Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 05 Shutdown gremlin

84jet4rs

Corvette
1984 & 2005 Coupe
Need some help here please my 05 with 37K miles has a gremlin and the dealer is draining me changing parts and the gremlin continues. There is no rime or reason for the shut down of the car (speed / location / time of day, etc). Two minutes out of the driveway not even out of the development the car shuts down. It will restart by putting in Neutral, foot on brake, push button and go. But as you go about the nice drive may or may not be in traffic the car shuts down. Could be doing 30 mph or 70. Again the same restart process and keep going. After a restart or two the check engine light will come on with the driver info panel displaying HOT ENGINE and AC SYSTEM OFF. Also the analog Temp gage has dropped off and indicates 0. What the Heck is going on. I have check a couple of grounds that can be touched. The security system parts (fobs and security controller) have been change. A Temp sensor has also been changed a one point. Even the Mass AirFlow Sensor has been changed.
:madANYBODY???:mad
Thanks
Bob Simpson
Orange Park, FL
I would like to drive to Daytona for the Rolex 24 without a check engine light. It might be my excuse to get the 2015
05 With Flames crop.jpg

Hi hear your frustration, Bob. It pains me to have to tell you that the kind of problem you have can be the most difficult to solve.

All I can do is guess that it's an issue with wires or connections and that checking the chassis grounds you've found so far is a good idea.

Lacking the Factory Service Manuals, extensive diagnostic skills and proper test equipment to DIY, the first thing I'd do is look for a different service facility. If your dealer has worked on the car on multiple occasions to no effect, that's a clue that the dealer may lack the ability to fix it.

You need a service facility with good electrical diagnostic skills.

Agreed with Hib...

It's pretty hard to troubleshoot across the internet unless you've got the skills and knowledge to do some testing.

Mac

Thanks

Well, I thought just maybe there was one issue that was common to another and it was worth the effort. I will continue to T/T the issue and go to my other dealer in the area. I was told by one corvette owner to change out the battery. As an electrician and checking the battery as a good battery I am hesitant. But what the heck, what's another $100 buckaroos.
Thanks again, anyone going to the Rolex in Daytona on the 24th and 25th?

Bob S.

Shutdown

I had an 02 Chev silverado and it would do the same thing. I found out it was the crank sensor.I don't know much about the LS2 but might be something to look into. I'd be going down I-75 and the engine would just stop. Pull over and it would start right up. You would never know when it would do it again. I replaced the sensor and all was good. Very scary stuff.

05 Gremlin

Thanks Gang for all the comments and assistance. Wanted to let you all know that the car is back in the shop with the assistance of GM of whom I called and complained concerning that why can a dealership fix this car? We will see. I did tell the shop that I don't want the car back until it is fixed with the exception that I do want the car back by the 23rd of January so that I can drive to the Rolex on the 24th. I told them that I don't want to drive into the Corvette Coral with a check engine light.
Oh! and while I was at the dealer darned if they didn't have a 2015 corvette on the show room. And, I had to sit in it and drooled;) all over it:D.

I'll keep you all informed.
Thanks again.
Bob S.

WOW, you are lucky to get that kind of action from GM. I hope that they find the problem and get it fixed.

05 Gremlin

Tom,
It's not over yet. All I did was make GM corporate know that their dealership can not fix my car. This makes the fourth time it has been in the shop for the same problem. Let's get it right. All GM did was sent a nasty gram to the managers. Not too sure what that will do other than light a fire under the mechanic to get it right. As we all know Gremlins are hard to find. Takes a good tech and a lot of patience.

Bob S.;)

At least the fire has been lit. Hopefully they can solve the problem in a timely manner.

Tombovette might be on to something, I've experienced a similar problem where it ended up being a crank sensor.

Hi there,

THINK SIMPLE!

I can tell you that connections from battery to electrical centers are common issues when people do not install batteries correctly.

Loose terminals, changes in wiring when technicians service vehicles is rampant.

Clean battery terminals, torqued to minimum of 71 in lbs and no more than 96 in lbs and then go to the engine ground sources, starter terminal, and underhood bussed electrical center/fuse block is ALWAYS the best first course of action.

Allthebest, Paul

behaving for the doctor

Thanks C4C5, I have looked at all of those issues trying to keep it simple. Here in my garage that is about all I can do. The car is still in the GM shop (since last Tuesday) and the car has not been cooperative, the gremlin has not reared it's head. They have driven it several times, let it sit in idle and no problem. The mechanics have looked at alternator input/output, battery, engine and body grounds. I get the car back today, I need to detail it before I head down to Daytona for the week-end (Rolex 24 Hr race). I'll be upset if the gremlin shows itself on my way to Daytona or return. I am an aircraft electrical engineer specializing in Electromagnetics with that said I am beginning to think that it may be my cell phone emission causing the shut down however the ? is why do I get a HOT ENG and AC SHUT DWN along with the analog temp gage dropping to 0.

Thanks again for all of the input on this issue. I would sure hate to go in debt for a 2015. :L

Bob Simpson

It's the FOB

Well, wanted to inform all of the progress that was made on finding the gremlin in my 05. As you all know the dealership had the car all last week from Tuesday through the week until the Thursday of the following week. They were given both key fobs and I watched them tie them all together when I gave them the car. What did they find? NOTHING. They put about 200 miles on the odometer trying to duplicate the gremlin but no luck. They took several measurements at several different locations, also looking at grounds, again. So I had to physically go get the car as I was driving it down to the Rolex 24 hour race in Daytona on Saturday Morning staying till Sunday after the finish. So I got it home detailed it getting it ready to show it off in the Corvette coral. When I left Saturday morning I stopped off at Starbucks to get a cup of brew for the ride, 3.1 miles from the house, when I shifted into reverse to park, OFF WENT THE CAR, restarted and OK. Back in the car, on the highway and 32 miles down the road, OFF WENT THE CAR again, coasting from 80 to 50 mph putting it in neutral and got it restarted without someone slamming into the back of me. 10 more miles down the road car still running the driver information panel displays HOT ENGINE and AC OFF along with the analog temp cage showing O. Aggravating because for the prior week there was no sign of this gremlin. I have been battling this for about two years. Continuing on down the road to Daytona again at 69 miles on the trip meter the car shuts off again. I finally made it. On the way back the following day from the race the car only shut down once shortly followed by the HOT ENGINE and AC OFF.
I started to think that when the dealer was trying to trouble shoot the gremlin they had both key fobs. So I took a trip yesterday using the key fob that I seldom use. The car worked perfectly. Drove it again this morning with the other fob (mine) and sure enough I got the gremlin. SO, what I have surmised is that I have a key fob that is not talking or responding to the security module. I talked with the service manager and the mechanic informing them of this issue and they concur that I have a bad fob. (Wow, Rocket Science) However what they couldn't answer is WHY does the HOT ENG and the AC OFF display? They had no answer and even though I requested that they call an engineer or their all mighty tech line I don't think I'll ever find out. So, I guess I will get a new key FOB. I don't like having just one. I trust this issue is all over.
Thanks to all that assisted with their comments.
OBTW: Great race. The C7R's were marvelous running a perfect race. At one point it looked as if they were going to take each other out, racing against each other. :thumb:beer
Bob S.

That is almost unbelievable. But I'm soooooo glad that you figured it out. I'm keeping this info in my back pocket. Just in case a similar situation comes up again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom