Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Good Glue for Rear Glass Rubber Weatherstrip Repair and Silicon Grease ?

pgtr

Corvette
96Cpe
Rear Hatch Rubber Seal: I've noticed a split on both sides in the corners where theres a 90 deg turn between the horizontal run and vertical pillar run of the rubber glass seal. It appears that as the glass was closing over time, it 'pushed' the seal downwards and over time a clean tear has formed right at the 90deg turn... It looks like 2 separate pieces of stripping that mate w/ clean 45deg cuts. When the hatch closes it tends to push the vertical strip away from the edge creating a small gap right in the corner.

Q: Any suggestions for a high quality flexible adhesive or glue that could bring the horizontal and vertical runs of the rubber seal back together and HOLD under the stress of glass pulling against it. Or other possible solutions (short of the expense of a completely brand new gasket for the whole thing)

Q: GM recommends silicon grease for upkeep of rubber weather stripping like this. I'm guessing in this particular spot the silicon grease would have lubricated the glass hatch sliding over the corner which may have avoided the issue in the 1st place. Many in the detailing section don't care for silicon judging from the posts I've read there. Generally I don't either but I'm wondering if in cases like this with glass sliding or moving over rubber like the hatch and door glass - maybe the GM recommendation makes sense?

That's interesting that someone else had that same problem. I have not replaced the weather strip yet but will soon. Glad to here about the silicon grease to keep up the life of the rubber. I have replaced all the other weather stripping with 3M weather strip adhesive which the maintenance manual suggest doing. I notice that all the Vette catalogs offer both the silicon grease and the more expensive stuff called Krytox. I wonder just how good that stuff is for the price it is?

Well I'm only surmising the silicon grease would mitigate this issue. Silicon grease is not available at local auto parts store in quantity as far as I know. Just the tiny tubes for ignition wires. I think it's readily avail online mailorder.

A glue would need to be able to bond rubber to rubber which might be tricky - not to mention the flexing and compression of the glass... I would be happy if a glue could bond these corners together for say a year at a time even.

To keep your weatherstrip moist and supple, go to your local swimming pool supply store and buy a big tube of that Pool & Spa Lube.

It works great, is much cheaper than the dealer silicone grease and lasts a long time. :cool

lube.jpg

VERY Cool tip - appreciate that - I kept thinking there are cheaper sources than GM for silicon grease.

Now if I can just find a good rubber to rubber adhesive.

thanks again

HI there,
The reason that works so well, is the KRYTOX in the lubricant.
Actually, they realized after the 'silicone' disaster, that it breaks down the skin on the weatherstrip, leading to cracking. Now this is ONLY for the c4 design, as c5/c6 have a different composition of weatherstripping.
KRYTOX is what we were told to use back in 97, when all the c4s had the weatherstrip leakage and failures, and the c5 strips were so different.
Allthebest, c4c5

VERY Cool tip - appreciate that - I kept thinking there are cheaper sources than GM for silicon grease.

Now if I can just find a good rubber to rubber adhesive.

thanks again

Best I've found to date is that GE Gasket & Seal made especially for automotive applications. Find it at your local hardware or home improvement store for under $5.00.

GEsealant.jpg

HI there,
The reason that works so well, is the KRYTOX in the lubricant.
Actually, they realized after the 'silicone' disaster, that it breaks down the skin on the weatherstrip, leading to cracking. Now this is ONLY for the c4 design, as c5/c6 have a different composition of weatherstripping.
KRYTOX is what we were told to use back in 97, when all the c4s had the weatherstrip leakage and failures, and the c5 strips were so different.
Allthebest, c4c5

I'm confused. Which 'that' works so well? The Pool and Spa stuff or the GM stuff? Will either cause cracking on seals around the hatch or doors?

Any clarification would be appreciated

Thanks Onedef92! That looks EXACTLY like what I need!

I'm confused. Which 'that' works so well? The Pool and Spa stuff or the GM stuff? Will either cause cracking on seals around the hatch or doors?

Any clarification would be appreciated

The Pool & Spa Lube because of the Krytox lubricant it contains. At around $5, it's also cheaper than the dealer lube. And no, it won't cause drying or cracking of your weatherstrip.

A couple updates.

There are 2 Leslies stores in my immediate area so I stopped in and grabbed a tube. The current tube NO LONGER SAYS KRYTOX. It is still made by DuPont for Leslies. It may still have the Krytox stuff - it just no longer references it on their label. I bought some anyway.

---

The GE adhesive didn't work so well for me. After letting it sit for 24 hours as the directions stated - It didn't hold anything. The rubber just fell off of it's own weight! At least it was easy (too easy) to wipe off in a matter of minutes.

Other adhesive options I'll be trying include 3M molding adhesive, contact cement and various 'automotive' goop glues. Might even try some double sided molding adhesive too if nothing else...

A couple updates.

There are 2 Leslies stores in my immediate area so I stopped in and grabbed a tube. The current tube NO LONGER SAYS KRYTOX. It is still made by DuPont for Leslies. It may still have the Krytox stuff - it just no longer references it on their label. I bought some anyway.

---

The GE adhesive didn't work so well for me. After letting it sit for 24 hours as the directions stated - It didn't hold anything. The rubber just fell off of it's own weight! At least it was easy (too easy) to wipe off in a matter of minutes.

Other adhesive options I'll be trying include 3M molding adhesive, contact cement and various 'automotive' goop glues. Might even try some double sided molding adhesive too if nothing else...

Isn't there a temperature and humidity caution on the back of the GE adhesive? I remember trying to reinforce the windshield seal near my hood latch holder once during the winter months and it wouldn't cure due to the near freezing temperatures. I had to wait until Spring.

But, I used it to seal a crack in a section of weatherstrip during the summer months on my A-pillar and it worked just fine.

That's interesting that someone else had that same problem. I have not replaced the weather strip yet but will soon. Glad to here about the silicon grease to keep up the life of the rubber. I have replaced all the other weather stripping with 3M weather strip adhesive which the maintenance manual suggest doing. I notice that all the Vette catalogs offer both the silicon grease and the more expensive stuff called Krytox. I wonder just how good that stuff is for the price it is?

Krytox is a non-petroleum lubricant made at the DuPont Deepwater New Jersey plant. It is manufactured in a batch process. The Krytox is an incredible lubricant, so much so, that the companies that purchase it, such as aerospace industries, return it to DuPont to be reclaimed and reused. In the last two weeks of March and the first week in October 2007, I was conducting an EPA compliance investigation of the Deepwater facility and saw the Krytox process. Wouldn't and can't discuss any of the findings as they are enforcement confidential, and the Krytox process is claimed as Confidential Business Information by DuPont. I know the manufacturing process and the chemicals used, and I can tell you that the Krytox is incredible lubricant. I believe that Mid America sold the Krytox in 1 ounce tubes for $44. I did not see it in their latest catalog. DuPont won't allow their employees to have samples of the Krytox for personal use as it is very expensive. But it is by far the BEST thing out there for lubricating the weatherstripping. If you want the best, purchase Krytox and never worry again. Hope this answers your question about Krytox quality. Incidently, during the investigation, I talked to one of the DuPont's representatives and in passing mentioned that I had a C4 and C5. He had a C2 and C3. Friendship started right away. Corvette lovers bond whenever we can.

Before I became aware of Krytox, I used Lexol's leather conditioner/cleaner for the weatherstripping because it is rich in glycerin. No silicone in it as it will evaporate, especially in Colorado's dry climate. I applied the Lexol three times per year to the weatherstripping on both vettes, once before they go into winter storage, once when they come out of storage, and mid summer. With Krytox, one coat per year is probably sufficient.
Barrett

I didn't find anything to re-attach the corners of the weatherstrip. I just ended up buying a new hatch seal.

Red Vette "Thank You" I guess I'm going to look for some Krytox. Meanwhile I'll use the Lexol leather conditioner/cleaner since I have it. Thanks for that info on DuPont's Krytox, it helped a lot.:beer
You are welcome. I searched the Eckler's Fall/Winter C4 Corvette catalog and found a 2 ounce tube for $44.99 on page 54.
Barrett

Red Vette "Thank You" I guess I'm going to look for some Krytox. Meanwhile I'll use the Lexol leather conditioner/cleaner since I have it. Thanks for that info on DuPont's Krytox, it helped a lot.:beer
What? No love for me? I'm the guy who posted the pic of the Pool & Spa Lube product that contains the Krytox. :upthumbs:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom