Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

04 Z06 Fuel Pump

alan ream

Corvette
2004 Red Z06
Just had my 04 ZO6 towed to Cormier Chevy in Carson, CA. Seems my fuel pump went out. I only have 51,000 miles on the car and I'm amazed that it went out so soon. Anyway, the cost was $1,700 parts and labor. After I got off the floor, I asked it that price included the vasaline.

They said that the gas tank needed to be dropped down, which accounts for most of the labor. I paid the price and drove home. I also asked for the old pump. The thing looks like a part out of a NASA booster rocket.

Now to my question. Just how hard is it to pull a Z06 gas tank??. According to them, the exhaust system needed to be dropped to allow access.

And, lastly, can I simply replace the fuel pump without replacing what appears to be a sophisticated nylon cage with hoses and fuel gauge sending unit??

any help is greatly appreciated.
Alan

That is probably to book rate on the job. If the mechanic beats the book he does more jobs a day & makes more as does the dealer. As for piecemeal on the parts, I would want all new parts in the tank if it were my car.

:)

Interesting that you posted today, as I just bought gmpp (zero ded) on my 04. 5 years 40k add's for $1345.

I would not own a Vette out of warranty unless it's an old mid year type.

The FSM specifies removing the exhaust, the transaxle and the torque tube before dropping the left tank to replace the pump. That is definitely a job which would run a thousand or so for just the labor.

The reason the FSM specifies doing that is to allow (force?) visual inspection of the crossover pipe between the two tanks once the job is complete. With the driveline support assy in place you cannot observe all of that tube. If the tube doesn't get reinstalled correctly, you get a big f---ing fuel leak. So GM plays it safe and makes sure the tech can see the xover tube after installation.

That said, I've spoken to enough techs to know that the good ones can R&R the left tank with the support in place. They have to verify the cross over pipe is properly installed by feel. Guys who can pull the left tank w/o pulling the driveline support beat the flat rate big time.

As for the pump assembly itself, the only way they come from GM/SPO is the whole bucket. I don't know if it's true with the late C5 fuel pump, but there are other GM vehicles that use that bucket affair for which you can buy just a pump and then change it. It is a bit more difficult that way but certainly less expensive.

(snip)

Interesting that you posted today, as I just bought gmpp (zero ded) on my 04. 5 years 40k add's for $1345.

I would not own a Vette out of warranty unless it's an old mid year type.
K&N, SilverStars, Corsa Exhaust, race alignment, QA1 adjustable shocks, big bars, more rims than anyone should have, Kumho 710's, RD 5 point harness, Valentine 1, Carbo Tech Panther Plus pads, Mobil1 10w/30, Castrol TWS, Redline for the rest.

San Diego Region Solo2, CSCC LA Region Solo2

2006 SCCA Solo Champion - San Diego Region A Stock

You'd be smart to take all your autocross acomplishments off your sig line as GM sometimes lurks on forums. Your sig line is a public statement that you race the car and racing is instant grounds for voiding your warranty be it the factory warranty or a GMPP.

Thanks Hib.

:)

Hi there,
As a quick sidebar, there is actually a special lubricant for the lines inside that tube, because they are SO DIFFICULT to reinstall and align correctly.
Allthebest, c4c5

This is one of the best threads I've seen on any Vette site. Hib and C4C5 come through again. Many thanks.:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom