Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Flex-fit vs reg fiberglass?

Jim B

Corvette
1974 L82 Grey coupe
I was ondering about everyones thoughts on the two types for a front bumper. Quality, and very important is ease of installation.
Thanks, Jim

I replaced mine with fiberglass units from ACI.

I'd heard a few bad install stories from posters on tru-flex covers, but those were mostly from first-timers.

I think both fiberglass (buy from a reputable manufacturer) and tru-flex units are OK as are the GM urethane covers they are making now. The old urethane was subject to waviness when exposed to temperature changes.

My fiberglass covers went on after a lot of trial and error and by using the new style retainers. I went with the glass covers because I wanted to mold them into the quarter panels and fenders. (Filling in the seam between them.)

I found the easiest way to do the install was working from the center line out. I lined up the center line of the cover with the centerline of the hood, marked, drilled and worked to the outside from there. You can use a similar plan in the back by extending a (imaginary) line from the center of the fuel fill opening.

0703007.jpg

0703001.jpg

kdlp

I used the tru-flex on my vette when the body was redone several years ago...just a matter of trial and error to get them to fit.Just bear in mind,you need to be much more careful as they do not take hits all that well!!!!!!

Hey guys, thanks for your input. I'm looking for even more opinions also. The more the better! thanks

I was ondering about everyones thoughts on the two types for a front bumper. Quality, and very important is ease of installation.
Thanks, Jim

I'm going to just fork over the cash for urethane when the time comes for a new rear bumper.

I went seamless on my last C3. I liked it, but as Bill said- it doesn't take hits well!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom