Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1962 Tail Light Problems

oldschoolss

Corvette
Hey guys,

I put the new tail lights in the 62 tonight and i went through the wiring in the rear of the car which is a mess. I just need it hooked up for the rest of the summer and then a new harness is going in this winter.

The way the previous owner had the wiring the car had 3 working tail lights, one working turn signal, and one working brake light. He had it wired so the two outers were brake/tail/blinkers and the inners were just running tail lights.

I took out about 10 of those cheap blue connectors that come with trailer wiring kits out of the harness and put a few new wires in where needed. I went off the wiring diagram I had. New pigtails from corvette central were used and properly spliced into the wiring. I used the pink wire for the drivers side turn signal, the purple wire for the passenger side turn signal, the black wire for the tails, and he black/white wire for the grounds. I wired up the drivers side first with the new housings and everything worked great, except for the passenger side only used the outer as the turn signal/brake light, but both blinkers worked and they lit up nice and bright. I then moved on to the pass side. Wired everything up, turned on headlight switch. The lights flickered on the pass side then nothing. Started doing some tests. Swapped the socket from tail light to tail light then one light came on. Checked the old splices that previous owner had done near the drivers side and one was loose. Cut that out and just twisted wires for testing and both tails now came on but were very dim in comparison to the drivers side.

I tried the blinker and I got nothing. The front turn signal lights up but doesn't blink as well as the light in the dash. I started running some tests and I get power back through the purple wire with the blinker off. I disconnected it by the twist i had put in and the end towards the drivers side and with the wire only connected to the tail light socket it has power going through it when tested with a test light. The ground also seems to be feeding current through. If I put the test light between the grounds on the pass side and the drivers side the light lights up.

What's going on here? Is it possible one of the bulbs or housings itself is bad and feeding current through and messing with the lights? I don't understand how that side worked so well before with the old rigged up wiring and sockets and now doesn't work with all new stuff.

*Side Note*
I did notice while driving the car before when the lights or the blinker was on the gas gauge reading wold go up by 1/4 of a tank.

Thanks,

Scott

My first guess is you have a ground problem on the passenger side.

A strong indication is your last sentence.

Check to make sure you have a good ground from the light socket housing to the frame.
On these old cars, if judging is not a concern, I add a new ground wire connecting all tail lights and then to a good ground on the frame. A poor ground will cause a lot of unusual problems.

Yup, that's what it turned out to be. The ground on the harness on the passenger side wasn't doing anything. I ran a wire connecting the pass & drivers side and that did the trick. Thanks for the help.

Also a new ground to the fuel sender fixed my gas gauge problems.

Yup, that's what it turned out to be. The ground on the harness on the passenger side wasn't doing anything. I ran a wire connecting the pass & drivers side and that did the trick. Thanks for the help.

Also a new ground to the fuel sender fixed my gas gauge problems.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom