Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1959 fuel fill in California

olguy

Corvette
1959 Mille Miglia Red
Hi guys,
I'm new here..I had a '59 with a 350 engine/trans in Mi. Never a problem...got old and gifted it to my son in California. It sat for a few years and he's had it kind of updated. He's had a new fuel tank put in it, added an HEI distributor and a new Holley 650. Other than a stuck lifter, all is sorta well....but....he can't fill the tank from a pump at a normal rate. He says he can only dribble the fuel into the tank...WHAT GIVES??? does anyone have any answers??

First off...Welcome to CAC!:w Next, Our resident 59 expert, Tom, should be by here soon to give you some help. But I might offer this; beings a new fuel tank was installed, is it possible that they might have kinked the hose that connects the filler neck to the tank? Without me actually looking at it and seeing with my own eyes, that is what it sounds like to me. Hopefully Tom will be by soon for you.

Welcome to the CAC.

The fuel filler pipe is the old style large opening and the connector hose is rather short so no chance of it being kinked that I can see. I don't know much about those fuel pump nozzles with the vapor recovery boots on them but they should allow the tank to vent while filling. Also there is a rubber vent line from the top of the tank that vents in the gas fill area beside the filler cap. That should not create any problem though with the vapor recovery nozzle working. It should be as easy as filling a gas can.

I'd run something flexible down the fill tube to see if anything is blocking it and preventing fuel from flowing freely. There should be no restriction between the cap and the tank.

Tom

Thanks guys, I've forwarded this to my California son. I'm sure he'll take note.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom