Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1963 Corvette locking gas cap vented or non vented??

Blk63Vette

Corvette
1963 Black Corvette
Hello

I wonder if there is someone out there will have the answer Im looking for...I bought a "original" locking gas cap for my Vette...I noticed it does NOT have a "hole" on the top (Chrome part) of the cap...However, underneath it has the GM numbers EE54-3-Z-75. This also have a "vent tube" on the inside of the cap..

I am wondering if this is a Vented cap? or a Non vented cap?

Totally confused! :bash

Blk63Vette,

Welcome to the :CAC

If the casting number inside is EE54-3-Z-75, then it was a GM Accessory Part #985919 -- Catalogue Group 3.028. The original manufacturer was EC Products.

ixt8bk.jpg

1zm1kzn.jpg

It was an across-the-counter Chevy dealer accessory and was vented.​

Hi Heaven 67 another question

Hi

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum...My question is this...Since this does NOT have a hole on the top (chrome part) it is NOT vented??

I have been told that since their is no hole at the top for vent it is Not vented is this true??? Can this ruin my gas tank ? Can it crush my gas tank like a pop can?

thanks
Pete :w

As I said above, it is vented. I've used one on my '67 for over 35 years and it hasn't imploded yet. ;)

:_rock

I agree with 67 Heaven, I had the same locking chrome gas cap on my 66 for 14 years with no problem. For all I know, I may still have it with my old parts as it did not go with the car.
Barrett

As I said in another forum just use it and see if it works without creating vacuum within the tank.

As I said in another forum just use it and see if it works without creating vacuum within the tank.

I agree.... even if it were non-vented it would be much more likely to just stop flowing gasoline to the carb than to damage your tank. Fill the tank and try it for a half-tank or so of gasoline, then listen for a very noticeable whoosh of sucking air as you twist the cap open, like opening a pop can you've gently shaken; no sound, no problem.

FWIW, I bought a new Challenger 340 in 1970. The first time I filled the tank, it only registered 3/4 full. I didn't think much about it. The next time, it only took a quarter of a tank, at which time I looked under the car, only to find that the gas tank had collapsed as the result of a venting problem. It took three months to get a replacement tank (my good friends at Mopar wouldn't pull a tank off the production line of this new hot selling model to replace mine). I replaced the cap but was relegated to driving a brand new car that got nine miles to the gallon with a tank that held four. Needless to say, I did a lot of 'filling' up. That was just one of the countless problems I had with that car which forced me to get rid of it within a year (the worst problem was a drivetrain alignment issue that ate clutches - four in a 11000 miles). Never owned a Chrysler product since, but I sure scratch my head at the prices those pieces of (fill in the blank) are bringing today.

In a pinch, Disconnect and block all lines to the tank except fill, figure out a way to introduce compressed air into the tank, dont over do it, I said in a pinch, it would get you by until new tanks arrives. It's done on motorcycles all the time..............Now , I know there's other way's to pressurize a tank, You could put cap in place if it's non-vented and pressurize thru vent, what ever works.............

Yeah alps66, I remenber those Mopars, they where everywhere, a friend had a 340 six-pak set up, pistol grip 4spd, those where the day's, gas 29.9/gal.........

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom