purchase of this value. Sadly too many of these specialty dealers often step over the ethical line; and some WAY over the line in their zest to sell a car. I've seen this happen much more in the muscle car market than in the Corvette market per se because of the scarsity of factory documentation to verify their claims of "original".

Elaine: everyone would love to know what they told you (if printable).

......... nut

"Like new! One of 190 Grand Sport convertibles produced!" hmmm, yea, it does appear they are making it sound like it's an original lol. that's a shame that a speciality dealer like this would stoop to deception.

Actually, this part of their advertising is very true. It is like new and is one of the 190 GS convertibles produced. However, of that 190 convertibles made, 53 were red interiors, 147 were black. Mine was one of the black interiors.

Elaine

Actually, this part of their advertising is true. It is like new and is one of the 190 GS convertibles produced. However, of that 190 convertibles made, 53 were red interiors, 147 were black. Mine was one of the black interiors.

Elaine

Aah ok, I wasn't aware there were 2 different color options for the interior! thanks for the clarification, still a shame though:(

The sad thing about this is that I’m sure ProTeam knows that they have it listed as they do. It easier to soil a reputation than it is to build a good name. ProTeam needs to change their wording. It’s misleading to a less infromed Corvette buyer, period.

B17Crew
:w

YEP - It's a Red Interior White Top Grand Sport Roadster...

2003127867766890111_rs.jpg

2003172404920442115_rs.jpg

L8TR - D​

Elaine.... didn't you have chrome rims on it at one time? You still have them? Until I saw those pics I'd forgotten just how impressive that paint job is on that car.

........ nut

Elaine.... didn't you have chrome rims on it at one time? You still have them? Until I saw those pics I'd forgotten just how impressive that paint job is on that car.

........ nut

Hi Bob,

Yes, the GS had chrome wheels, but I had kept the original black ones (naturally) so they went with the car.

Elaine

Hi Bob,

Yes, the GS had chrome wheels, but I had kept the original black ones (naturally) so they went with the car.

Elaine

Too bad. They probably would have advertised it as having one of a kind chrome rims too. :D

I love the expression they use: "Looks like the real deal". WTH is that? Either it is.....or it isn't. Amazing (sic) :eyerole

Doesn't the build sheet state which interior was included. If so then it would have to be a forged document if it states Red interior, which I think is fraud.

Doesn't the build sheet state which interior was included. If so then it would have to be a forged document if it states Red interior, which I think is fraud.

You're right the build sheet does indicate the interior color. Problem is, the pic included with the ebay listing is so small you have to enlarge it big time. And even then the print is so out of focus, if you didn't know exactly where to look you wouldn't know the BLK indicated, meant "interior".

ProTeam does have a 48 hour (I think) satisfaction/inspection period.

Also anyone familiar with a GS will see the interior, although Red, is incorrect. It is what Elaine wanted at the time, but the carpet should NOT be red - it should have remained black.
Calling the interior of a GS Red is misleading - it's actually red/black like a C5.

Mo

Yesterday I asked Rob to post the "GS ON EBAY - BUYER BEWARE" . The problem involved a "non original" red interior and the way ProTeam was advertising the car on Ebay Item # 260146105871.
I've been in touch with a friend and salesperson at ProTeam and explained the concerns of the Corvette enthusiast with the Ebay listing. ProTeam responded quickly and with concern.
I have mentioned before that they DO offer a 48 hour (?) inspection/satisfaction refund. I'm glad they took interest in our concern.

This is part of an email they sent to me:

Mo

(quote from ProTeam):
"Terry has requested that the ebaY listing be updated to “This is an original factory color combination although this car was produced with the more popular black interior (1 of only 137)” He has also updated the Pro Team website and the future catalog. Please note Pro Team lists their Corvette inventory on Ebay and website with a money back guarantee. People can bid with confidence."

Yesterday I asked Rob to post the "GS ON EBAY - BUYER BEWARE" . The problem involved a "non original" red interior and the way ProTeam was advertising the car on Ebay Item # 260146105871.
I've been in touch with a friend and salesperson at ProTeam and explained the concerns of the Corvette enthusiast with the Ebay listing. ProTeam responded quickly and with concern.
I have mentioned before that they DO offer a 48 hour (?) inspection/satisfaction refund. I'm glad they took interest in our concern.

This is part of an email they sent to me:

Mo

(quote from ProTeam):
"Terry has requested that the ebaY listing be updated to “This is an original factory color combination although this car was produced with the more popular black interior (1 of only 137)” He has also updated the Pro Team website and the future catalog. Please note Pro Team lists their Corvette inventory on Ebay and website with a money back guarantee. People can bid with confidence."

Glad to hear they took care of it. :upthumbs

B17Crew
:w

I'll give them credit; the website listing was fixed too albeit still worded a little clumsy.

You're right the build sheet does indicate the interior color. Problem is, the pic included with the ebay listing is so small you have to enlarge it big time. And even then the print is so out of focus, if you didn't know exactly where to look you wouldn't know the BLK indicated, meant "interior".

ProTeam does have a 48 hour (I think) satisfaction/inspection period.

Also anyone familiar with a GS will see the interior, although Red, is incorrect. It is what Elaine wanted at the time, but the carpet should NOT be red - it should have remained black.
Calling the interior of a GS Red is misleading - it's actually red/black like a C5.

Mo
I just went into http://www.proteam-corvette.com/cars/265Y.htm. It spells out clearly the interior situation. I have done business with this guy during each of his previous biz reincarnations and overall, trust him!

Elaine,

It sure didn't take "Terry's wife" long to "get tired" of your old GS!!!:rotfl

DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!:This is NOT a disrespectiful jab at Elaine OR her GS, by the way.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom