Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1961 barn find all original

carmike

Corvette
1961 blue
;shrugMy 88 year old father has finally decided to sell his 1961 corvette. He purchased it in 1966/67 and parked it in 1968 in his barn. It is all original and has less than 50,000 miles. I am not sure what would be the best way to do this. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Carmike;help

You could sell it to me... any pics you can post ?
My vote is to keep it original and get it judged.
Good luck,

Welcome to the :CAC carmike!!!

Along with more info, some photos will be most useful in analyzing the situation, which I'm sure our members will be glad to do.

If you need assistance in posting photos, let us know. We have several threads relating to photo posting in the Site Help and Feedback Forum here -----> CLICK.

:wJane Ann

Very exciting, to say the least. One of only 419 Jewel blue with white coves made. It looks like a prime candidate for a frame off restoration. The frame is probably scaley like the chrome but I'd be suprised if it was more than surface rust. The paint leaving the concave recesses of the body is common on cars that just set, especially if they are subjected to extreme changes in temterature like in a non-heated barn.

If it was mine and I wanted to keep it, had the time and place to do a restoration and the $$ I'd carefully take it apart, documenting everything along the way, and do an NCRS restoration on it. Otherwise I'd sell it only to someone that would properly restore it. It's too complete and original to allow it to be hot rodded.

Tom

attachment.php
Thanks for the help and advice. We would love for someone to restore it but it won't be any of us. Where would be the best place to advertise it for sale. We really don't want to move it. It has taken about 7 weeks just to find the keys(in the gas cap), the title(in with old family photos), the hub caps(in the trunk once we got it open). The other info I know about the car is that it is 1961 built in st louis 283 engine 270 hp 4 speed and has factory dual 4 barrel carburator.
attachment.php

Welcome to the CAC, Mike. Here are a couple places you might consider posting the car for sale:

www.corvettetrader.com
www.collectorcartrader.com
www.usedcorvettesforsale.com

And last, but not least, the CAC has a for sale section for Solid Axles, you can find it here:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/shop/showroom/showcat.php?cat=32

Just click on the "Place Add' link at the top right of the window.

Good luck with it. I hope you find someone who will restore it back to it's original glory!

Jason:beer

The fact that it's a 270 horse and the original engine ect. makes a big difference in the value. You might even try Ebay but I'd put a substancial reserve on it.

I agree with Tom - very exciting to say the least! :upthumbs

Post your questions and info as you obtain or think of it and, as you can see, our members will be glad to advise you.

Good luck finding that JEWEL a good home!

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I listed it this evening on CAC. It will be kind of bittersweet to sell it as it has been a conversation piece in my family for 40 years. I just hope that someone will restore her to her former beauty. My Dad still loves to talk about buying it in South Carolina and driving it back home with my Mom. Those were the days... Thanks Carole

Carole, by all means - stick around! Hopefully the Vette will go to a good home, a member here that will post stories and photos of its restoration that you can enjoy and share with your Dad.

We have a great community here and you're welcome to join us on a regular basis. Your Dad may even enjoy our Corvette stories. :upthumbs

Best of luck with the sale!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom