Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

130 Psi ??? !!! ???

S

Silver97

My Cars DIC is telling me that my car has oil at 130 PSI, and the gauge is marking Max PSI at 80, this is obviously wrong since it marks it when the engien is not running, however the gauge is not stuck since when you turn it on it goes through the full motion and then settles at 80PSI, can this be correct? Should I continue to drive the car? Also the Car has NO DIC codes on the computer I checked them already.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Same Thing here

I'm having the same problems. Mine reads about 55 psi when the car is not running abd about 98 when the car is on.. So if you subrtact the numbers they are about right.. So I think it is just an instrument problem.. Anybody else ever had this problem before.. Oh and about a year ago I had to have the oil sending unit replaced..

I had the same thing just happen to me, one day it was fine now its pined at 80 on the gague and the readout is 128. Oil is fine and at the proper level. I hate to have to take it to the dealer to find the peroblem but affraid to drive it as is. Looking for answers to. Its exactly the the same as Silvers problem. Well everone have a great day. Oh its a 1998 vette.

Yeah, this is a pretty common problem. My '98 coupe had it, too. Do a search in this forum for something like "oil 130" or "oil pressure", and you'll find several threads discussing the problem. Basically, it's a problem with the sending unit, not the actual oil pressure. I believe the part is pretty inexpensive, but it involves taking off the intake manifold, which can cost $300-400 labor. So, many just leave it as is with the gauge pegged at 80 and the DIC readout at 130. It's not hurting anything for the gauge to read that high-- the only downside, of course, is that you no longer know what your oil pressure is.

Hope this helps,
Fred

Thanks for the replys, Has any one actually fixed this problem? Or are you driving it like that?

Thank you

HI there,
The fix is to replace the oil pressure sensing unit, located behind the intake manifold.
Once the intake is removed, the sensor is pointing straight up, and can be removed.
All told, it would take you about 3 hours to do.
Professionals can do it in 2.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

Yep, I had the same problem and I had to have the sensors replaced. That is what is doing it. Luckily I have an extended warranty so it did not cost me anything.

check out www.ls1howto.com. they've got some good stuff on removing the intake manifold.

c4c5 -- can this be done without disconnecting the fuel line???

sigshooter said:
check out www.ls1howto.com. they've got some good stuff on removing the intake manifold.

c4c5 -- can this be done without disconnecting the fuel line???
HI there,
Sure, just rotate the intake over to the drivers side and lay the intake on the windshield reservoir, still attached to the fuel line.

thanks c4c5, that really simplifies things.:)

hey thanks alot :)

This is the best information place in the net !!!

HI there,
Sure, just rotate the intake over to the drivers side and lay the intake on the windshield reservoir, still attached to the fuel line.
Paul, can I ask you something? If the sending unit is bad, and if we drive it like that for awhile, can it leak? I have the same symptoms posted, and an oil leak from what I believe to be the sending unit.
herbie

Paul, can I ask you something? If the sending unit is bad, and if we drive it like that for awhile, can it leak? I have the same symptoms posted, and an oil leak from what I believe to be the sending unit.
herbie
I'm not Paul but,in my experience oil sending units go to leaking allot!!!!:upthumbs

junk!!

Re-Set Buttom??

My Cars DIC is telling me that my car has oil at 130 PSI, and the gauge is marking Max PSI at 80, this is obviously wrong since it marks it when the engien is not running, however the gauge is not stuck since when you turn it on it goes through the full motion and then settles at 80PSI, can this be correct? Should I continue to drive the car? Also the Car has NO DIC codes on the computer I checked them already.

Any ideas?

Thanks
I've not had the oil problem on DIC; however, my DIC air psi on one of the sensor was stuck very low, others three were normal @ 32 so I hit in the reset button and the odd stem went right to normal reading! Won't hurt to try it when that odd reading is on.

It's those high quality oil pressure sending units that GM is using. It adds quite a bit to the company's bottom line...

Time for a new one....

HI there,
Paul, just ordered a brand new oil pressure sending unit, took off the intake manifold, changed it for a new one and Great! Oil pressure guage running llike normal. Shut her down and three hours later.........pegged at 80psi again! Ok, time to drive home. Next day, psi gauge all over the place, o to 80. What is that?
Herbie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom