Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

0-9895 Holley Carburetor installed BUT..........

Vette79

Corvette
1979 L-48 Black Coupe
I have this 0-9895 Holley carburetor installed and it fits perfectly on the Performer Intake manifold. Three minor issues though and I hope you can help with some suggestions.

1. The brake booster connection to the rear of this carburetor does not fit. The connection is too large. The hole is smaller compared to the QJet. Where do you recommend finding a connector and does it matter if it is brass?
2. Obviously, the fuel line will have to be custom made if you want it all steel. I'm working on that now with a vendor.
3. The OEM clean air intake assembly does not fit on top of this carburetor. The fuel vapor canister vent tube is obstructing the clean air intake assembly from proper fitment. Any suggestions on a new air intake or making the OEM one work?

Jeff

the LT1 drop base air cleaner is what i had to go to with when i put on a holley.
as far as the brake booster. i had to remove the oem metal one and just use a rubber hose.

the LT1 drop base air cleaner is what i had to go to with when i put on a holley.
as far as the brake booster. i had to remove the oem metal one and just use a rubber hose.

Here is my problem. This vent tube is in the way.

Attachments

• 2010-12-26_12-17-41_658_edit0.jpg
    2010-12-26_12-17-41_658_edit0.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 166
The LT-1 drop base air cleaner is not going to clear that vent tube either. I've never seen a Holley with a vent tube there.

I don't think I've seen a Q-jet with a vent there either. Depending on the degree of heartburn, can you modify your existing lower air cleaner housing with a ball peen hammer to get the clearance you need? If not, you will need to look at an aftermarket air clearer. Might be the time to ask Holley what they recommend for a air cleaner.

A Rochester Quadrajet will fit that Performer intake manifold just as nicely ... and fit OE air cleaner & OE fuel line & OE booster etc etc.

Perhaps return the Holley ? ... exchange for a decent JET Performance brand rebuilt QJet for same $ ?

If you still have car's OE QJet, there're quality rebuilders who'll do it nice for $ less.

I don't think I've seen a Q-jet with a vent there either. Depending on the degree of heartburn, can you modify your existing lower air cleaner housing with a ball peen hammer to get the clearance you need? If not, you will need to look at an aftermarket air clearer. Might be the time to ask Holley what they recommend for a air cleaner.

It's not a QJet, it's a Holley.

A Rochester Quadrajet will fit that Performer intake manifold just as nicely ... and fit OE air cleaner & OE fuel line & OE booster etc etc.

Perhaps return the Holley ? ... exchange for a decent JET Performance brand rebuilt QJet for same $ ?

If you still have car's OE QJet, there're quality rebuilders who'll do it nice for $ less.
I've been through two QJet rebuilds. I'm moving on hoping for a better outcome. All issues have been resolved with brake booster line, fuel line, and clean air intake. Just finishing up with some other minor issues before starting.

It's not a QJet, it's a Holley.

Understand that. My point, which you missed, is the OEM air cleaner won't fit the Holley due to the Q-jet not having a similar vent on top of it. Therefore, the OEM air cleaner isn't clearance to fit over the offending vent line. Hence my suggestion of using a hammer to "modify" the air clearer base to make it fit.

I've been through two QJet rebuilds. I'm moving on hoping for a better outcome. All issues have been resolved with brake booster line, fuel line, and clean air intake. Just finishing up with some other minor issues before starting.
The first thing I did when I bought a car with a Q-jet was to pitch it and put on a Holley. That process started in 1969 and continued for a lot of years. I lost count of the number of Holleys I rebuilt thru those years.

But, thankfully I saved a few of those Q-jets 'cause when I decided to get into autocross racing in 1992 with the NCCC, I found myself in a situation where I had to run a Q-jet. I found out that someone who understands these carbs can do miracles with them.

So, I have to agree with Jack - and SVO. Either beat the crap out of the OEM aircleaner and hope for the best or or as Jack recommended, get a properly prepped Q-jet. Which, btw, will probably give you better performance and a lot better fuel economy for street use.

If you're running a hot cam, good heads, headers, a stiff gear and pure horsepower is all you're interested in, then Holley's the way to go (but not the one you purchased). For a near stock street car, stick with the Q-jet.

I have this 0-9895 Holley carburetor installed and it fits perfectly on the Performer Intake manifold. Three minor issues though and I hope you can help with some suggestions.

1. The brake booster connection to the rear of this carburetor does not fit. The connection is too large. The hole is smaller compared to the QJet. Where do you recommend finding a connector and does it matter if it is brass?
2. Obviously, the fuel line will have to be custom made if you want it all steel. I'm working on that now with a vendor.
3. The OEM clean air intake assembly does not fit on top of this carburetor. The fuel vapor canister vent tube is obstructing the clean air intake assembly from proper fitment. Any suggestions on a new air intake or making the OEM one work?

Jeff
if the air cleaner will clear without the front bowl vent tube pull it out and plug the hole.it is there for emmission venting

The Holley is installed without modifying anything. I'd rather complete a project without destroying anything if possible. Some customization was needed for Valve Covers, a specific air cleaner was needed in order to utilize the vapor vent tube, and a custom steel fuel line installed. Overall I'm happy with the turn out. Performance is good and the engine bay looks nice. Tuning is so much easier and I like the initial TQ. The pics are a little blurry.

Attachments

• 2011-02-19_15-04-19_487.jpg
    2011-02-19_15-04-19_487.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 2011-02-19_15-06-05_188.jpg
    2011-02-19_15-06-05_188.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 169
0-9895 Air Cleaner Base

The Holley is installed without modifying anything. I'd rather complete a project without destroying anything if possible. Some customization was needed for Valve Covers, a specific air cleaner was needed in order to utilize the vapor vent tube, and a custom steel fuel line installed. Overall I'm happy with the turn out. Performance is good and the engine bay looks nice. Tuning is so much easier and I like the initial TQ. The pics are a little blurry.

I'm considering running a 0-9895 Holley and was curious what air cleaner base you used to fit over the vacuum diaphragm and the vapor vent tube.
I have been through two rebuilt Q-jets, neither one was any good so I'm thinking the "new" Holley will work

That's a clean looking installation. Where does the carb vent tube go to?

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom