Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Driving That C5 In The Snow?

Brrrrr - A bit chilly @ the camp site this morning...

:ugh

wrxfl.jpg
Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Preacher - don't let something like four or more inches of snow slow you down. Put a set of these on it and I'm sure it will out handle even the best of the 4x4's.:L
Remo:cool

krawler-t-a-kx.jpg

A vette with beadlock wheels. :rotfl Maybe an airbag system so I can get that bad boy up in the air. I could do a little rock crawling during the summer months. ;LOL

(Do you think those "mudders" are speed rated? :beer)

I think that you are mostly correct here; the tires are the biggest problem. However, the width of the tires, the relatively light weight of the Corvette, and the large amount of torque all work against you.

Those factors are relevant for all cars in the snow. As for weight, in slick conditions I'd rather be trying to stop a light weight Corvette than a 3 ton Caprice. And in soft snow, I thing the wide footprint give better grip (more surface area making contact). As for torque, don't floor it. :rotfl

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, this is just my opinion.

Those factors are relevant for all cars in the snow. As for weight, in slick conditions I'd rather be trying to stop a light weight Corvette than a 3 ton Caprice. And in soft snow, I thing the wide footprint give better grip (more surface area making contact). As for torque, don't floor it. :rotfl

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, this is just my opinion.

The reality of driving in snow is that a tall narrow tire that increases amount of pressure exerted per square inch of tire to road contact is the best. We get more than enough snow here in NW Indiana to experiment...
:thumb

No way do I want to take these out in the winter, To me CORVETTE is not just a car it's an institution and deserves respect. I drive for a living and really don't enjoy it in the winter, not that i don't know how but of all the other's on the road that don't. To everyone where there is real winter is it really that important to take your pride and joy out into the (slippery,sandy,salty,jerk behind you,dope coming the other way) winter climate? To me when april rolls around I'm like a kid on christmas morning when I pull the covers off :upthumbs

No way do I want to take these out in the winter, To me CORVETTE is not just a car it's an institution and deserves respect. I drive for a living and really don't enjoy it in the winter, not that i don't know how but of all the other's on the road that don't. To everyone where there is real winter is it really that important to take your pride and joy out into the (slippery,sandy,salty,jerk behind you,dope coming the other way) winter climate? To me when april rolls around I'm like a kid on christmas morning when I pull the covers off :upthumbs
If I did not know better, I would have sworn I wrote that, Bobsvette, I feel exactly the same way.

The capability of Corvette in the snow started with c4 when ASR came out.
I have been fortunate to drive c4/c5/c6 in the snow when correctly equipped with snow tires.
EVERY ONE is amazing, although, the c5/c6 computer system make it much more predictable than the c4.
I find it amazing that for a performance sports car to have that much capability, and many people dont realize it.
Allthebest, c4c5

Paul, I guess what I'm saying is why trash something when you don't have to? I understand that a vette will get through the snow (hell as a younger man I used to ride my motorcycle through the winter,because that's all I had) but now I have a choice. When I drive one of the vette's in the summer I want it to perform, can't really get that much enjoyment during the winter month's :)

Paul, I guess what I'm saying is why trash something when you don't have to? I understand that a vette will get through the snow (hell as a younger man I used to ride my motorcycle through the winter,because that's all I had) but now I have a choice. When I drive one of the vette's in the summer I want it to perform, can't really get that much enjoyment during the winter month's :)
Who Trashes them,Mines 6 years old the 10th of January,gets driven about every day of the year and sets out allot! Just done her Bi-Annual Detail,Vacuum,Maguires Gold Class Leather Treatment,Liquid Ice Clay Bar,Triple Liquid Ice wax job,Wheels and all!!:thumb

She still looks great for a 6 year old used car in a HillBilly neighborhood!!:boogie:boogie:boogie

I am over in the big sand box, but if I were home in snowy Colorado Springs the Z would be driven everyday that the snow won't high center it. Having grown up in Michigan and driven everything from Cavaliers to Fords, to my wife's AWD Saturn Vue Redline, I totally agree with c4c5, the Vette is impressive in the snow.

Its not for me to say how or why to drive a personally owned Corvette.
I observed that a powerful, rear drive vehicle like Corvette, to be able to handle the snow, is impressive.
That is all.
I believe everyone has their own theory about Corvette ownership, I just love the capability IF you ever want to.
Allthebest, c4c5

Mabe the word trashing was a poor choice for a word. Junk, really, how much snow and ice do you get in NC? My folk's live in palm bay and I never seen snow there. I understand what c4c5 is saying the vette is a great car in the snow,that's something I'll never find out. Colorado Spring's... been there many time's but the way people blast up and down 25 their are some crazy drivers out there because you have to go like hell to make any time to where your going I'm just outside downtown denver on arapahoe road for work a couple times a year summer and winter and have yet to see a decent amount of snow in the lowland, not until you get to the foothill's then it turned into 4 feet.There's alot of way's to look at this subject and bottom line for me is I feel driving my vette in the winter climate in the northeast is a lousy decision. snow,slush,sand,salt,pothole's,chunk's of asphalt,cold tire's,cold start's,scrape the window's of ice, sand,salt snow all over your shoe's when you get in your car, Hell I can go on and on but I'll stop now. by the way you guy's that don't mind driving through all this miserable slop why bother doing all that fancy cleaning (Junk Dude) Just run it through the automatic car wash ;shrug;LOLsorry, :bash

Finally Someone Who Gets It

Bob,

You're 100% correct. I couldn't agree with you more.

The capability of Corvette in the snow started with c4 when ASR came out.
I have been fortunate to drive c4/c5/c6 in the snow when correctly equipped with snow tires.
EVERY ONE is amazing, although, the c5/c6 computer system make it much more predictable than the c4.
I find it amazing that for a performance sports car to have that much capability, and many people dont realize it.
Allthebest, c4c5

My problem has been when the snow is too deep for the low clearance of the Vette. I had the problem with both a C4 and a C5. I'm always afraid that ice ball I hit took out something important. There is not much room under there and when I get home to find the snow plow has been buy and put a snow/ice barrier at the end of my driveway, I had no choice but to park in the street until I could clear a path. :confused

A Lovely Chicago Morning

And this C5 driver plans to dust it off and drive to work.:eek:hnoes

c6-4.jpg

Remo - That picture's been around da web for quite sometime, are you starting to run low on drugs? ;squint:

L8TR - D

Not sure about that Dwayne. The photo was dated January 2009. Here's the same car later that day after he dug it out.
c6-6.jpg

This morning we've got three inches of snow, frozen crusty stuff and it's raining semi ice/rain mix. I must be stupid, but I'm glad my AE is tucked away in the garage.

Mental note for future: You can never have too much garage space !;LOL

Remo - These 1st two pics sure look the same and wouldn't that be a C6 driver?

Don't Let This Happen To You
c6-4.jpg

And this C5 driver plans to dust it off and drive to work.
c6-4.jpg
Not sure about that Dwayne. The photo was dated January 2009. Here's the same car later that day after he dug it out.
c6-6.jpg
REMO - I'd check your drugs, someone might be slipping you some LSD! ;)

L8TR - D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom