Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Important! GM DVD Navigation Sales Deception

flrtaylor

Corvette
2008 JetStream Blue Coupe
:mad

Guess what!

1 - DVD Navigation disk database error corrections and any disk updates ARE NOT INCLUDED in your 3 year - 36K miles 'bumper-to-bumper' warranty!

2 - GM DVD Nav Center wants $300 for any DVD disk updates.

3 - 2006,2007 Corvette owners got free annual updates, but 2008 owners do not!

4 - Even if you find mistakes in database and advise GM DVD Nav Center of the errors, they don't know if (or when) they'll get corrected in any future updates.

5 - I've called GM corporate - and they DON'T CARE!

ANYONE WANT TO JOIN ME IN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST GM?

Bottom Line - There is a reasonable expectation that factory installed options are covered for defects

How did this get started?

I wanted to see my daughter's performance at a Orlando-area attraction.

I looked up the location of the Dinner Show on the DVD Nav menu, and followed the directions to the location.

It had the Dinner Show Theater listed in the WRONG CITY!!!!!!!!!!

It took me to an adjacent city (same highway) 16 miles away!!!!!!!!!

I missed the show and spent three hours on the road for nothing!

To say I was upset that night is an understatement, but that's not why I'm upset (and feel cheated and deceived) now.

I'm not upset that there was an error, I'm upset that GM won't take responsibility for correcting the problem without 'gouging' the consumer.

If the dealer had told me (before I ordered the vehicle) that updates weren't included or covered under warranty, and would cost $300 for each update (on top of the $1750 price of the DVD package), I would never have bought the DVD Navigation option.

This is WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is DECEPTIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!

This is FRAUD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please reply any incidents (bad navigation results) you've experienced with this product.

I don't believe any automobile manufacturer would consider "updates" to the navagation system a warranty issue. I am sure it is spelled out somewhere that updates are the responsibility of the owner. There was no fraud here. Why not stop in and see your dealer. I'm sure he will be happy to see you.

I don't believe any automobile manufacturer would consider "updates" to the navagation system a warranty issue. I am sure it is spelled out somewhere that updates are the responsibility of the owner. There was no fraud here. Why not stop in and see your dealer. I'm sure he will be happy to see you.

My problem is not with the dealer - they're great.
My problem is that nowhere in the marketing information or brochures does GM indicate that they take no responsibility for errors or omissions in the DVD Navigation System.

The first time you see any 'as is' disclaimers are after you've taken vehicle delivery and open the Owner's Manuals.

Also, there is no statement (ala OnStar or XM) that a subscription service is required for updates.

$300 is an outrage, $50 / year (no problem).

Finally, one has a reasonable expectation that a Navigation System should operate correctly. If one relies on the directions and gets lost or is routed to an incorrect destination, the product is defective.

If you bought an aircraft navigation system and were routed to a non-existant airfield, wouldn't the manufacturer be held liable for the problem?

My problem is not with the dealer - they're great.
My problem is that nowhere in the marketing information or brochures does GM indicate that they take no responsibility for errors or omissions in the DVD Navigation System.

The first time you see any 'as is' disclaimers are after you've taken vehicle delivery and open the Owner's Manuals.

Also, there is no statement (ala OnStar or XM) that a subscription service is required for updates.

$300 is an outrage, $50 / year (no problem).

Finally, one has a reasonable expectation that a Navigation System should operate correctly. If one relies on the directions and gets lost or is routed to an incorrect destination, the product is defective.

If you bought an aircraft navigation system and were routed to a non-existant airfield, wouldn't the manufacturer be held liable for the problem?

2005 Owners Got SCREWED first...
So welcome to the exclusive club...:bash

Hi there,
Hold on.
First, your DVD navigation radio supplement states that any of these reasons can cause inaccurate positioning on your NAV.
• The road system has changed.

• The vehicle is driving on slippery road surfaces such as in sand, gravel and/or snow.

• The vehicle is traveling on winding roads.

• The vehicle is on a long straight road.

• The vehicle is approaching a tall building or a large vehicle.

• The surface streets run parallel to a freeway.

• The vehicle has just been transferred by a vehicle carrier or a ferry.

• The current position calibration is set incorrectly.

• The vehicle is traveling at high speed.

• The vehicle changes directions more than once, or when the vehicle is turning on a turn table in a parking lot.

• The vehicle is entering and/or exiting a parking lot, garage or a lot with a roof.

• The GPS signal is not received.

• A roof carrier is installed on your vehicle.

• The vehicle is equipped with tire chains.

• The tires are replaced.

• The tire pressure for your tires is incorrect.

• The tires are worn.

• The first time the map DVD is inserted.

• The battery is disconnected for several days.

• The vehicle is driving in heavy traffic where driving is at low speeds, and the vehicle is stopped and started repeatedly.

Not to mention, if the calibration wasnt performed prior, this could occur.
My first suggestion, would be to check to see if you are calibrated correctly before each trip.

Plus your programmning the destination, YOU SET the final location. Did you correctly set in the address and the city?

Allthebest, c4c5

I'd what's posted above is true then I don't understand why someone would want to add this as an option. Don't seem like it's worth the hassle. Besides that we survived with paper maps.

The first time I had an occasion to make serious use of my NavSystem in my '06 was this past summer, when I took a trip from Colorado to Washington State to visit family staying in Anacortes, WA for the season. The route involved an overnight stay in Butte, Montana both going outbound and on the return, and had me going through three states I have never before travelled within: Montana, Idaho and Washington.

The Disc I had in my Nav system was the original disc that came with the car (I've since just received a 2008 2-Disc update), but even with that original disc, I found the motel I was staying at by inputting the phone number: the system found it immediately, and gave me perfect navigation instructions. On day 2 of the trip, I was a little more worried because I had chosen to use both routes that kept me off the interstate once I got in Washington State, and because my destination that day was a house accessed off a private road. Again, the Nav system functioned flawlessly. The same was true for the return trip a week and a half later.

While I can appreciate your frustration, flrtaylor, I have to say I have never experienced anything like what you describe. For me, the DVD Navigation System is a tremendous asset, and one I wouldn't be without on a long trip. It's ability to find way-points for gas stations, restaurants, rest-stops, etc- throughout the trip is a God-send.

I'm sorry your experiences with it haven't been positive.

My Vette nav experiences have been, for the most part, excellent. GM charges for updates, and so does every other manufacturer I've heard about. It's a subscription for a factory installed option - much like XM or OnStar. The company that does the updating and mapping has expenses, and passes them to GM, who passes them to us. Oh well.

I know that I look at things dfferently, but I am quit pleased with my Garmin 200W.
I can move it from car to car and it only cost ~$200 last year. I was able to update via the net for free. If it breaks, I am only out $200, without a "hole" in the dash.

GPS software is not 100% accurate. I don't care whether it is car-based or portable such as a Garmin, Magellan, etc. I have owned several GPS systems of both genre and there are problems with ALL of them. Blame the GPS software manufactures if you wish, not the GM's of the world who merely sell them to you for markup.

Software updates? Well, I have never had an update that significantly changed a freakin' thing. I'm done with updates.

Has anyone seen and/or purchased a C6 NAV update disc-set on eBay ? And, `would` it work properly ?

Screwed First!!!

Has anyone seen and/or purchased a C6 NAV update disc-set on eBay ? And, `would` it work properly ?

I agree that just anything to do with the Vette says "We all have allot of money, we drive a Vette", OK we all know thats bull hockey...but I agree $300 bucks for a DVD isn't a screwing it's Hiway robbery, had I know when I ordered my C6 back in 2005 what it was going to cost for the update I would have never ordered it on the car, oh well water under the bridge, and that's another reason in a long line of reasons why GMC is mostly owned by our trusting goverment. And like everything else to do with the Gov't, AIN'T NUTTIN WE CAN DO ABOUT IT, take it and like it......Hey at least you guys that bought 2006 and 2007 models got your update free, I bought a brand new 2005 and got nothing...........nothing......, I can go out and buy the top of the line GARMIN that works 100 times better than the crap they but on the NAV system for the Vette. and not spend anywhere near $300 and then only have to pay about $120 for LIFTIME UPDATES......Did you get that......$120 for LIFETIME UPDATES, not $300 a year........Guess what guys we got TOTALLY SHAFTED..............
So the bottom line....TO BAD.
If I thought filing a Class Action Lawsuit against GM would work, I'd done it a while back, but If someone wants to start the ball rolling........
SIGN ME UP...
So now I have this Nasty looking Screen in the middle of my dashboard that's basically is a $1600 AM FM 1 CD stereo system....talk about getting the shaft.....
THANK YOU GM.:puke FOR YOU GM!! :finger:finger:finger

My Vette nav experiences have been, for the most part, excellent. GM charges for updates, and so does every other manufacturer I've heard about. It's a subscription for a factory installed option - much like XM or OnStar. The company that does the updating and mapping has expenses, and passes them to GM, who passes them to us. Oh well.
True while most GPS/NAV system makers do charge for updates GARMIN for example only charges about $120 for LIFETIME UPDATES, I would have to say that is quite a better deal than what GM offers Vette owners.....Wouldn't you?
and besides I don't think anyone here objects to any company making a profit, that how business operates, but $300 a year........Thats just plain wrong no matter how you slice it.......but like you said.......OH WELL!!!!
We do have to take it......But we don't have to like it!!!

I just don't get it...

Hi there,
Hold on.
First, your DVD navigation radio supplement states that any of these reasons can cause inaccurate positioning on your NAV.
• The road system has changed.

• The vehicle is driving on slippery road surfaces such as in sand, gravel and/or snow.

• The vehicle is traveling on winding roads.

• The vehicle is on a long straight road.

• The vehicle is approaching a tall building or a large vehicle.

• The surface streets run parallel to a freeway.

• The vehicle has just been transferred by a vehicle carrier or a ferry.

• The current position calibration is set incorrectly.

• The vehicle is traveling at high speed.

• The vehicle changes directions more than once, or when the vehicle is turning on a turn table in a parking lot.

• The vehicle is entering and/or exiting a parking lot, garage or a lot with a roof.

• The GPS signal is not received.

• A roof carrier is installed on your vehicle.

• The vehicle is equipped with tire chains.

• The tires are replaced.

• The tire pressure for your tires is incorrect.

• The tires are worn.

• The first time the map DVD is inserted.

• The battery is disconnected for several days.

• The vehicle is driving in heavy traffic where driving is at low speeds, and the vehicle is stopped and started repeatedly.

Not to mention, if the calibration wasnt performed prior, this could occur.
My first suggestion, would be to check to see if you are calibrated correctly before each trip.

Plus your programmning the destination, YOU SET the final location. Did you correctly set in the address and the city?

Allthebest, c4c5

I don't get it...........I have a Garmin 255WT I paid about $129 for it, and the LIFETIME...Yes LIFETIME updates cost me $119, now all the above statements might apply to the GM NAV system, but not to the Garmin...Why you may ask? Simple, the Garmin is a much much better product, if I thought I could replace the screen on my Vette with the the garmin I would.....I can't so I won't.
Am I sorry I ordered the NAV system on my car? YOU BET I AM! about $1600 worth of sorry.
Would I do it again?.....Not only no, but Heck No!
What can I do? ........Nothing!
Do I use it? ....No.
I have a Garmin, with lifetime updates....
LIVE AND LEARN, This is such a great place to blow off steam

:mad

Guess what!

1 - DVD Navigation disk database error corrections and any disk updates ARE NOT INCLUDED in your 3 year - 36K miles 'bumper-to-bumper' warranty!

2 - GM DVD Nav Center wants $300 for any DVD disk updates.

3 - 2006,2007 Corvette owners got free annual updates, but 2008 owners do not!

4 - Even if you find mistakes in database and advise GM DVD Nav Center of the errors, they don't know if (or when) they'll get corrected in any future updates.

5 - I've called GM corporate - and they DON'T CARE!

ANYONE WANT TO JOIN ME IN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST GM?

Bottom Line - There is a reasonable expectation that factory installed options are covered for defects

How did this get started?

I wanted to see my daughter's performance at a Orlando-area attraction.

I looked up the location of the Dinner Show on the DVD Nav menu, and followed the directions to the location.

It had the Dinner Show Theater listed in the WRONG CITY!!!!!!!!!!

It took me to an adjacent city (same highway) 16 miles away!!!!!!!!!

I missed the show and spent three hours on the road for nothing!

To say I was upset that night is an understatement, but that's not why I'm upset (and feel cheated and deceived) now.

I'm not upset that there was an error, I'm upset that GM won't take responsibility for correcting the problem without 'gouging' the consumer.

If the dealer had told me (before I ordered the vehicle) that updates weren't included or covered under warranty, and would cost $300 for each update (on top of the $1750 price of the DVD package), I would never have bought the DVD Navigation option.

This is WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is DECEPTIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!

This is FRAUD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please reply any incidents (bad navigation results) you've experienced with this product.

I wanted to add my two cents along w/ya....'09 buyers do not get updates either. I was quoted 200.00 I think it was. The DVD Nav is one of the higher cost options that was offered in '09, but, it's one of (my) least used options. It's nice it puts route up on HUD....but I still never use it.
My thoughts are in the upgraded radio (Bose) the gray appearence needs to have ability to change background color. I suppose the nav system might be more useful if going out of town or something....I like using Nav screen to access all other stuff like CD, XM etc. Thats one reason I wanted nav. Just wish they had it more integrated with gps w/graphics updated. The system would still need some database for sites/etc. I think I was told vette has nine computers w/four being redundant? I would think next gen will have computer integration for interior comforts/options/controls. To keep up a database is costly as well. But I'm w/ya, the price that they charge to get updates is a bit much...just my two cents.... :D

GM installs Nav, but doesn't produce them. They also don't have anything to do with the software and don't staff the service center. There are errors and omissions in all navs. Garmins are $150, and those who really need to have the latest poop should consider buying one. BTW, I ran into the same issues with Volvo and BMW.:upthumbs

I purchased a used '07 with NAV. The original owner didn't update the NAV disks so I sent and received updated disks. Even with the updates, the system leaves a lot to be desired as far as streets. I live in Las Vedgas and many of the streets that have been in place for years don't show up on the map. My Garmin is a better GPS but I like that way that the NAV system integrates into the HUD.

I purchased a used '07 with NAV. The original owner didn't update the NAV disks so I sent and received updated disks. Even with the updates, the system leaves a lot to be desired as far as streets. I live in Las Vedgas and many of the streets that have been in place for years don't show up on the map. My Garmin is a better GPS but I like that way that the NAV system integrates into the HUD.

Well, in fairness to the company that produces the NAV system, there's been a lot of growth in Las Vegas throughout the decade of the "oughts".

I know the cost has been a serious issue, but I tend to look at it as a question of value. If you can look up a destination by its phone number, and while en route to it, have your GPS find you an intermediate stop (hotel, gas, restaurant, golf course, hospital, shopping center, etc), and direct you to that intermediate stop and then back to your main destination, that's a system with some powerful flexibility and features built into it.

Funny, I brought the nav for the touch screen radio and the crossed flags at startup. I forgot it had other uses. :boogie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom