Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

#1 on an 86 distributor

T

tdr1919

Guys, while I was installing the MSD module I figured I would replace the rotor & cap, and in my haste I pulled all the wires from the cap without marking #1
can someone please help me out, the FSM has a very poor illustration and is not clearing things up for me.
Thanks,
Tom

If the distributor is correctly fit into the engine #1 is the first wire to the left of the connector block.

If you are not sure about the distributor turn the motor to TDC of the compression stroke for #1 cylinder and see where the rotor is pointing.

If you cannot get it let me know and I will take a picture for you. However what spanishvettes suggested works well. When I replaced the distributor on my 71 Formula, I got the wires all screwed up. I turned the motor and my bro held his finger over where the plug would go on #1. He felt compression build up and at the very point it quit we looked at where the rotor was in relation to how the cap goes on. The rotor points at #1. Hope this helps.

If you cannot get it let me know and I will take a picture for you. However what spanishvettes suggested works well. When I replaced the distributor on my 71 Formula, I got the wires all screwed up. I turned the motor and my bro held his finger over where the plug would go on #1. He felt compression build up and at the very point it quit we looked at where the rotor was in relation to how the cap goes on. The rotor points at #1. Hope this helps.

Hey Vetteboy,
I'm good, for me it is position 2 from the tach wire.
Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom