Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1967 Ignition Switch Nylon Connector

paul67

Corvette
1974 convertible
The locking tabs are broken off mine and JB Weld is holding the fort at the moment. I wish to replace that connector but it seems that I have to purchase a $400 dash wiring harness to get it!! I don't prefer that option. (And places such as Lectric Limited will not sell components.) Does anyone know a source? Or have one lying around from a previous dash wiring transplant?

ignition001.jpg

Paul: I have a new switch AND the connector. The connector was removed from a working harness and I purchased it from Don Martin at Eagle Wire Products at Carlisle two years ago. (doesn't fit the 63 instrument cluster at ALL)

I have $80.00 US in it and would like to get back out of it for the same. Shipping would be additional. Only what it costs me, no more.

If interested send me an e mail at vettelovers@cox.net.

Rich

Thanks Rich. But I have two switches and only need the connector.

ingition switch

Paul,

I found my self in the same sitution with my 65. I contacted wiringharness.com and the supplies me with the connector which had 6" pigtails. Spliced in the connector and good as new for $25.00.........

:beer

Craig,
Thanks for the tip. I searched their database but can't find that part. And they seem to have the same "We don't sell individual connectors" policy as the other companies do. But I have sent them an e-mail. We shall see.

ignition switch

Paul,
It will require a phone conversation, and they will also make you aware that they can't be responsible should the unthinkable happen. It will take an effort on your part to assure them you are not an idiot but it will be worth it. Just keep that $25.00 dollar number in mind.............:w

No response from them today. And I will not 'phone to LA. More $s than part is worth. Not sure what you mean about unthinkable. The risk is mine. Tie-wraps may be my option.

I basically just give up on these suppliers. They know where to get these old parts and and have them in hundreds but won't sell. To pay $400 for a $1.00 connector is just nonsense.

Ignition switch

Paul,

I can understand your fustration with these kind of suppliers. The unthinkable is an electrical fire. Since these guys are local to me I can give them a call and see if I can acquire the connector and have it sent to you or I'll send it to you. I personally don't think the ties are a good idea. Let me know.
:beer

Here is the reply:

Thank you for your inquiry. We sell complete harnesses. The connector you refer to is part of the dash harness, part 01200. This is in stock for $403.00.

Craig,
If you can wangle one out of them, that would be very much appreciated.

OH, my friends at Lectric Limited are exactly the same.

Me: I need the connector that attaches the harness to the ignition switch.

Them: "We don't have that part".

Me: You build harnesses for a living and use that part in the construction of the harness.

Them: "Yes, we have the complete harness."

Me: Then, in order to build the harness you use the part I am looking for.

Them: "We don't have that part".

Me: Kiss Off and have a great day.

Rich

Rich,
That's exactly the situation. Now if we could find out who supplies them...But then it would be: How many thousands do you want?

Paul,

Your car's wiring may be in excellent shape.

When I did my rebuild, I decided to replace all wiring harnesses throughout the car, not simply for the aesthetics, but as a form of insurance against shorts and potential fires.

Just a thought to add to your burden. ;)

LectricWiring.jpg

With one exception I have not experienced any electrical failures since I bought the 1967 in 2003. In fact not even a lightbulb has blown. I certainly agree that replacing all wiring harnesses is a prudent way to go but realistically I cannot justify the time and expense of doing so. Typically, when I set out to fix something that is not broken....well you know that story.

The one failure was driving home from a stereo shop where I had my KHE-200 head unit installed. The various manipulations under the dash had pulled the ignition switch connector free a wee bit in the absence of the locking tabs. I experienced a total electrical shutdown while making a left turn near my home. In all honesty it felt like time for a garment worn by a certain female astronaut recently. Instinctively I wiggled the ignition switch and the car came back to life.

So I pulled the switch out and discovered the broken off tabs. And re-installed with dabs of JB Weld (and took the pic). No episodes since but that is a solution I had hoped to rectify by a nice, clean splice of a new connector. And that is where this journey to simple parts availability/futility began. I have mocked up a notched tie-wrap securing method but it looks like Hades. But it will definitely NOT move, those ties are strong, and besides is hidden under the dash. Less than a perfect solution but it looks like I'm being forced into it because of the unwillingness of companies to sell me a connector. It seems so ridiculous. Accommodate me now and in future when I may need big $ help, guess where I will go. Marketing is not these firms' strengths.

ignition003.jpg

Have you tried GM for a part# of the connector housing? Then google the pn#. It would be interesting to see what you could find. The harness manufacturers get them from some where. Those days it was the Delco-Packard division of GM. If you could find a 65-66 chev in a wrecker it would be worth a try to see if the connector housing is the same. If it is, its a very simple matter to un-pin the terminals from within the housing and insert your terminals to the replacement housing. Cutting and splicing the wires is the WRONG way to do it. Especially on a classic car.:eek:hnoes

The NCRS people tell me that the Packard/GM number was 2989610. But I can't find that anywhere. Salvage yards around here do not keep cars that old. They have been crushed and shredded.

Yes I'm sure the big guys got rid of all the stuff long ago. I like hitting the hillbilly trailer park kinda guy. It would be nice to get a new one tho. I took a minute and googled the pn#, didn't get too far.
Maybe John Hinckley has a line on that stuff. It's out there. If you find them I'll take one too just for inventory.

Bob,
Thanks for that link but that harness is not in very good shape. In fact much worse than mine. Also the wiring must be 1967-specific if I read the various catalogues correctly. That may apply to the harness only and not the connector. I do not know.

00FXD,
I see where you are coming from but nice soldered splices with heat shrink-wraps would do a nice job in that area.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom