Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! During radiator filling the level won't decrease

Okay, so you're saying that the right hose would probably just fit around the thinner pipe and be flush with the larger ring?

Bob pointed out something very important and thats if the diameter of the hose is to big(ment for the larger portion of the neck) it wont work on the thinner section of the neck. the hose has to fit snoggle on the neck.

Bob pointed out something very important and thats if the diameter of the hose is to big(ment for the larger portion of the neck) it wont work on the thinner section of the neck. the hose has to fit snoggle on the neck.
Thanks. Seems like it's time to buy another radiator hose again :L But first I will measure the exact diameter of the radiator pipe. Do you reckon that the way the big hose was attached before, with its sharp curve and thinner area, was a perfect formula for the hose to come off? In case the big hose was clamped to the larger ring, in my eyes some of the pressure would be pressing into the area between the smaller rad. neck and the big hose, causing even more trouble in that location.

EDIT: Assuming I have the SPECTRA PREMIUM radiator from Rockauto.com which does seem to have a small radiator inlet neck by the specs, here's what I just found:

Radiator inlet 1.3"
My current hose diameter 1.5"

There is another hose which has 1.25" in one end and 1.5" in the other. As the current hose I have fits perfectly to the thermostat housing, it seems like that would be the right hose to get. Seems like I should never trust those salesmen in the car shops. He made me order that one without even making me think over the diameter.

it seems that there is two application for our year vett(79), an early and a late. im not saying this is your problem but maybe you have a radiator for one model and a hose for the other. ive replaced my radiator and hoses recently and dont recall the radiator being like that. my 79 is a late model.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom