Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1963 Speedometer Cable

JLMICCA

Corvette
1963 Convertible, 1972 LT-1
This may be a simple question for some but I'm stumped. I have a 1963 Convertible with a fourspeed. The Corvette Assembly Manual and Corvette Shop Manual both show the speedometer cable connected to the driver side of the transmission tailshaft but my cable connects to the passenger side of the tailshaft. Was this something found on early 1963's? The cable currently on the car physically fits and appears intact and well lubed but I have no speedometer/odometer function when it's all connected. Also, the routing is odd...going over the engine, past the distributor then down the passenger side of the bellhousing. Any thoughts out there?

This may be a simple question for some but I'm stumped. I have a 1963 Convertible with a fourspeed. The Corvette Assembly Manual and Corvette Shop Manual both show the speedometer cable connected to the driver side of the transmission tailshaft but my cable connects to the passenger side of the tailshaft. Was this something found on early 1963's? The cable currently on the car physically fits and appears intact and well lubed but I have no speedometer/odometer function when it's all connected. Also, the routing is odd...going over the engine, past the distributor then down the passenger side of the bellhousing. Any thoughts out there?

My best guess is transmission has been changed to a later one causing utilization of different speedo cable.

Original configuration on my 63 (early) is cable attaching to driver's side of transmission, routing through "u" shaped clamp in transmission tunnel and continuing up and in through firewall directly behind speedometer.

Rich:beer

Yup, your transmission has been changed to the '65-up version with the speedo drive on the passenger side. With that arrangement, the speedo cable doesn't go through the '63 hole in the dash just above the clutch pushrod - it goes through the same hole in the side wall of the recess for the wiper motor used for the tach cable (with a 2-hole grommet) as shown below. :)

You are both correct. I found some casting numbers on the trans, specifically P9R014 which my research indicates a Muncie trans manufactured in October of 1969. It is interesting that the cable is currently routed through the early grommet and does fit but the cable comes quite close to the throttle rods. I will attempt rerouting it per the diagram you sent (VERY HELPFUL!!!) and fabricate some clips to retain it. I'm still not sure why it is not functional as is but haven't even had the chance to do some basic trouble shooting (ie. the cable in a drill technique or attempting to remove the driven gear to see if it is stripped). Thanks for the very helpful information.

I found some casting numbers on the trans, specifically P9R014 which my research indicates a Muncie trans manufactured in October of 1969.

That transmission was built in October of 1968 - the year digit (9) in the Muncie "P"-code is for the MODEL year, not the calendar year; one of the "quirks" in transmission dating. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom